LDIkaros
Topic Author

One-way Flights In Asia - Any Immigration Trouble?

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:26 am

Hi everybody,

I will be leaving for SE Asia in about 2 weeks, for a total of almost 2 months. I booked a CX flight SFO-HKG-TPE-HKG-SFO, with a really long stopover in HKG before heading to TPE.

Of course, I won't stay that long in HKG. From HKG I have a one-way booking on UL to BKK, arriving in BKK in the evening of March 16. A month later, April 15, I will then head down to KUL on a one-way flight on MH. From there I booked a r/t KUL-SUB (10 days) and then a one-way on JQ SIN-HKG before continuing on to TPE.

All these flights are booked and confirmed. I anticipate that I will have to show printouts of my ongoing flights when, for example, checking in at HKG for my UL flight to BKK. I don't have any visas in my passport for any countries I will visit as I can get them on arrival (I have a German passport).

Still, I wonder if I will run into any trouble with these arrangements. Does anybody have any experience in these matters?

Also, with my current itinerary I will be staying in Thailand for 31 days. I can get a visa on arrival for 30 days and so far have not had any major problem overstaying for one day. Still, could they deny me entry for having a flight out of Thailand after 31 rather than 30 days?

Of course, I could always book a quickie flight out of BKK to, say, SIN for a few days. Still, I'd rather not unless I have to.

Thanks for your input.

LDIkaros

deltairlines

RE: One-way Flights In Asia - Any Immigration Trou

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 am

As long as you can show proof of onward travel and sufficient funds, you should be good to go.

Can't answer the Thailand visa question though...

HOOB747

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:36 am

Wow, that is quite an itinerary. I wonder if you have to pay a departure tax when you fly out of those countries. I know Singapore has a departure tax, but United can't tell me if it is included in my ticket price or not. Have a great trip (s)!
I love dem planes....

Leskova

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:52 am

Quoting LDIkaros (Thread starter):
Still, could they deny me entry for having a flight out of Thailand after 31 rather than 30 days?

Yes, they could - as you're not fulfilling all requirements to be issued a 30-day visa. I'd certainly check with your nearest Thai embassy on that one, you don't want to get stuck on an itinerary such as yours!
Smile - it confuses people!

levent

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Thai Immigration tends to change the visa rules frequently so you should keep an eye on this. I have travelled in and out of Thailand many, many times, often with a stamp on arrival and also with tourist visas.

I have never been asked to show proof of my onward journey at the immigration desks in Bangkok, but once I was travelling from Penang to Bangkok without a visa and I was asked to show proof of the onward journey at the check-in (this was with AirAsia).

But if you have a ticket booked where you would be overstaying one day, I don't expect this to cause any problems.

A good source for current info on Thai Immigration issues is the Thaivisa.com website.