nygfan84

Flights To SA For World Cup For US DM Member

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 am

Hi I know it is very early but I am planning on going to the world cup in South Africa next summer. When is the earliest time that one can book dividend miles star alliance tickets? I have about 80,000 miles and hope to maybe snag a business class seat to JNB. I don't really care about my routing but it has to be on a star alliance carrier. What would be the best option from NYC? I don't mind stopping in Europe to get there and do all the carriers have the same mileage requirements? Thanks

BreninTW

RE: Flights To SA For World Cup For US DM Member

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:34 am

SA might be your best option (JFK - JNB nonstop). Otherwise, LH and LX also fly Europe-JNB.

Be aware though that one of my friends is a *A member, and has had endless problems cashing in miles on Europe-JNB flights.

I would imaging you could book from about 300 days before your flights ... I've done exactly that when cashing in miles on CX (oneWorld, admittedly).

TonyBurr

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 am

You can generally book 330 days out, but good luck getting any MP ticket to SA, especially during the World Cup. In addition to SA you can use TAP, LH , Egypt Air, Turkish and LX. However 60,000 miles will not get you a Business Class ticket, maybe an economy.

andz

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 am

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 2):
However 60,000 miles will not get you a Business Class ticket, maybe an economy.

According to the SAA website, USA-SA business class will cost between 150,000 and 300,000 Voyager miles, or 80,000 miles for an upgrade from economy.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

koruman

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:03 am

Bear in mind that you might find that the only way to get match tickets is as part of a paid Business or First Class package with Emirates!

nygfan84

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:07 am

I have a friend in South Africa who has a hook up with tickets so I am not worried about that. I am just thinking about the best way of getting down there with 80-100 miles range.

A340ANDRE

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 3):
According to the SAA website, USA-SA business class will cost between 150,000 and 300,000 Voyager miles, or 80,000 miles for an upgrade from economy.

I am flying IAD-JNB and JFK-DKR-JNB regularly. The chance is almost zero to book a Business Class seat with miles.

I normally buy a Business ticket or book the lowest fare upgradable y-class ticket, which is K-class. Upgrades are not that difficult to get if you are flying JFK-DKR-JNB. BTW the current non-stop from IAD-JNB will return over DKR again in the US summer. The JFK-JNB leg will be a non-stop from summer.

Upgrades on the IAD leg is more difficult to get.

HT

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:01 pm

Quoting Nygfan84 (Thread starter):
I don't really care about my routing

Have you considered to fly in CPT as an alternative to JNB ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

LipeGIG

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting Nygfan84 (Thread starter):
Hi I know it is very early but I am planning on going to the world cup in South Africa next summer. When is the earliest time that one can book dividend miles star alliance tickets? I have about 80,000 miles and hope to maybe snag a business class seat to JNB. I don't really care about my routing but it has to be on a star alliance carrier. What would be the best option from NYC? I don't mind stopping in Europe to get there and do all the carriers have the same mileage requirements? Thanks

I would say that being World Cup a premium event, i believe all airlines will block FF seats as more as they can just because they will be able to sell all C/F seats with premium.
So i agree with others, buy the lowest Y fare that allow upgrade and ask for it as soon as possible. It might be the only way.

Also consider new routes that shall be announced like GRU-JNB (TAM).
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !