cal764

Inter-City Airline Advertisments

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum for such a discussion, but I'll bring it up.

I can recall in the recent past, and probably currently, CO and DL jousting one another in the NYC area in their advertisements and billboards in terms of one another's trans-Atlantic dominance. My question is whether this habit occurs in other cities; I.e. AA and UA in the Chicago area. If anyone can provide some more insight on the subject, please enlighten me. Also, if anyone can provide some tag lines used to indirectly suggest an airlines upper-hand, that would be great; I.E. Southwest using their "No Baggage Fee's" to their benefit; CO "Change is: What you get back from a twenty when you buy a meal on those OTHER airlines," to indicate their meal service on flights >2 hours, ect.

Thanks

[Edited 2009-03-04 10:52:54]
1. Fly to Win 2. Fund Future 3. Reliability 4. Work Together CO: Work Hard, Fly Right...

FlyingSicilian

RE: Inter-City Airline Advertisments

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:15 pm

While not exactly aimed at each other, CO and WN have had several billboards in the vicinity of each other around the Houston area noting highlights of each others service/routes.
Most are quite humourous!

[Edited 2009-03-04 11:16:07]
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

srbmod

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 pm

In Atlanta, it's definitely a battle of billboards between Delta and AirTran. In several areas intown, they had billboards side by side or within sight of each other. AirTran put up an LCD billboard next to a Delta billboard on I-75/85NB, Delta replaced that billboard with a slightly larger LCD billboard. Delta is a sponsor of the Atlanta Braves and AirTran has a billboard that can be seen from one of the Turner Field parking lots. Delta is the official airline of the Atlanta Falcons and of the Atlanta Thrashers (as well as the Atlanta Hawks); AirTran have endorsement deals with players on both teams (They appear on billboards and in ads in uniforms whose colors have been modified into FL colors.).

elbandgeek

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 am

WN has TONS of ads in Chicago, espcially near MDW. I always see them up and down Cicero and along I-55 and 294. There's usually a few FL billboards around as well. Up by ORD I generally see more AA than UA, but there's one big one for UA by the rosemont convention center that I swear has been there for years.