747400sp
Topic Author

Your Feeling About Planes Being Call Flying Buses?

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:33 pm

There been many saying referring to airliners being called flying buses, for example people will tell a white nickel flyer, that flying it is just like riding a bus, or some people call pilots glorified bus drivers.
Yes there is a company that build airliners called Airbus, but this company two largest airliners ( one being the world biggest) are so luxurious that they should be called Airhotels.

Now I petty ok with it, but do anybody have a problem with airliners being referred to as flying buses? Some can argue that airliners is an altogether new form of transportation and higher class of transportation than a bus. Also smaller airliners like a 737s or A320s are much bigger than the largest highway coaches, as a matter of fact I look at airliners as some thing bigger than a bus and smaller that a train.
So do dislike airliners being call flying buses, or it do not bother you?

ktrick45

RE: Your Feeling About Planes Being Call Flying Bu

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 am

Well, "bus" is an abbreviation of the original "omnibus," Latin for "everybody." An airliner is a conveyance that everybody (omnibus) can use, so I guess it would be appropriate. But airliners most often have different classes of service, and that contradicts the original omnibus concept, and in that sense, they're quite different from highway buses. I'm not going to worry about it, though.

wilco737

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:44 am

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
There been many saying referring to airliners being called flying buses, for example people will tell a white nickel flyer, that flying it is just like riding a bus, or some people call pilots glorified bus drivers.

I must say I don't care about that anymore. If anybody tells me I am riding a bus at 35000 feet and I am driving my airplane through the air - fine with me. I won't argue with those people.
I heard a lot of comments like: "You are just an overpaid busdriver; what is the difference in your job and a bus driver - nothing, you just take people from A to B" etc etc etc. My reply: "Yes." Big grin

So, I am not bothered at all. It is my job and I know what I am doing up there and if someone thinks it is like driving a bus, fine with me.  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ACDC8

Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 am

Well, I'm a bus driver, so I my answer is somewhat biased .... Big grin

If people ask me what I do for a living, I just tell them I drive an Airbus, but without the air .....  Silly
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

wilco737

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:18 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
If people ask me what I do for a living, I just tell them I drive an Airbus, but without the air ..... Silly

If you live and work in Hong Kong, then you can leave it as Airbus. On some orange busses you see "Airbus" written on it.

So no problem at all to call an Airbus driver a bis driver  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:49 am

Its what everyone feels like calling.......Its their choice....To me it makes no difference.
I believe Pilots & AMEs in Aviation are Drivers & Mechanics on an automobile.Its the same thing,except the Area of work varies.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

levent

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 am

It really depends on the type of aircraft and the type of service.

If you fly on a 50-seat CRJ200, the resemblance is very much there. Standard buses seat 50 pax as well I believe. This one just happens to have wings too.

If you fly on a short-haul low cost carrier service, you just get on the plane at point A and get off at point B. Nothing glamorous about these flights.

But a long-range flight on a nice legacy carrier like Singapore Airlines or Qatar Airways is a whole different story. I truly enjoy being a passenger on these flights so I wouldn't say that is like riding on a bus.

Having said the above, I generally like flying anyway, whether it's like getting on a bus or not!

nema

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:59 am

I was a little unhappy with the term at one time, never really liked the name 'Airbus' even though i liked the product. A little like other replies above, guess i have adjusted to the term but i dont think it is a clever analogy.

I mean, why have i never heard airtrain or airboat or aircar..because they dont fit. Aircraft and air travel loses its tremendous nostalgia and stuff when these 'bus' terms get pushed to easily and in my view incorrectly into the terminology.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

henkybaby

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:23 pm

I was under the impression that on a modern day airliner a pilot is more like a computer operator than a bus driver.  Smile
Wherever you go, there you are!

fbgdavidson

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 4):
If you live and work in Hong Kong, then you can leave it as Airbus. On some orange busses you see "Airbus" written on it.

They used to have one of these at Heathrow. I have a pretty good photographic memory and remember when I was about 6yrs old stopping at Heathrow to see the aircraft and in particular Concorde. One of these busses must have gone past because a couple of days later my father went on a business trip to somewhere in Europe. Upon his return I asked him how it was and he told me he went on an Airbus. God, was I confused!

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Viscount724

Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:26 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 9):

They used to have one of these at Heathrow. I have a pretty good photographic memory and remember when I was about 6yrs old stopping at Heathrow to see the aircraft and in particular Concorde. One of these busses must have gone past because a couple of days later my father went on a business trip to somewhere in Europe. Upon his return I asked him how it was and he told me he went on an Airbus. God, was I confused!

Canadian regional carrier Pacific Western Airlines (which merged with Canadian Pacific Airlines/CP Air in 1987 to form Canadian Airlines) had a branded "Airbus" shuttle service between 1963 and 1987 between Calgary (YYC) and Edmonton (YXD, the close-in Municipal Airport, now City Centre Airport, very close to downtown Edmonton). For most of its existence from 1969/70 onwards that "Airbus" was operated by Boeing 737-200s. At its peak in the 1980s there were up to 16 flights daily in each direction on that route.

The "Airbus" brand was very widely known in that market and people would often just say they were "taking the Airbus". When the new YYC terminal building was built in the mid-1970s, one gate area was designed specifically for the PWA Airbus service with several gates located very close to the departure level roadway so you could get from a car/taxi to the gate in about 1 minute.

ACDC8

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:32 am

LOL! Thanks for giving me hope ....  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
Canadian regional carrier Pacific Western Airlines (which merged with Canadian Pacific Airlines/CP Air in 1987 to form Canadian Airlines) had a branded "Airbus" shuttle service between 1963 and 1987 between Calgary (YYC) and Edmonton (YXD, the close-in Municipal Airport, now City Centre Airport, very close to downtown Edmonton). For most of its existence from 1969/70 onwards that "Airbus" was operated by Boeing 737-200s. At its peak in the 1980s there were up to 16 flights daily in each direction on that route.

I remember CP coming up with the "Skybus" service as well.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

acNDTTech

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Calling them a "bus" is kind of common anymore. I bet that if the ammeneties started coming back - meals, free drinks, etc, - it may change the way people view this mode of transportation. I've never ridden on a long haul bus before, but I could imagine that it wouldn't be too great of an experience. To some folks, I bet they get the same feeling on long trips, as being on a bus. Now I HAVE been on a 6 hr. train ride once in my life. I enjoyed that, and you never hear anyone refer to a train as a "bus."

henkybaby

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:26 pm

The busses in Argentina can be compared to business class flying....

http://www.igougo.com/story-s1319736..._of_Bus_Services_in_Argentina.html
Wherever you go, there you are!

Delta767300ER

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 pm

If they are talking about the former PeopleExpress or Southwest then I can understand. Other than that, they are wrong.

-Delta767300ER

747400sp
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting Levent (Reply 6):
It really depends on the type of aircraft and the type of service.

If you fly on a 50-seat CRJ200, the resemblance is very much there. Standard buses seat 50 pax as well I believe. This one just happens to have wings too.

If you fly on a short-haul low cost carrier service, you just get on the plane at point A and get off at point B. Nothing glamorous about these flights.

MCI's latest model of the E4500 ( LX as it called now), is more luxurious than a CRJ200.