sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Favorite/Least Favorite Destinations For Crews?

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Given the abundant number of crew members in the forum, I was wondering what were certain airlines favorite and least favorite routes to fly or get staffed on? This question isn't meant to offend anyone from a given city or country per se, because the reasons may be multi-fold; they could range from the difficult operational realities of a certain route (late night timings, short layovers given length of flight etc.) or simply the completely subjective views of various crew members on how "fun" certain destinations are to layover in, or sadly in more recent times, how "safe" a destination is percieved to be by an airline (the recent BA pullout from ISB comes to mind). So simply put, what are the most sought after and least sought after crew destinations among different airlines!?
Keep Discovering

EWRCabincrew

RE: Favorite/Least Favorite Destinations For Crews

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 pm

No least favorite here (I make the most of any layover - always something to do or see), but my favorite is (with our current route system) TLV. Hands down. Then YVR.

From former destinations, favorites were: SYD, MNL, PPT

Favorite charter destinations: FRU (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan), DXB and KWI.
You can't cure stupid

castroprauxel

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
my favorite is (with our current route system) TLV

Have always wondered how it looks like for crews on a layover, so I gotta ask: why TLV?

N104UA

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 pm

I know UA crews like SYD because of the 2 day 2 night lay-over and most of the senior ones get all of that time to themselves, junior must do the MEL turn with the 2nd day. Least favorite is MSP in winter or PHL. It is by preference for each person
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

EWRCabincrew

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting CastropRauxel (Reply 2):
so I gotta ask: why TLV

Honestly, I love the flights, the people, the food, the destination, to weather (list goes on). Absolutley everything.

I have my favorite restaurants, gelato shops, market stalls for food, spots on the beach, etc.. What is not to love about it?

The flights have a reputation that is more bark than bite. I, personally, find the flights easy and smooth. Mind you, I expect drama every flight, my expectation level is met and it is all down hill. Easy and smooth.

Just a personal favorite.
You can't cure stupid

NWAESC

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:34 pm

(sits quietly and waits for someone to submit any of the following: MOT, FAR, CID or FNT.)
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

HALFA

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Favorite: SYD. Great walking city, generally nice weather, great restaurants, good wine. We have either 50 or 74 hour layovers which is really nice and highest per-diem rates in our system.

Least Favorite: SMF. The hotel is 30 minutes from the airport, we arrive there late at night and leave very early the next morning with bare minimums regarding crew rest. The hotel is fine, as are the flights and I actually really like the airport there with one of the best food courts for a small airport.

Former Least Favorite: Guam. I'm glad we don't fly there any more. It was really hot and the snake infestation would short out the electricity grids leaving the island with frequent black outs. Oppressive humidity and did I mention how freaking hot it is there? It's really hot.

HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Im not a crew member, but is it true that SNA is a least favorite?

One of our offices is by SNA, so after work sometimes I use AA's SNA-DFW flights and CO's SNA-IAH flights. Alot of the flight attendents I talk to say that they find the passengers to be a bit more to handle of flights to SNA.

From a passenger experiance, I LOVE SNA! Its so easy! Though I tend to use LAX since I live right by it.

Just Curious.
It is what it is...

EWRCabincrew

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Quoting NWAESC (Reply 5):
MOT

MOT? Why not, Minot? Minot rocks!!! We had great layovers there.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 7):
SNA

Any airport you can walk to your hotel from the gate is good in my books. Why wait for the van when you can walk?

Every flight has a reputation for something or another. Bring it on. Make it fun. It makes the job easier, too.

[Edited 2008-09-29 15:58:54]
You can't cure stupid

castroprauxel

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):
Just a personal favorite

Cool, thanks. don't know, maybe it's my personal outsider look on things, but I always thought crews doesn't like this layover as they're afraid of being here. maybe it's just the case with the european ones.

bwaflyer

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 pm

At bmi my least favourite is EMA (East Midlands - crappy airport hotel), and SVX (Yekaterinburg, not a great hotel, not a lot to do, and three clear days there). The ladies dislike IKA (Tehran due to the restrictions on dress, lack of pool facilites, unless the embassy will let us use theirs, and wearing a headscarf, long sleeves and trousers in 40 degree heat). Favourites - would agree TLV as well as AMM, BEY, AMS, BRU, DAM.

Superfly

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:13 pm

SQ_EK_freak:
Do you have any layovers here in San Francisco?  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:27 pm

From former destinations, favorites were: SYD, MNL, PPT

Manila! Spent part of my childhood there, always have and always will love that city!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Do you have any layovers here in San Francisco?

In a about two weeks actually, are you based there?

How do you guys feel about turnarounds? I have never been able to get a consensus on them - some like the fact that they get to go home at the end of the day, while others hate the multiple take offs and landings!
Keep Discovering

MOBflyer

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:29 pm

I had heard that JAN was least liked among WN crews for layovers.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting Sq_ek_freak (Reply 12):
Manila! Spent part of my childhood there, always have and always will love that city!

The food (with me and any city; it is the food), the people, the city. We had 6 day layovers there. AWESOME!!!!
You can't cure stupid

Superfly

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 am

Yes.

That would be awesome to meet up while you're here.
I send an IM asking about your layovers.

How do you guys feel about turnarounds?

I don't have a strong opinion on them.
Bring back the Concorde

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 14):
The food (with me and any city; it is the food), the people, the city. We had 6 day layovers there. AWESOME!!!!

Youre forgetting the girls!!!

Without sounding horrible, I thought the women in Manila were attractive! But I love Asian women!  I live in Torrance, CA so we get lots!

[Edited 2008-09-29 17:34:25]
It is what it is...

burnsie28

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 am

Quoting N104UA (Reply 3):
Least favorite is MSP in winter or PHL

Why is MSP so bad in the winter?

(sits quietly and waits for someone to submit any of the following: MOT, FAR, CID or FNT.)

Well, speaking for a NW DC-9 pilot MOT was definately up there.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 16):
Youre forgetting the girls!!!

Purposely didn't. Big grin More a man's man here. Hard pressed to find any bears in Manila. It's why I stick with food. This bear can eat. Big grin
You can't cure stupid

phelpsie87

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:29 am

sits quietly and waits for someone to submit any of the following: MOT, FAR, CID or FNT.)

I have never heard a crew complain about a layover in FAR/MOT/BIS/GFK etc. What makes you think they would? Small town=small fun? Hardly...

N104UA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 17):

I visit the MSP area 3 Times every winter and every time I am there it is Freezing and there are almost always delays.

Type-Rated

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:40 am

Because it's so frickin' cold! If you have to be a the airport by 6 you'd better get up and leave for the march through knee deep snow and -20F temps by 4am. And if you spend more than a few hours there your skin dries out so much it's an instant case of "winter itch".
And we haven't even mentioned the frozen shut baggage doors on the DC-9!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

dsuairptman

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:40 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 13):

I wouldn't be suprised. The hotel (at least the last one I knew of) that WN uses for crews in JAN is nice, but is smack dab in the middle of downtown Jackson. Not a good place to be out at night considering it's only 2 or 3 blocks to the Ghetto.
GEAUX SAINTS!

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 am

Ummmm....really?

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 18):
Purposely didn't. More a man's man here. Hard pressed to find any bears in Manila. It's why I stick with food. This bear can eat.

Well the food was good there too, but the girls are what I tend to remember the most about a place!  Silly
It is what it is...

3holeflyer

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 19):
FAR/MOT/BIS/GFK etc. What makes you think they would? Small town=small fun? Hardly...

I've spent a fair amount of time with my job in these places, and always liked it. You just have to have an imaginative nack for finding the neat things. The people are clear thinking and good natured, but reserved. After a week of working with a couple of guys (probably Norwegian heritage) and one of them finally looked up one morning and asked "How are you today?", I felt a hump had finally been crossed.

airevents

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:08 am

For me at LH some of the favourites are:

Chicago
(at least in the summer), almost second home to me from April until October

Kuwait
(not much fancy about Kuwait City in my opinion but a great hotel and for me it´s a lazy day in a very pleasant environment)

Sanaa
Is it the most beautiful city in the world? Might easily be the case.

Muscat
Perfect hotel, very pleasant city, nice excursions to the countryside

Tel Aviv
Once you brought the flight behind you, perfect!

The worst:
Dallas
Hotel by the highway, nothing to do.

Atlanta
Similar

In Europe:
favourites:

Oslo, Stockholm
welcome to the civilized world!

Lisbon

Most German destinations (feels like home...)

Worst:
No really bad ones, not a big fan of Madrid somehow, without any reasons. Just a feeling.
www.airevents.com

HAL

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:15 am

Favorites would include SYD, SFO, BWI, and OGG. Least favorites include FNT and EWR. But really, a person's like/dislike of a particular layover is SO dependent on how long the layover is and where hotel is in relation to town. For example, when I flew for AWA we used two different hotels at JFK depending on how long the layover was. The short layover was next to the airport, and was walled off from the neighborhood with barbed wire. Obviously, we didn't go out for walks (my favorite activity), and just ended up staring at the tube or ordering pizza. The long layover however was just two blocks west of times square. No matter when you arrived, you could get something to eat, take walks, see a movie/show, etc. So same airport, but two very different layover experiences. It is the location and duration of a layover that really makes it great or just plain dull.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

wingnutmn

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:16 am

Worst is CWA- shuttle never on time 15-20 min wait, and the most uncomfortable beds at the best western hotel.

Best is PWM- long layover and a hotel right down by the docks. Nothing better than a $12 lobster dinner on a paper plate!

WingnutMN
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

EWRCabincrew

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:19 am

Quoting WingnutMN (Reply 27):
Nothing better than a $12 lobster dinner on a paper plate!

Amen to that, brother. Bring more butter!!!
You can't cure stupid

DualQual

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 8):
MOT? Why not, Minot?

Obligatory USAF response: Freezin's the reason!
There's no known cure for stupid

LHRBFSTrident

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:52 am

My oldest friend was junior with BA during 1999/2000 and she got the 2-day RUH night-stop for the turn of the Millenium.

BA gave all the crew additional staff travel benefits for working such an awful route when they could have stayed home and spent it celebrating 'properly'...of course there's no more BA at RUH/JED/DMM anymore, so a non-issue now!

mashimaro1

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:57 am

My aunt works as a FA for QF. She said JNB seems to be pretty popular and senior with a 2-3 day layover

Soxfan

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 am

Does anyone like layovers, at least sometimes, at smaller US airports? In a sense, it might provide a respite from the hustle-and-bustle of the city, perhaps a chance to relax? Just a personal thought; if I were an FA I'd like to break up the city scene every now and then with the proverbial "picturesque countryside" (as long as the hotel is of good quality and in good proximity to the airport). Of course, I could be unrealistic...

And EWRCabincrew, we are of one mind when it comes to food! I visited TLV recently and if you know the right places to go to it can be really, really good. And yes, there's more to Israeli cuisine than falafel!  Smile
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

Transpac787

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting N104UA (Reply 20):
and there are almost always delays.

But not even close to as bad as ORD  Wink

I can really only speak in an educated manner about international crews for both NW and AA, so here's for them:

NW 744 most-senior: HKG, MNL
NW 330 most-senior: PDX, BKK

NW 744 least-senior: TPE (by a huge margin)
NW 330 least-senior: BOM (again, by a huge margin)

AA 777 most-senior: PVG, NRT
AA 763 most-senior: FCO, FRA

AA 777 least-senior: GRU, GIG
AA 763 least-senior: GRU, GIG

Lexy

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:14 am

What's the feelings from crews about BNA? I have always wondered what they all thought of our humble town.

Please enlighten me.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 33):

Thats just for MIA flights correct? I always thought the DFW-South America flights were more senior than the MIA ones.
It is what it is...

HALFA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:25 am

Favorite charter destinations: FRU (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan),

Interesting that you mentioned this as one of your favorites. We (HA) just hired a few ex ATA flight attendants and one of the girls told me that she flew there regularly and it was one of her favorite places too. I've never been there but may have to add it to my list.

I would LOVE to have GIG layovers!

HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

N104UA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:26 am

Quoting N104UA (Reply 20):
and there are almost always delays.

But not even close to as bad as ORD  

It is not bad as ORD but when it is a 0630 but I fly UA and since no crew base you are delayed a lot because the crew was late getting in the night before and have not had minimum rest yet. Also it is horrible when you must go from MSP and then connect in ORD you can't plan to do anything on that day at your destination because, If you have time to spare travel through O'Hare

katwspotter

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:29 am

Everytime I work the gate in ATW, whether its an XJ or 9E crew the first thing they ask is "wheres the gift shop that sells the cheese curds?" But if you are avernight it sucks cuz by the time they get there its closed and they leave too early in the morning before they open again.
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

Transpac787

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:31 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 35):
Thats just for MIA flights correct?

MIA is an incredibly junior base all around, even for the Europe flights MAD, CDG, etc.

As for DFW, SCL and EZE are the most senior South American destinations, with GRU still being fairly junior bid.

chepos

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:56 am

I have never been a F/A but I used to work in the In-Flight department,
Fos US West- I have heard layovers in ELP,ABQ, and SMF are not the most glamurous.
The long haul East coast daytime flights are prety popular with senior F/A's as you get to layover and when you return home you'll get a couple of days off. In addition to any Hawaii flights, because of course it is Hawaii.
US East- Any European destination is popular with Senior crews, except SNN as it is in the middle of nowere and the F/A's are always bitching about the hotel there.
VCE and BCN are very popular, I've been told the 757 TATL flights most of the time are a little trickier to work as they are so cramped and finding everything is a hassle.
The Caribbean is usually popular as they are mostly turnaround flights, however, SJU is kind of infamous. The SJU A330 flight (when operating) a lot of times suffers from terrible delays which usually allows for the F/A's to become illegal and not have to operate the flight, requiring reserves. Additionally SJU flights are known for usually having drama, sick passengers and an all around freak show-as one F/A described it to me.

Rgds,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

TG992

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:58 am

Favourites: SFO, HKG, KIX, LAX

Least favourites: PER, NRT

Most overrated: YVR

Sadly missed: TPE

Glad they're gone: PPT (call me crazy)
-

JFKPurser

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:02 am

You know, I've been to Paris a gazillion times and speak fluent french, but every time I am there on a layover, I am astounded that I get paid to spend time in such an amazing city.

Rome is pretty amazing, too.

Soxfan

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 am

Pardon my ignorance, but in the US are the guidelines for "minimum rest" dependent on the airline, or are they federally regulated? I would assume 7-8 hours would consistitue minimum rest...or am I being too generous?
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

elcableguy77

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:11 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 34):
What's the feelings from crews about BNA? I have always wondered what they all thought of our humble town.

I've overnighted there a few times, and I like it there. The hotel is pleasant, a good selection of eating and recreation, and the people are nice, too.  Smile

As far as my favorites:
FLL
ISP (wonderful hotel)
BTV (same, but friggin' cold in the winter)
STL
PIT
ILM
GSP
PWM
ROC
CVG

Least favorites (and no, I don't have it out for NY State):
HPN
BGR
MCI (hotel in the middle of nowhere)
ALB (hotel right next to the highway)
ELM (same)
DTW
PHL
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."

727forever

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:11 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 13):

Ditto for DL.

My personal favorites of the regions that I have flown, all must be downtown, are:

United States: SAV (fun town with many awesome tours and pubs.)

Europe: MUC (bier hall anyone? Don't forget the Englisher Garten)

Canada: YUL (Food is amazing and the bars are great)

Least favorite:

United States: MCO (too many kids running up and down the halls no matter where you stay and the prices for food are silly considering it's all Apple Bee's or Friday's = gross)

Europe: OTP

Canada: Haven't had a bad layover in Canada yet but I'm sure there is one...

I think the biggest part of a good layover vs. bad layover is totally the crew that you are with. A good crew can make a boring city fun. I have had some great layovers in CRW, FSD, SLW, and even CAE with great crews. Conversly I have horrible layovers in MIA, BOS, and SEA with boring old men that slam click or even worse go out to Le MacDonalds. Interesting thread.

727forever
727forever

Transpac787

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:12 am

Quoting Soxfan (Reply 43):
I would assume 7-8 hours would consistitue minimum rest...or am I being too generous?

Quite the opposite.... 7 to 8 hours rest is VERY short, almost completely unheard of. I'm not sure if there is an international layover that is that short. Domestic is another story, but even them domestic layovers (at least at legacy carriers) are typically at least 12 hours.

Most international layovers are anywhere from 24 to 48 hours, depending on the airline and route.

B6FA4ever

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 am

for a decent length layover my personal favorites are: Seattle and San Diego (and not just cause i live there), and BOS (though, not between Nov-march)

Least favorite: TPA, ROC, SYR, SLC, JFK, HOU

being based in LA i MUCH prefer working red-eye flights, so i tend to do the short layover daysleeps (arrive early inthe morning...sleep...leave that night). IAD being the top favorite for me!

i hear though, that my counter-parts in BOS and JFK love AUS.

gaystudpilot

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:31 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):

Yes.

That would be awesome to meet up while you're here.
I send an IM asking about your layovers.

Girls, girls, girls... this is not manhunt.

aznmadsci

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 am

Quoting Airevents (Reply 25):
The worst:
Dallas
Hotel by the highway, nothing to do.

I'm definitely curious what foreign crews think of IAH!

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 47):

Least favorite: HOU

What's the HOU layover situation like for you at B6?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.