ohthedrama747

VS Or BA To LA?

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm

I'll be going to LA this summer hopefully and I was just looking for advice on which airline to go for. I've flew with BA to Orlando and I enjoyed it but never been on Virgin before.

The example dates I looked at were 8 June from Edinburgh, connecting in Heathrow. BA was a 744 and VS is a 346.

Who would you choose for entertainment and things? I'll be in economy. Any opinions would be fab.

G

B747forever

RE: VS Or BA To LA?

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 pm

I have flown BA several times between LAX and ARN. I have always had good experience with BA on my many flights from/to LAX. BA has a good entertainment system and their crew is usually friendly (had a bad experience with the crew on my last LHR-LAX flight in January, but on my all other flights they have always been nice)

I would go with BA without any doubt.

BTW, when is your return flight?
Work Hard, Fly Right

jetterrosie

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 pm

My advice is always the same! If you are flying economy then go BA. If any class higher than economy then go Virgin.

LAXintl

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:43 am

How about Air NZ and their daily LHR-LAX?

If not also have AA and UA in the market.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

B747forever

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:12 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 3):
If not also have AA and UA in the market.

Why fly on an American carrier if you can choose between BA, VS and NZ?
Work Hard, Fly Right

rjpieces

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:04 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
Why fly on an American carrier if you can choose between BA, VS and NZ?

Is there really that much of a difference in service? I've flown several airlines transatlantic, and frankly, the service on US airlines was fine if not on par with the European ones. i.e. JFK-FRA on LH vs JFK-ZRH on AA, not much of a difference at all. JFK-LHR on AA vs JFK-LHR on VS, perhaps VS has a better seatback entertainment program but that's about it right? Btw, all this was referring to economy, not the premium cabins.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

starguy

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 am

Quoting Rjpieces (Reply 5):
Is there really that much of a difference in service? I've flown several airlines transatlantic, and frankly, the service on US airlines was fine if not on par with the European ones. i.e. JFK-FRA on LH vs JFK-ZRH on AA, not much of a difference at all. JFK-LHR on AA vs JFK-LHR on VS, perhaps VS has a better seatback entertainment program but that's about it right? Btw, all this was referring to economy, not the premium cabins.

It's just my opinion and I am going to be totally biased here, but I do not think that American carriers are anywhere near being on par with European ones. I have flown United many times and have to say that there is not one instant where I think they stood out compared to VS and BA. The service, crew friendliness, food, inflight amenities and entertainment are far better on BA and VS.

In terms of which UK carrier is better for a flight to LA, there really isn't much in it, it's all down to the individual, some prefer BA and some prefer VS. Whats the price difference?
The seating in economy is never going to be luxurious with lashings of space but it is comfortable on both and the two airlines have the same seat width and pitch in Y. The entertainment on the VS346 is better. The food and free drinks offering on both airlines is good, not gourmet, but good. For me it would be Virgin as the final choice, not just because I work there ;o) but because I love flying on the super quiet A346

SpeedBirdA380

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:45 pm

I would probably go BA as you will get to connect through the brand new T5.

If one is cheaper than the other I would choose the cheaper one though as like some have already said,their Y class products are "pretty much the same".

ohthedrama747

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I probably will end up going with BA in order to connect with ease. Both my domestic flight and international flight would leave from T5 which would be less of a hassle ultimately.

Will try Virgin another day then!

Cheers again all,

G

laca773

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:10 pm

I'd take BA over VS as the food will most likely be better on BA.

Though if I had a choice, I'd like to try to NZ's service as I hear they outshine both BA & VS in terms of cabin crews and catering.

vhtje

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 pm

All other things BA vs VS in economy being equal, here's something to consider... the layout on an A346 is 2-4-2 vs 3-4-3 on a 744.

If you like window seats (as I do) climbing over 1 person is better than 2.

Enjoy your trip!