Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Dual Airline Livery

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:07 pm

From 1971 to 1986, a full 15 years, Air-India maintained two distinct liveries, one for their B707 fleet and the other for their B742 and A300 fleet.......

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Vandervord

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ed Groenendijk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yakfreak - VAP

Were there any other airlines that did this...? I would exclude the instances of two liveries existing side by side during the transition phase from the old to the new and the special one-off liveries.....I'm talking of a distinct, separate livery for an entire aircraft type in the fleet.....

petertenthije

RE: Dual Airline Livery

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Aeroflot had a different livery per airplane type. Only after the introduction of the Tu-154 the standard livery was introduced.
Attamottamotta!

aloha73g

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Hawaiian dis through most of the 1990s and early 2000s.

DC10s:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Rodriguez - Iberian Spotters

DC9s:

View Large View Medium

Photo © OGGturbojets

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

runway24r

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 pm

I suppose British Airways had one livery for their Concorde fleet whilst the rest had the world tails for a few years...

Edit: That's the last time I try to be smart with the inserting photos... I'll have to do learn how to properly do it when I have a bit more time!  Smile

[Edited 2009-01-16 13:47:39]
A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A346, 732, 733, 736, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, CRJ700, MD80

NWADC9

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers
View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Robitaille
View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography

Basically, props wore different colors than jets.
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

swabrian

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Delta had different liveries for their CV-880s and DC-8s when they were introduced. You will find that most of the old trunk carriers had new jet liveries and kept their props like the DC-6, DC-7, Connies, and Convairliners in old liveries.

Viscount724

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 pm

When NW introduced the livery on the DC-8 below in 1960 which lasted until 1969 when the livery shown on the 747 was introduced, they didn't change the previous livery on propeller types (DC-6B, DC-7C, L188 Electra) which remained in the 1950s livery until they were retired.

I think some L188 Electras survived with NW until about 1971-72 with the 1950s livery, a couple of years after the livery on the 747 was introduced, so the L188s were then two liveries behind.

1960 and 1969 liveries.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dean Straw
View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Groot

1950s livery (the first 2 of NW's 5 DC-8-30s, their first jets, were delivered in that livery and the last 3 in the livery on the DC-8 above).

View Large View Medium

Photo © Burger Collection
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mel Lawrence

PanAm747

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Going by Aloha73G's example, American had a "different" livery for their A300's vs. the rest of the fleet:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerard Helmer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer

Hawaiian's DC-10's were ex-AA birds, so instead of painting, the silver polish was left on.

As for the A300's, the original models were made of different material that did not lend itself to the reflective polished look of Boeing's or McDonnell Douglas, so AA used a gray paint for a while to "match" the fleet.

Eventually, the A300's got the polished look, so the "one-off" scheme didn't last:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josué Saavedra

Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

JBo

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
Going by Aloha73G's example, American had a "different" livery for their A300's vs. the rest of the fleet:

Hawaiian's DC-10's were ex-AA birds, so instead of painting, the silver polish was left on.

Except that the two HA liveries Aloha showed us are different beyond just painted vs. bare metal. The stripes are also different.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

san747

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:26 pm

If NW and Airlink will count here, then I think AA and MQ clearly qualify too...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McKnight
View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McKnight

Scotty doesn't know...

NWOrientDC10

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:50 pm

American had a "different" livery for their A300's vs. the rest of the fleet:

so AA used a gray paint

It was the same with EA's A300's; they had either the gray or white livery:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas D. Mayes, Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin West

Eventually, the A300's got the polished look, so the "one-off" scheme didn't last:

I don't think any of EA's were in the bare metal, polished scheme like this DC-9:

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Oates

Also, EA's A300's were probably their only a/c to have a gray scheme.

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

UltimateDelta

Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:11 am

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 10):
Also, EA's A300's were probably their only a/c to have a gray scheme.

No, actually some of their 727s also were gray. Maybe some L-1011s were, too. Or maybe just white.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

JBo

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:35 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 9):

If NW and Airlink will count here, then I think AA and MQ clearly qualify too...

If you look closely enough, nearly all the regional brand liveries - at least the first generations thereof - varied from their manline counterparts: US and MQ both had white instead of bare metal. NW's orient scheme also had grey instead of bare metal, and then of course went red when the bowling shoe came out. The Saul-bass era UA livery had stripes that fanned out on the Express fleet and a different logo on the tail.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

cpd

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 am

QF is another one at the moment - merely because of the time it takes to shift all planes over to the new identity.

At one time, they did have a blue/white 747 with one of the BA world tails, but it was the exception, rather than the rule. At another time, they had a few different colour schemes - including the Australia Asia colours, and later the "Australian" brand - which was actually a very clever and eye-catching play on the traditional Qantas kangaroo logo.

While not a dual livery airline, BA did have a SQ liveried Concorde in its fleet. BA on one side, SQ on the other. It was Alpha-Delta, one of the earlier Concordes in the BA fleet. It operated under numerous regos too - N94AD (for America), and G-N94AD (for elsewhere).

Viscount724

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 10):

As far as I know, that's not correct. I can't recall ever seeing an EA A300 in bare metal. In fact, I think AA's A300s are the only Airbus aircraft anywhere in the world that do not have fully painted fuselages. AA had to wait for the Airbus warranty to expire before removing the paint as Airbus considers the paint to protect against corrosion.

NWADC9

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 13):
QF is another one at the moment - merely because of the time it takes to shift all planes over to the new identity.

Quoting Gr8Circle (Thread starter):
exclude the instances of two liveries existing side by side during the transition phase from the old to the new and the special one-off liveries.....I'm talking of a distinct, separate livery for an entire aircraft type in the fleet.....

Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 9):

Quoting JBo (Reply 12):
If you look closely enough, nearly all the regional brand liveries - at least the first generations thereof - varied from their manline counterparts:

I would not include the regional brands...those are created with a distinct identity of their own, yet there is a need to retain the link to the parent.....so, can't really count them....

Thanks for all the replies above.....it's been very useful reading....

NWADC9

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:27 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 16):
I would not include the regional brands...those are created with a distinct identity of their own, yet there is a need to retain the link to the parent.....so, can't really count them....

Then what about Mesaba's and (earlier) Pinnacle/Express I's case with the props in red and the jets like a Northwest plane?

Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 17):
Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 16):

Then what about Mesaba's and (earlier) Pinnacle/Express I's case with the props in red and the jets like a Northwest plane?

Well, this is my personal opinion, and some may differ....but I would not count it.....the regional needs to have it's own identity and that's why the livery differs....in the case of AI, there was no difference...all three aircraft types in the opening thread were proper AI and nothing else....