plairbus

Staralliance, Skyteam Or ONEworld?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:46 am

With CO leaving Skyteam, I am just thinking about the 3 Airline Alliance that we have.
I am memeber of Oneworld with Iberia, and I really have to say thay ONEworld is is think the worst.
I personally like Skyteam, good service. I am Skyteam Elite and even if they do not have so much members, for me travaling most between Europe and North and Central America, Aeromexico, Air France, Air Europa, Delta and CO works really well for me.
Star Alliance I do not know because I am not a member of it, but I have a lot of people saying that it is difficult to earn miles, only if you fly a lot in Business or First you get a lot of miles.
What do you gusy think about what we have.?

Elite

RE: Staralliance, Skyteam Or ONEworld?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 am

What do you dislike about oneworld? Personally, I would say oneworld is my favorite, as has a few airlines that I love.

Qantasistheway

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 am

I love oneworld because I am Australian (and therefore adore Qantas  Big grin ) I do also find that oneworld has some great airlines such as QF, BA and LAN. Mos parts of the world are covered - of course its no STar Alliance where you can go anywhere but I love the airlines that are in oneworld and I always look for oneworld flights first. Have never thought of joining Skyteam because they dont seem to go very far south and only a few operators do head towards Asia-Pacific.

Cheers.

Elite

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 2):
I love oneworld because I am Australian (and therefore adore Qantas Big grin )

Same here, except replace Australian with Hong Kong and Qantas with Cathay Pacific  bigthumbsup .

To me, oneworld is really diverse because they have airlines that cover almost every major destination that I go to. However, I don't see any major players joining OW in the future, and that is a downside, especially with other alliances seemingly ready to add some heavy hitters.

elevate

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

Skywards...  Wink

I'd say; Star Alliance, One World then Skyteam (but I have nothing but praise for KL).

CXfirst

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm a StarAlliance guy. Have always been with them as my dad was a member with SK as we are from norway. I am a member with TG.

I also have membership with OW with CX (Asia Miles, so no status).

Never travel with Skyteam because they're very hard to travel with from Australia, IMHO.

Quoting Plairbus (Thread starter):
Star Alliance I do not know because I am not a member of it, but I have a lot of people saying that it is difficult to earn miles, only if you fly a lot in Business or First you get a lot of miles.

I travel only in Y, and I managed to get Star Alliance gold, although I'm not it anymore, but I find it very hard to get status with Oneworld. With BA you practically only can get miles with C or F, and flying QF in Australia does not get me miles on Asia Miles, as the only qualifying ticket price is the ultra high full-priced one!

-CXfirst

tennis69

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:39 am

My home is in Atlanta, which by default makes me a loyal Sky Team member. Since I work in Asia (China and Vietnam), this alliance has really paid off for me. With 6 trips each year between Ha Noi or Guangzhou and Atlanta I fly either CZ or KE. Keeps me platinum medallion elite plus year after year.

davehammer

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:35 pm

OneWorld for me. Based in London, with my partner's family in the states. BA/AA is more than adequate for my needs. Plus I like the J products on BA, CX and QF more than any Star or Sky carrier bar SQ. Tried Lufthansa once and just wasn't as enjoyable as the others, same with AF though I do like KL. Traveller Plus is also very useful for Tier Points and Miles on BA and QF, so personally OneWorld for me. Not too obsessed with sticking with one alliance though. I like flying different carriers regardless of alliance, e.g my favourite intra US carrier is F9, not part of any alliance!

tennis69

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:39 pm

My home is in Atlanta, which by default makes me a loyal Sky Team member. Since I work in Asia (China and Vietnam), this alliance has really paid off for me. With 6 trips each year between Ha Noi or Guangzhou and Atlanta I fly either CZ or KE. Keeps me platinum medallion elite plus year after year.

staralliance38

Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm a Star guy here. Had Silver with US, but then I losti t  Sad. I also lost my Silver card  Sad.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):
I'm a StarAlliance guy. Have always been with them as my dad was a member with SK as we are from norway. I am a member with TG.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):
I travel only in Y, and I managed to get Star Alliance gold,

TG has the lowest requirements for Star Silver and Gold. When I went to Europe, I had a hard time deciding if I wanted Star Silver with TG or a free ticket for my US account. I eventually got my free ticket, but I kinda wish I got my TG Silver lol.

For me, It would be

Star (2 carriers flown)
SkyTeam (2 carriers flown)
OneWorld (0  Sad carriers flown)

I'm hoping I can fly AA soon so I can compare the 3 alliances
Roar, lion, roar

burnsie28

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:59 pm

even before the days for NW joining Skyteam I found Skyteam worked best, with the most options and what not, never really been a fan of the Star Alliance, and Oneworld to me has always been a joke, couple quality airlines but huge holes otherwise until they added JAL. But then you can argue they also have a bulk of the crappiest service airlines, I have heard nothing good about Iberia. Finnair, Royal Jordanian, LAN, and Malev don't offer that much to the alliance that others don't cover.

Qantasistheway

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 10):
Royal Jordanian, LAN

Clearly you haven't read many trip reports. There are actually some very good ones about these two airlines. And you say that oneworld does not have that many quality carriers? It certainly has more than skyteam. And Skyteam also has some huge holes in their network - more than one world.

LAXintl

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 pm

From where I live and the destinations I fly to the most frequently(JFK, MIA, Europe and Asia) Star is my primary alliance of choice followed by OW.
I'm top level flyer on both, however have a preference for Star members, service, and program benefits. I find OW more restrictive in routing and flight options due its smaller membership base.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California