manfredj

Top Ten: Things To Appreciate Before They're Gone

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:29 pm

It's all too often we take things for granted in our industry. I've compiled a top ten list of things we should savor about the airline industry before one day they cease to exist. Please feel free to add your favorites.

Top Ten:

10) Paper Tickets: It's not too long before we download our boarding tickets into our cell phones, making paper tickets a thing of the past.

9) Flight Engineers: Just a few cockpits you can visit that still have an engineer station. Take a trip to the flight deck of a classic 747 and stare at the sheer size of the flight deck.

8) The Approach To DCA: Observation areas are getting rare. With increased security at our airports, the Feds have closed down many of them. Visit the park adjacent to Ronald Reagan Airport and watch the most amazing approaches of your life.

7) The Sound Of A JT8D: Savor a sound of the past. Go to Miami International and listen as a DC-9 or 727 takes to the sky.

6) Free Food: It may not taste great but eat it while it's free. It's the norm not the exception to pay for food these days.

5) Three Holers: The DC-10/Md-11/L10-11 are a dying breed. With no new three holers on the books from Boeing or Airbus, fly them while you can.

4) The Smell Of Kerosene: You know your at an airport when the pungent smell of Jet A graces your nostrils. They really should bottle the stuff and make it into a perfume. Continental and Virgin are already experimenting with alternative fuels making the smell of Jet A a thing of the past.

3) Air Shows: They are an expensive show to put on. With the current economy, our government will be spending less on air shows. Get online and find one near you this summer.

2) The Beach at St. Maarten: We took Kai Tek for granted all those years. Did you really appreciate it before it went away? Would you give anything to see one more landing? Visit the beach at St. Maarten and get some sand in your face. Who knows how long it will last.

1) The Spectacle: Flying used to be a glamorous and romantic way to travel, only reserved for the wealthy. Good service, fine food and glamorous crew were waiting for you when you boarded the airplane. All is not lost, however. Spend the extra money to fly first class on a premium airline. Experience what it's like to be treated like a king at 35,000 ft.
757: The last of the best

TK787

RE: Top Ten: Things To Appreciate Before They're G

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:41 pm

It is hard to believe that it is too late for the Concorde to make this list.

max550

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Quoting Manfredj (Thread starter):
8) The Approach To DCA: Observation areas are getting rare. With increased security at our airports, the Feds have closed down many of them. Visit the park adjacent to Ronald Reagan Airport and watch the most amazing approaches of your life.

One of my personal favorite places to go. Anyone who spends anytime in the DC area has to make the stop there.

BMI727

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:45 pm

They really should bottle the stuff and make it into a perfume.

Agreed. The best smell in the world is that combination of cleaners, Jet A, and coffee.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ckfred

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm

7) The Sound Of A JT8D: Savor a sound of the past. Go to Miami International and listen as a DC-9 or 727 takes to the sky.

Book a ticket on an AA mainline flight, other than one into or out of MIA. There is a fairly good chance of being on an MD-80 with an updated JT8D. A bit quieter than the older models, but it still sounds good. Or you can go to MSP or DTW and listen to former NW DC-9s.

max550

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 4):
former NW DC-9s

Another thing to appreciate before they're gone  Smile

trystero

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:49 pm

6) Free Food: It may not taste great but eat it while it's free. It's the norm not the exception to pay for food these days.

Yes, and if you travel in low-cost, pay a very high price for very low quality. Also, beat the other hunters to the prey, if you're in the middle of the plane and no food gets there, you're stuck with two hours of complaining from your eight years old kids...
Of course I love you. Now get me a beer.

Viscount724

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:59 pm

That's generally true only in North America. It's the exception in most of the rest of the world. In Europe, with a few exceptions like SK/IB/EI which have been buy-on-board for some time, you only pay for food/drink on low-cost carriers. It's still free on LH/LX/BA/KL/AF/OS and others. It may not be much in Y class (e.g. a sandwich on flights during meal hours) but at least it's free, as is bar and beverage service.

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I'll be in Washington D.C. next week. I'll be arriving and departing from DCA, but I won't have enough time to visit this place.

Of course, it's not free but rather included within the price of your ticket.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

isitsafenow

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:02 pm

For me, most are already gone.....
Four engine props and turboprops, first generation jets with their noise and REAL kero smell. Todays turbine fuel is a different blend than the 60's.

Old aiprort terminals where anyone could go down the concourse and watch planes.....anyone could go down the jetway
or up the stairs and see the planes insides(this is a story itself).

Visits to the control tower.

Real meals on the plane in COACH...

Something that I will miss............
Northwest .......I already miss Braniff International and Trans World....
the multi colored fleet and the twin globes on the vertical stab.....
and this time next year.........red tails

sad sad sad.
safe.
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

skygirl

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Ronald Reagan Washington Airport. They never dropped the Washington from the airport name, but everyone else does. A lot of people in the area refuse to even acknowledge the name change. I've actually had pax deplane telling me not to welcome them to Reagan National.

That said, I spent many a day at DCA. Pack a picnic lunch, a camera, and a comfy lounge chair, and watch airplanes take off and fly. I can't wait til I move back to the area cause that is one of the first things I am going to go out and do.

4) The Smell Of Kerosene: You know your at an airport when the pungent smell of Jet A graces your nostrils. They really should bottle the stuff and make it into a perfume.

I actually have a bumper sticker that says Jet-A is my perfume. I love it when I come home from a trip smelling like galley - a strange combination of coffee and jet fuel.
...Now they face an even greater danger...Tyrannousaurs in F-14's!!

MadameConcorde

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 1):
It is hard to believe that it is too late for the Concorde to make this list.

I was thinking the exact same thing while reading the first post. Talk about luxury in the sky and being given a royal treatment!

Just like the QE2 (Concorde of the Seas) the Pointy Ladies were taken out of service way too soon. They could have done several more years of service...  Sad

Happy 40th Anniversary Concorde! You will live fforever in our memories...  Sad
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

adam42185

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 9):
Old aiprort terminals where anyone could go down the concourse and watch planes.....anyone could go down the jetway

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark  I miss these days as well. These were still around when I was very young and I miss them so much! I wish i could go see people off at the jetway, or meet them coming off -- I used to spend hours at the observation deck at Logan which has been no more for a loooooong time now. If I remember correctly there was even a bar up there. What a shame it isnt there any more. And I remember getting served food such as sandwiches on flights as short as an hour and a half.

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:39 pm

10) Paper Tickets: It's not too long before we download our boarding tickets into our cell phones, making paper tickets a thing of the past.

I haven't gotten a paper ticket in god-knows-how-long. And maybe I'm the only one, but I like it that way!  Smile

1) The Spectacle: Flying used to be a glamorous and romantic way to travel, only reserved for the wealthy. Good service, fine food and glamorous crew were waiting for you when you boarded the airplane. All is not lost, however. Spend the extra money to fly first class on a premium airline. Experience what it's like to be treated like a king at 35,000 ft.

To me, the fact that flying isn't restricted to the wealthy anymore is actually the real miracle of it. Hell, I'm not wealthy - I wouldn't have been able to fly 50 years ago!

Old aiprort terminals where anyone could go down the concourse and watch planes....

THAT is one that I miss very much.

Not to mention, it makes it quite difficult when you're dropping your 85-year-old grandmother off at the airport, and you can't help her carry her carry-on to the gate, or make sure she knows where she's going, etc....

Quoting Skygirl (Reply 10):
Ronald Reagan Washington Airport. They never dropped the Washington from the airport name, but everyone else does. A lot of people in the area refuse to even acknowledge the name change. I've actually had pax deplane telling me not to welcome them to Reagan National.

I still call it Washington National. Just habit.

BOS used to have an observation deck in the control tower when I was younger. I keep hoping that maybe they'll reopen it....but I truly doubt it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

skymiler

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Can we still get the crackle and roar from a pair (or 3!!) of RR Speys? I know that the BA Trident 3B's are gone (best of the bunch!!), but are there any non hush-kitted BAC 1-11's still airworthy?
I love to fly, and it shows!

delta2ual

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Something that I will miss............
Northwest .......I already miss Braniff International and Trans World....
the multi colored fleet and the twin globes on the vertical stab.....
and this time next year.........red tails

I miss the OLD Delta. The one that was charming to passengers, strict with employees (anyone remember the supervisors using quarters to make sure the female flight attendants earrings were regulation?), slow to change, and old-fashioned. The "new" Delta is a little too "hip" for me!
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

PanAm747

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm

1) Customer Service Agents. Talking to real people and not the computer will slowly and surely disappear.

2) Free use of the lavatory onboard. Keep an eye on Ryanair - if this dumb idea of on-board pay toilets is successful, it won't be long before it's instituted around the globe.

3) Inclusive tickets. A la carte pricing, the "wave of the future", will soon include nothing.

4) The occasional empty seat. Good luck in ever seeing one of those again!!

Everything else on my list is either almost, completely gone, or never was.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

fanofjets

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 pm

I would add to that the sound of the even more rare JT-3D. At least I can still savor that melody on a few YouTube videos.

Even more magical is the sound of a good old-fashioned radial engine. The number of DC-4s, -6s, Connies, and C-46s is fast disappearing. With new safety regulations, the chance to fly aboard a DC-3 may even become a thing of the past.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

KELPkid

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
Agreed. The best smell in the world is that combination of cleaners, Jet A, and coffee.

Eau d' blue lav juice and stale cigarrette smoke from the last flight, anyone  crazy  Don't miss that part  Wink I'm glad that modern airlines seem to contain toilet odor much better, and that smoking has been banned (for the most part)  yes 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

seabosdca

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 8):
I'll be in Washington D.C. next week. I'll be arriving and departing from DCA, but I won't have enough time to visit this place.

Make sure to book a seat on the left side of the plane on your way in, and on the right side on your way out.

You never know which direction the flow will be going, but booking those seats will maximize your chance of getting a close-up view of the Monument, the Mall, and downtown.

BMI727

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 4):
There is a fairly good chance of being on an MD-80 with an updated JT8D. A bit quieter than the older models

I was at the In'N'Out Burger at LAX and numerous 747s and other heavies took off while I was there. But the only plane that set off car alarms at about a quarter mile was a YX MD-80.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

RIX

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 1):
it is too late for the Concorde to make this list

Four engine props and turboprops

- both would make my list of "gone, missed badly", along with variety of manufacturers/configurations we saw in 50-s/60-s and still (which I'm old enough to remember) in 70-s.

manfredj

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
That's generally true only in North America

Yes, I had the most wonderful sandwich on a short 45 minute flight from Israel to Jordon a few years back. No such thing in the states.

Please! Make the time. You won't forget it. I have spent many a days there...truly a life changing experience.

My stepmother used to work as a F/A for Braniff. Real china in coach and enough caviar to take home to her cats (at 30 dollars a jar!)
757: The last of the best

hatbutton

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Quoting RIX (Reply 21):
- both would make my list of "gone, missed badly", along with variety of manufacturers/configurations we saw in 50-s/60-s and still (which I'm old enough to remember) in 70-s.

Four engine props and turboprops, first generation jets with their noise and REAL kero smell. Todays turbine fuel is a different blend than the 60's.

Everts Air in ANC still has a few DC-6s! (And some C-46s) Get up there while you can. NAC recently got rid of theirs.

I think the L-188 is still one of my favorite planes. Wish I had a chance to fly on one when Reeve was still around. I love that rounded nose.

Viscount724

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Quoting Hatbutton (Reply 23):
Everts Air in ANC still has a few DC-6s! (And some C-46s) Get up there while you can. NAC recently got rid of theirs.

I think the L-188 is still one of my favorite planes. Wish I had a chance to fly on one when Reeve was still around. I love that rounded nose.

Buffalo Airways in Yellowknife (YZF) in Canada's Northwest Territories still has a few DC-3s, DC-4s, C-46s and an L-188 hauling freight, and what must be one of the only DC-3s still operating a scheduled passenger service anywhere in the world, between YZF and YHY (Hay River).

http://www.buffaloairways.com/images/group.jpg

BlueElephant

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Definately think you should take the time to go there...It's called Gravelly Point Park. If you're at the Airport its literally a 10 minute walk / 3 minute taxi ride. Sit there for 20-30 minutes...and you'll understand what all the fuss is about.

While you're there you can yell at all the 5 year olds trying to fly kites  Wink

LUFTI5525

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:02 pm

KAI TEK What memories.... Where all the true airline believers go
after death....

RIX

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Everts Air in ANC still has a few DC-6s!

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 24):
Buffalo Airways... still has... what must be one of the only DC-3s still operating a scheduled passenger service

Thanks, guys - who knows, may be I'll try one (or both) before it's too late...

DocLightning

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:10 pm

I guarantee you that DTW and MSP have a lot more DC-9's than MIA.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

tommy767

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:10 pm

TICKET JACKETS! I flew UA in november and I got one on the outbound from LAX but they didn't carry them anymore at EWR (how dare they.)
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

VH320

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Take a flight to Quito, Ecuador in South America and book a short trip UIO-GYE-UIO in a 727 and enjoy an amazing takeoff and approach to Mariscal Sucre airport before it is closed for good Two airlines from there (Aerogal, Tame) fly the three holer . It won't last long though, this whole experience will be just history pretty soon!!

hatbutton

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Quoting RIX (Reply 27):
Thanks, guys - who knows, may be I'll try one (or both) before it's too late...

Unfortunately Everts is cargo. But ANC is an amazing place to spot. You can get really close to the ends of all the runways. So seeing a DC-6 come in for landing is quite a sight and still worth the trip. I love watching it take off as well because I feel like it climbs at 200 feet per minute.

txjim

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:37 pm

or up the stairs and see the planes insides(this is a story itself).

I will never forget when AA brought a 747 to DAL for some event in the very early 70s. My parents took me down to see the thing and we were able to walk down the Jetway and wander around the cabin. I never made it to the upper deck but did see the piano bar and manage to find a commemorative AA 747 jigsaw puzzle in a seat back pocket. Wish I held onto that!

I could not imagine at that time that I would spend much of the 80s and 90s flying in the things, including the AA reintroduction of 747s DFW/NRT shortly after it's inauguration.

txjim

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Quoting Hatbutton (Reply 31):
But ANC is an amazing place to spot

I suppose we can add the ANC stopover as one of the departed air transport events. I was a very regular traveler on KE LAX/SEL flights and would occasionally find myself on a flight that made the ANC tech stop. Most of the time this was a nighttime event but once made the stop westbound in the daytime.

The view from the terminal's top-floor bar was astonishing and it was fun to interact with the passengers off of the Europe-Far East flights. I do remember that the person removing the coins from the jukebox told me that fully half were foreign.

FAT5DEP

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Add one more and that is the air stairs. Probably wont completely go away but I miss boarding the 727's that way at FAT. We had to be like everybody else and get jetways! Nothing like seeing the action up close while walking up the stairs. I never minded that there was a line!
Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.

UltimateDelta

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 pm

1. YX 717s!

Pretty soon it's gonna be all Embraers...  Sad
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ThirtyEcho

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:34 am

On dateless Friday nights, a gaggle of us teenage boys would go hang out in the control tower cab late at night. I remember the cautious buzzing of the ground floor door and the "yes!" feeling when we heard the remote lock open.

The sole controller was glad for the company and we hung around, sometimes, until the tower closed at midnight. We treated the call-in of every DC-3 or Convair like it was the Concorde calling in from over the Atlantic and stared out into the night to be the first to spot landing lights shimmering in the distance.

Sometimes, we had the controller radio questions to the Captain while the flight was at the gate and learned, among other things, that the Convair had huge 2800 hp engines.

Sadly, any bunch of kids who buzzed a control tower door today would have guns stuck in their faces in five seconds flat.

flyguy89

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:46 pm

1) Domestic complimentary in-flight meals. Continental could pull the plug at any time, but i'm hoping they'll be around to stay.

2) Not having a ticket and being able to go past security to the gate area and watch the planes.

3) Waiting in the gate area for a relative to come off a plane.

4) The excitement of meeting the person waiting for you at the gate.

5) A proper, standard boarding pass, no flimsy receipt paper.

6) Checking in for a flight with a real person.

7) The 747

8) The spectacular observation area at CVG, who knows how much longer that will last until the government comes up with a reason to close it.

9) Being able to fly non-stop to 4 points in Europe from CVG.

10) Ticket jackets. I know a lot of people could care less about them disappearing but i've collected them since I was little, and whenever my family and I would fly, I always had to carry my own ticket with my own ticket jacket. Anyone know which airlines still give out ticket jackets?

readytotaxi

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:53 pm

How about as a 9 year old going to the cockpit before takeoff.
Peter Pan time.  bigthumbsup 
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

flymia

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:47 pm

7) The Sound Of A JT8D: Savor a sound of the past. Go to Miami International and listen as a DC-9 or 727 takes to the sky

So true, it is great hearing a 727 or DC-9 fly over my house. I remember watching AA last 727 flight leave to RDU over my house.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

baguy

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Reply 38):
How about as a 9 year old going to the cockpit before takeoff.
Peter Pan time.  

Sadly I have only been in a cockpit twice. A BA ERJ145 5 years ago (to get my BA logbook signed) but the best was a VS 74(2 I think) in mid flight over the atlantic in April 2001 (just a few months later I probably wouldnt have been able to!)

BAguy

deltairlines

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:37 am

This is already here - I've used it a couple of times at MSP. Check-in on my Blackberry and off I go - No Paper, No Problem!

WESTERN737800

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:23 pm

The coach meal was a great thing. In 1989 I was about 12 on a DL732 Rapid City (RAP)- SLC, we got a good sandwich, chips, a cookie, and a coke. It was a good meal for an aviation-crazy 5th grader. Also the Fedex 727, the 727s were my favorite airplane to watch takeoff.
Bring back Western Airlines!

HorizonGirl

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):

That really is the best scent on this whole entire world.

Quoting RIX (Reply 21):
Four engine props and turboprops

What I would give to see a Dash 7 again, not to mention get on one..  Sad

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Tango-Bravo

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 am

Quoting Delta2ual (Reply 16):
I miss the OLD Delta. The one that was charming to passengers, strict with employees

Indeed. The "old" Delta was the best airline in the world, bar none -- both to fly with and to work for. Can also say that three of my co-workers of nearly 10 years who were ex-"old school" Delta stood out as being among the very best at customer service -- they knew how to to be helpful and accomodating yet positively assertive and, above all, came across as highly professional and appropriately friendly.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 39):
So true, it is great hearing a 727 or DC-9 fly over my house.

And believe it or not, there was a time when the title "Whisperjet" (as Eastern referred to theirs) was fitting for these types... at least when the contemporaries to which they were being compared were B707/720, CV880 and DC-8 types.

StarAC17

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
That's generally true only in North America. It's the exception in most of the rest of the world. In Europe, with a few exceptions like SK/IB/EI which have been buy-on-board for some time, you only pay for food/drink on low-cost carriers. It's still free on LH/LX/BA/KL/AF/OS and others. It may not be much in Y class (e.g. a sandwich on flights during meal hours) but at least it's free, as is bar and beverage service.

True I was happy when I got breakfast on a 2 hour flight on QF from CNS-BNE.

However on a 4.5 hr LAX-YYZ flight on AA I had to buy on board, although I didn't care because I slept through the entire flight. AC is the same for a similar flight length but at least they have PTVs. I really don't mind it because usually there is more of a choice available.

Quoting Flyguy89 (Reply 37):
7) The 747

My Dad misses them as they are really rare at YYZ now (maybe you see the occasional one in the summer from KE, LH, KL, or BA but that's it). However I got to fly them with QF recently and they were really nice.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

BNE

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 am

5) A proper, standard boarding pass, no flimsy receipt paper.

I don't miss the paper ticket but I am going to miss the old boarding passes.

Qantas still serve a meal on morning; lunch and dinner flights, you just need to plan the trip to get the right flight.

My most recent dinner flight on Qantas I they served this meal.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Visits to the cockpit.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

jeffry747

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am

7) The 747

I already miss the sound of the mighty JT9-D at SDF. UPS retired its last 747 "Classic" in December. Gone are the thunderous, whining, LOUD takeoffs that would set off every car alarm in the lot at the departure end of 17L. The new -400s pack the same CF6 engines as the MD-11s, which themselves don't sound as powerful or spectacular as the JT-9s. They're just too quiet.

Unfortunately the 747 itself is a slowly dying breed.
C'mon Big B, FLY!