Soxfan
Topic Author

How Comfortable Are Pilot Seats?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:47 pm

In looking at some of the cockpit photos on the database I'm curious how comfortable pilot seats really are, especially given that pilots can sit in them for hours at a time. Are they adjustable, do they have a lot of padding and lumbar support, etc.? I'm sure it also depends on the type of plane. Thanks for your thoughts!

Soxfan  Smile
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

UltimateDelta

RE: How Comfortable Are Pilot Seats?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:01 pm

When I was little, I got to sit in the captain's seat of a TW DC-9, and I remember it was really hard in the back and on the actual part where you sit. It seemed to only be covered in a thin velcro-attached cushion over metal. I don't know if they've been improved since then, but that's what that one was like.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

PGNCS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:23 pm

There are many different kinds of seats which vary widely in comfort. The DC-9 and MD-80 seats are pretty comfortable, actually. Most do have lumbar support that's adjustable, although I don't recall that in the old style DC-9 seats. The L-1011 seats were very comfortable, the 727 and 737 seats are marginal (and hard to get in and out of), the newer style seats in our newer 757's are without question the least comfortable I have ever sat in.

I have no knowledge of the different models or manufacturers of the seats, so I can't be more specific other than to say that this is my experience. Hope it helps!

phxpilot

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:45 am

When I flew the Dash 8 we had seats from two different manufacturers. The seats from IPECO were hell. The others were fairly comfortable, with manual lumbar support.

On the CRJ-200, the seats were so so. No lumbar and no headreast. On the CRJ-900 it was like being in an easy chair. Soooo comfortable! Great cushioning and support, lumbar and soft headrests.

acNDTTech

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:04 am

L-10 seats are nice.....but the real answer to this question boils down to this: Does the pilot own the plane or not? One of the most comfortable seats that I've ever sat in was in a Piper Arrow. The person that owned the plane was a chiropractor, and when he had a new interior done for the plane, he pretty much designed the seats (4) and the company made it for him. Man, I sure liked it when he used to let me borrow his plane!