Cubsrule
Topic Author

Cheap Way To FCA?

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm in the VERY early stages of planning a trip to Glacier National Park next summer, and I've discovered that flights to FCA are pretty expensive. That's actually OK, as neither my wife nor I has traveled very extensively in that part of the country, and we're thinking of renting a car and driving up to 300 miles or so to get there.

My question is this: what airports in that radius tend to have the cheapest flights? This question is complicated a bit by the fact that we're not sure where we'll be living then, but we'll likely be flying from BDL, BNA, or STL-- all WN cities with a good selection of legacy service. WN to GEG seems like something we should check, but what about others, like MSO? Thanks for your help...
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

burnsie28

RE: Cheap Way To FCA?

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Thread starter):
WN to GEG seems like something we should check, but what about others, like MSO? Thanks for your help...

Each of those are quite a drive from fca

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 1):
Each of those are quite a drive from fca

Yup, and as I said, that's totally fine. We wouldn't mind driving a little and seeing a bit more of Montana (and, perhaps, Idaho and Washington) than we'd see if we flew to FCA.

rw717

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 pm

I used to work at FCA and you are right it can be quite expensive. The cheapest airline is going to be Allegient, but that is only from LAS. MSO is only about 120 miles and is a very pretty drive, but not going to be much cheaper. GEG will be cheaper but is about a 250 mile drive, but also very pretty. Maybe you can get a cheap flight on WN to LAS and then catch Allegiant, I don' t know how much that would save you though.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 am

Quoting RW717 (Reply 3):
Maybe you can get a cheap flight on WN to LAS and then catch Allegiant, I don' t know how much that would save you though.

I've always wanted to try G4, but my wife might not approve... too bad.

WESTERN737800

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:27 am

I used to live in FCA (I was about 12 at the time so I dont remember much. Check on prices going into Helena HLN. I'm sure its probaly a longer drive than GEG but you can drive into FCA throug the east side of Glacier Park. I'm not sure you might have to drive through some ranchland but when you get to the park its all worth it. Driving through the park was one the childhood memories I'll never forget, I'm going to go back someday.
Bring back Western Airlines!

rw717

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 4):
I've always wanted to try G4, but my wife might not approve... too bad.

I think your wife would be pleasantly surprised by G4, you have to pay for everything, but then again you have to pay for everything on many airlines these days like US, and the G4 crews tend to be nicer.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

Viscount724

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Probably not cheaper but you could also consider flying to YYC and renting a car. Glacier National Park is on the Canadian border. A Canadian national park called Waterton Lakes is on the Canadian side and is worth a visit. It's had close connections with Glacier Park since 1932 when the Waterton/Glacier International Peace Park was established. Waterton is about 165 miles or a 3.5 hr drive south of YYC.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/Waterton/natcul/inter_e.asp

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:14 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
Probably not cheaper but you could also consider flying to YYC and renting a car.

Thanks; we hadn't even thought of that, and working Canada in a bit is actually sort of attractive. Is it difficult to take a rental car between the US and Canada?

Viscount724

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:59 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 8):
Is it difficult to take a rental car between the US and Canada?

I don't think that's a problem but best to confirm. The only restriction I'm aware of is a Canadian customs regulation that prohibits Canadian residents from bringing U.S.-licensed vehicles into Canada (rental or otherwise) but that wouldn't affect you. Many tourists cross the border with rental cars without any problem.