Aviacentre
Topic Author

Creating The Ultimate Airfare Website...thoughts?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 am

Greetings A.netters,

I'm curious... If you could start your own airfare booking agency, what new features would you include? How would you make it better than any other website? Can you think of something innovative that would make it really unique? What would be something incredibly useful that isn't offered already on other airfare websites?

In general, how can you make a better airfare website?
Proud Graduate of UND Aerospace

PPVRA

RE: Creating The Ultimate Airfare Website...though

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:22 am

It's always really annoying to type in all that schedule info, so maybe something more graphical. . . like a map you click first on your origin and then on your destination, then the page switches to a nice and big calendar that you just have to click on the dates. A third page that shows the result of the search but also has filters you can add, such as flight times, non-stop only, a place to click for discount/senior fares, etc. A button on the page with those +Hotel+Car Rental things should be nice too.

Also, some kind of way that is easy to change options without going back to step 1.

My two cents anyways.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

nighthawk

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 1):
It's always really annoying to type in all that schedule info, so maybe something more graphical. . . like a map you click first on your origin and then on your destination, then the page switches to a nice and big calendar that you just have to click on the dates. A third page that shows the result of the search but also has filters you can add, such as flight times, non-stop only, a place to click for discount/senior fares, etc. A button on the page with those +Hotel+Car Rental things should be nice too.

OT: Microsoft revealed a rival to Adobe Flash, called Silverlight a while back. One of the demos they included to show the power of the new technology was exactly what you described above. I cant access it at work because the site is blocked, but searching for it on the net suggests you can find the demo here: http://delay.members.winisp.net/SilverlightAirlinesDemo/

NOTE: You will need Microsoft Silverlight 1.1 browser plugin installed to view it.

Vasu

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Aircraft Type!

Seems many websites have taken this vital piece of info away (at least at the initial stages of booking!)

Superfly

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:14 pm

What's in it for us if you are successful with ideas you get from other members?  dollarsign   idea 
Bring back the Concorde

HT

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 pm

An easy to use search&booking engine to enter multi-city itineraries with minimum 6 segments to enter and the option to specify date / time and airline for each segment.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Aviacentre
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
What's in it for us if you are successful with ideas you get from other members?

A tour of my $16.2M mansion?

Superfly

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting Aviacentre (Reply 6):
A tour of my $16.2M mansion?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Oh well I had some real good ideas but I'll keep those secret.  Smile

Actually here is a free tip.
A 1-800 number to call in case things get screwed up.
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:31 am

One thing that I would do is have the site include add-on fees.

For example, in the field where you put in your origin, destination, dates, times, etc. also put in the number of bags you want to check and whether you are going to request "premium" seating.

That way, if OneAir charges $90 for a ticket, but no 1st bag fee and TwoAir charges $80 but a $25 1st bag fee, you actually see what the final cost is.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aviacentre
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Any further discussion? I thoroughly enjoyed reading some of your points. I am doing some work in school in regards to consumers and online airfare websites, and I needed some user input -- and I'm certainly happy with what I got.

Thanks again, and please feel free to continue brainstorming...