ClassicLover
Topic Author

World's Top 10 Scariest Airports

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Cool article from Travel & Leisure magazine as reported in the Sydney Morning Herald on the world's top 10 scariest airports.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...ariest-airports-20090203-7wix.html

The list is -

1. Paro Airport, Bhutan

2. Princess Juliana International Airport, St. Maarten

3. Reagan National Airport, Washington D.C.

4. Gibraltar Airport, Gibraltar

5. Matekane Air Strip, Lesotho

6. Barra Airport, Barra, Scotland

7. Toncontin Airport, Tegucigalpa, Honduras

8. John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York

9. Madeira Airport, Funchal, Madeira

10. Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, Saba, Netherlands Antilles

You can see the list at the above link with explanation as to why they were chosen, along with a load of pictures of each of the airports also.

Do you agree on this Top 10?  Smile
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

cloudyapple

RE: World's Top 10 Scariest Airports

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 pm

It would be nice if they could list the definition of being "scary". JFK was on the list for "having to avoid traffic for KLGA and KEWR". I can't imagine pilots are responsible for their own separation from other traffic. What do they think procedures are designed for? And what do they think ATC is there for?
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

migair54

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Well..

I agree with some of them but not with all.

I have been in Toncontin many times and I prefer to land in 2, 3 and 4.

La Aurora in Guatemala, Insbruck, Courchevelle in France or Aspen in Colorado could be in that list.

PanAm747

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm

For the first time traveller, San Diego should be included in that list, especially if approaching from the north, and doubly so if arriving in an EM2...
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

DAL763ER

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:28 pm

I've landed in FNC and JFK and they're some of the best approaches I know Smile

UN_B732

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:31 pm

I don't think JFK belongs on that list. Doesn't feel any different to the pax.. If you're gonna put an American airport on there, why not Telluride or Orange County?

-A
What now?

richierich

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:52 pm

JFK? Really?

If they include JFK because its traffic has to avoid LGA and EWR, then why are EWR and LGA not on the list too?
Surely LGA, with three of the four runway ends surrounded by water, would be a "scarier" candidate than JFK. JFK has 14,500ft and 11,000ft long runways, for gosh sakes! Not to mention that LGA is surrounded by the confines of a major metropolitan conurbation!
And what about EWR? Nothing too scary about its location, but they have had a series of near-misses and runway incursions over the past few years. Surely that bumps it up the scariness scale...

Personally, I don't think JFK (or LGA or EWR) should be in the Top 10. A little ridiculous when lumping one of the major US airports in with a tiny Scottish airport that most people have never heard of, never mind flown from.

I'm sure there are plenty of urban airports all around the globe that deserve a spot on the "scariest" list. I could also think of a few "Third World" (I hate that term) countries with airports that I would hate / be scared going to.
None shall pass!!!!

yvr1968

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Try Terrace (YXT) or Castlegar (YCG) in Canada. Talk about scary. It's like you are on a dive bombing run! All those mountains!

IBERIA747

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Quoting MIgAiR54 (Reply 2):
La Aurora in Guatemala

La Aurora??.

Don't know but...after taking off and landing there lots of times (lived in Guatemala for 6 years), I never saw that airport as a very difficult one. Of course it's not CDG (altitude, runway length, nearby buildings, high terrain in the area) or MAD or any other "easier" airport but I would say there are several more "challenging" airports in Latin America such as Quito, La Paz, Cuzco, Santos Dumont, Congonhas and several others (TGU has been mentioned already) .
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

OzarkD9S

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 pm

I've seen far scarier sights INSIDE almost any given airport terminal.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

AA737-823

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:25 pm

No, no, no, no, no.
Tegucigalpa is WAY scarier than Washington National.
And SXM? Just because the French can't keep their wheels off the perimeter fence, doesn't mean it's a scary airport.

MAS777

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:26 pm

i would put LHR up there somewhere.. disgusting toilets, crumbling terminals, taxiway congestion, awful road access, virtually non-existant rail links, lost bags, the list goes on - but i guess many of us still 'have' to call it home.. lol...

:0)

united

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Ok, maybe the approach isn't that scary, but I'm pretty sure FNJ is much scarier... just by the feeling of being in such an isolated unique place where your every move is being watched! Scary, but exciting!
The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of Delta Air Lines.

Pyrex

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:04 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Thread starter):
Do you agree on this Top 10?

Well, I must admit that, of that list, I have only really been to Funchal (FNC) but I must admit, it is a scary ride, exactly as described (depending on the direction of the wind, of course). And those mountain rollers make for some bumpy landings. At least now it is no longer the tiny airstrip it was before.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

beertrucker

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm

I agree with DCA. I love flying in on that one. If anyone you have never flown in on DCA this will give you an little bit of an idea of it. But these don't do it compared to the real thing.

This the departure and what every plane does when it leave on I think it is runway 1.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...Air_Lines_Aviation_Video-7065.html

Now here is 2 landings coming into DCA. And yes you got to love the sound of the 727 on the first video. Just liesten to the power up.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra..._Airlines_Aviation_Video-5830.html

and another one on a better day. Sorry I can't find one that shows it from the other side of plane landing so you see the capital building or should I say a good one that shows how the turn feels

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...S_Airways_Aviation_Video-6196.html

From the ground this is what a take off and a landing looks like.
http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra..._Airlines_Aviation_Video-3496.html

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...Air_Lines_Aviation_Video-4518.html
Fly HI

csturdiv

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 6):
Not to mention that LGA is surrounded by the confines of a major metropolitan conurbation!

Like MDW. On approach all you see is house, house, street, house, house, street, house, runway. And it seems like the WN pilots come in there like a Navy pilot coming into a carrier and hoping they hit the cables. Dunno, maybe it is just me that feels that way.  Smile
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

allrite

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 9):
I've seen far scarier sights INSIDE almost any given airport terminal.

Okay, how about a top 10 for scariest immigration queues in airports!  Smile
I like artificial banana essence!

rb211

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 am

SFO definitely bugs me out. The actives are just too close together for comfort. There have been times when I could see the people on the other planes when we were on final approach almost completely parallel. As Keith Jackson would say, "Woah Nellie!"
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

MHTripple7

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:21 am

1. Paro Airport, Bhutan

Having flown into this airport not to long ago, I can definitely say that this approach is the most difficult in the world. To fly an A319 through weaving narrow valleys through the Himalayas is not easy! These pilots definitely have some skill. If you're interested, feel free to view my Trip Report into Paro that includes landing and takeoff videos.

Drukair A319 PBH-DEL In Y W/TONS Of Pix/Vid (by MHTripple7 Jan 10 2009 in Trip Reports)

SPIM2EDDN

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:35 am

CUZ (Cuzco, Peru) is also a fun approach...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Miguel cano alva

Buyantukhaa

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 am

Pity Kai Tak is no longer around  Wink

Tere's a bunch of airports in mountainous valleys that can be challenging. Courchevel and Innsbruck were already mentioned, you can include Kathmandu in there and from what I have read here, Wellington (NZ) also has some "exciting" conditions now and then.

By the way, I think Portugal's scariest airport should not be Madeira (which is spectacular in its own right) but Corvo, with a 400m runway and ocean at both ends.

Regarding "ridiculous middle-of-town airports", we've lost Tempelhof recently...
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

REALDEAL

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 am

lax, lax, lax & lax

Photo, fingerprints !!

Bend over (RUBBER GLOVE)

Soeone should teach those immigration guys to smile. Send them to happy school. It looks like they have the rubber glove treatment done to them every morning before work !!!

Also whay aren't US immigration & customs open before 7am at LAX ? I mean they have all these so called security people doing very little, why, if aircraft lands early do I have to sit on aircraft until they open ?

(NOTE don't enter USA thru any other airport anymore. Used to fly thru SFO with UA, but they're hopeless now & probably going broke fast.)

wilkes

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 am

I am flying into ASE for the first time weekend after next. What sort of excitement do I have to look forward to?

flydreamliner

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 am

You know, SDA (Baghdad Saddam International  Wink ) has commercial flights in and out - I think it should be eligible for the list. While the better judgment of others has kept me from visiting, my understanding is that the aircraft have to fly in at higher altitude, more or less fly in a small, tight, circular pattern directly above the field down - to avoid the possibility of surface-to-air missile strikes. I think it should be considered for the list.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

alianza

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:40 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 10):
Tegucigalpa is WAY scarier than Washington National.

Tegucigalpa was quite a sight when I stopped there about 1989. Landing at the airport, our first sight was a shanty town of many connected wood shacks, parallel to the runway, where a woman was washing outside her house. While, at the other end of the runway was a brand new Dunkin Donuts store. Then, when the CO flight pulled up to the single terminal building, we could see old bullet holes in the outside wall !!....that was somewhat scary.

A scary airport is MRD and maybe STT which both have runways alongside, and ending at a mountain.

KingAir200

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:55 am

3. Reagan National Airport, Washington D.C.

In my opinion, DCA isn't scary at all. It is interesting, but hardly scary.

DashTrash

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:58 am

Quoting Wilkes (Reply 22):
I am flying into ASE for the first time weekend after next. What sort of excitement do I have to look forward to?

Depends on whether you're flying the airplane or riding in the back. If you're riding, expect to get bumped around when you get close to the airport. You'll get to look up at a lot of the terrain. I suggest sitting on the right side of the airplane since you go very close to a hill on SHORT! final. Neat stuff.

If you're flying the airplane, expect to stay slightly right of the extended centerline since departing traffic makes a right turn after takeoff. Expect the illusions that come with flying a steeper than normal glideslope to a narrow runway.

I've flown in there plenty of times. The only thing that gives me heartburn about the place is single engine operations. There just isn't a whole lot to do if you shit an engine while going missed. It's a typical mountain airport. Take flying into it seriously, do your research, and know what you're looking for / at.

Flown into SXM as well. The only bad part about that is you go over the beach so damn fast you can't see much of anything. You do get to watch people congregate on the centerline though from the time you turn final to when it goes under the nose. Good stuff!

AllegiantAir

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:09 am

No SBH on the list? I'm sure that be quite scary for a load of folks who weren't expecting an exhilirating final approach!
Live to Fly.

REALDEAL

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:01 am

saw a jet crash there about 12 years ago. Think it was a United Express BAe146.

Don't think anyone died tho.

incitatus

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 am

JFK scary but LGA not scary? The list is not so good.

A Sao Paulo Congonhas landing enables views into people's dining rooms inside their condos. A late touch down into Rio Santos Dumont is really scary.
Stop pop up ads

GentFromAlaska

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:05 am

They've obviously never flown out of Valdez, Alaska on a below minimum day.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

NorthstarBoy

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 am

JFK is not scary at all.

LGA can be a little intimidating to non-New Yorkers who rarely fly in there, as you come in on final straight over the bay, i can remember flying in there as a kid, looking out the window, seeing the plane get lower and lower, thinking we were going to land in the water, before we finally crossed the threshold and touched down.

I haven't been to DCA in a few years, but from what i recall, DCA is a fun approach because you're rolling straight up the middle of the potomac, you can see the river whizzing by, not to mention all those washington landmarks before you touch down. the cool thing about DCA was that there was a large park across from one end of the runway, people would come out on sundays with their families, have picnics and watch as planes thundered right over their heads. this was back in the heyday when everyone was operating 727s and DC-9s into DCA, so you pretty much had to cover your ears! as a little aerogeek, i loved it.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Anetter123

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:20 am

Has anyone flown into El Alto airport at La Paz, Bolivia? Isn't that quite a scary airport to fly into c'onsidering it sits 13K above sea level? Something about the landing speed is quite faster then the lower elevation airports because of the air density? I think it should be added to the list...lol.

DashTrash

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:42 am

Quoting REALDEAL (Reply 28):

Nope. Only thing remotely like that was one having an uncontained engine failure according to the NTSB site.

xjet

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:30 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 8):
"challenging" airports in Latin America such as Quito, La Paz, Cuzco, Santos Dumont, Congonhas and several others (TGU has been mentioned already)

What is so challenging about LAP? I have been in their numerous times and as I recall it is in the middle of a field. It isn't near as challenging as OAX, SLW, MEX, or PVR. LAP has a nice long runway with no terrain off either end of the runways for miles. Nice straight in approaches are possible from both directions. The others you mentioned I will definitely agree with.

This list is a bit of bunk. I mean DCA? The river visual isn't that big of a turn. The Freeway visual into LGA has a tighter turn that the visual to 19 at Reagan. The Canarsie approach to JFK must have put that on the list. It has a pretty severe 180 degre turn to final for the 13s, but I certainly think there are much much worse places to fly into.

KLASM83

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:58 am

Quoting REALDEAL (Reply 28):

'Twas a Gulfstream in 2003.

Wilkes, I say sit on the right side of the aircraft to get the best view of the mountain ridge that seems to come up and attempt to swat the aircraft out of the air. You'll get a nice steep approach, and if you're a thrust reverser fan (pun intended), ASE def. delivers, due to its relatively short (7006 IIRC) runway. That's why ASE take offs are the best too.  cloudnine 
Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

fraspotter

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 am

Courchevelle in France

You read my mind... I'm surprised that this one didn't make the list, with the runway being at such an angle on the mountain side, it takes one hell of a pilot to land on it (and one hell of a passenger to avoid freaking out).

Also, I know it's closed now, but Kai Tak probably would have made that list had it still been open today...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

Alessandro

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:51 am

Väröy, Norway, closed to regular traffic due to downdraft
Goma, DRC, next to a very active vulcano.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

SurfandSnow

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:57 am

How about BUR? Nearby mountains, a crowded terminal that is EXTREMELY close to the runways, and runways themselves so short that they leave absolutely no room for error...Just look up Southwest Airlines 1455 as proof of how scary this airport can be.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

studedave

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:00 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 3):
For the first time traveller, San Diego should be included in that list, especially if approaching from the north, and doubly so if arriving in an EM2...

I'm still trying to figure this one out-- our runway runs more East/West then North/South. Maybe you're talking about those now-and-then flights that (especially late at night) "buzz" my North Park apartment when coming in from points North, in a 'short final' sort of way...
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

ambanmba

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 am

Don't forget WLG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LaAkAyoz0

Always great for a roller-coaster landing.
Concorde 300/10/19/20/21/30/40/80 707/17/27/37/47/57/67/77 AT7 146 CRJ DC3/9/10 DHC8 F100 L1011 MD11/80 S340 T154M Y7C

AeroHero128

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 20):
Pity Kai Tak is no longer around  Wink

- KT already has a posthumous nod on my list. But who asked me?
- DCA? As long as the pilot is keen and the pax love the view, no prob on the RivVis19. Rwy01 T/O is, indeed, a mirrored scenario, no scarier.
- JFK? The homeward AA/DL/B6 traffic and the TrATL's are a hassle, sure, but scary??? Even if you compound ZNY's total traffic, you *might* manage some adrenaline. Not fear.
- SXM? People definitely throng that tiny island JUST for that airport, its jet blast on the beach, and the inches-off-the-fence encounters. Everyone afraid of Juliana is stuck at home writing articles about her.  Wink
- Massive props to the scary indoor terminal arguments, as well as the other fields that made a mention here. Who want's to start the official Anet list???  idea 

BOTTOM LINE: This definitely sounds like some poor paranoid sap outside the fences of these ten airports.

...Next?  bigthumbsup 
Proceed on course...

Max777geek

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:52 am

Im pretty sure everyone knows nearby home or frequently visited airport which are scary for different reason. From Italy, the most significant I can name are Genoa, which have different mountains height on both sides of the rwy, (it coasts the sea) making it having often 2 different wind readings at each side, and another one that scary me a lot is Olbia, in which departing at night you can see from one rwy side, the light of the ending side. Makes you think you're not going to make it. Being used to Rome Fiumicino, where rwys are longer, that's pretty scary. In Palermo you have a sea approach, apart a couple of water crashes, that's not that bad. Also another southern airport I can't remember the location now, just visited it once in the simulator, have a light pattern to track a turn on the ground, to use at night. Just like a segment of white lights before a rwy, only turning left.

kappel

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 13):
At least now it is no longer the tiny airstrip it was before.

Indeed, FNC still gives me sweaty palms, especially that last turn above the ocean if you land from the south, but it's not as bad as it was before the runway extension.
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

ThirtyEcho

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 am

Travel & Leisure magazine, noted aviation authority?

"Scary," to whom? Does scary equate to dangerous?

The scariest airport will always be the deck of an aircraft carrier at night in IMC and high seas. Anything else is a piece of cake, as our RAF friends would say.

jpyvr

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Quoting XJET (Reply 34):
What is so challenging about LAP? I have been in their numerous times and as I recall it is in the middle of a field. It isn't near as challenging as OAX, SLW, MEX, or PVR. LAP has a nice long runway with no terrain off either end of the runways for miles. Nice straight in approaches are possible from both directions. The others you mentioned I will definitely agree with.

I think the La Paz that the original poster was referring to was not LAP in Baja California, Mexico, but instead LPB, which is El Alto Airport in La Paz, Bolivia. It might be considered scary because of it's extreme altitude, which is 4019 metres, or 13,185 ft.

alasdair1982

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 3):
For the first time traveller, San Diego should be included in that list

SFO as well for sure. Final approach for the 28's too close to the water for their comfort Big grin

BMI727

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:27 pm

This list is kind of wrong. JFK and DCA aren't scary, the pilots just need to be on top of their game. I dont really see how SXM is scary either. Saba is scary, but Twin Otters can land just about anywhere so it's not a huge deal. Barra's airport is basically on the beach as I understand it, so it isn't that scary. I would add SAN and Florence, Italy to the list
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

jm017

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:37 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 47):
I would add SAN and Florence, Italy to the list

SAN? Really? Not scary to me at all. Nor is JFK. DCA is fun to fly into. From videos i have seen, I would give my votes to TGU and the old Kai Tak.

As for SFO, I fly into there for the first time ever on Sunday. I am looking forward to it. I guess the final approach is over water....I love those approaches.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

LipeGIG

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 am

I would put SDU on the list ! What helps is the beutiful view of Rio de Janeiro, otherwise...
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !