bps3458

HOW Is VN And HOW To Book

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi everyone,

looking for reasonable business class ticket for a short trip to Frankfurt in September. Home airport is BNE but would consider flying out of/in to SYD or MEL if the offer is right. Travel dates are 09.09.09 from Australia and returning from Frankurt 14.09.09 (or 09.14. for our American friends). So far best offer is on OZ and KE via ICN for approx. A$ 5900.00. Have done KE, CI, QF and CX many times and would like to try something else.

Just when I thought I had checked with all airlines I remembered Vietnam Airlines. Trying to get a price on their website is useless as it only let me enter Vietnamese depature and destination airports so here are my questions:

1) Best site to check Vietnam Airlines business class fare or do I have to contact their office in Sydney ?
2) How is their business class product on their 777 air craft. Hopefully better than their website  Wink I am not very demanding and do not care about the champagne they serve. Just need good seat pitch (201 cms tall) and friendly service. Do not use IFE as my IFE is the window and a good book.
3) Is transfer via Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi and is a one night stopover necessary going to Europe and/or Australia (like KE an OZ in ICN going to Europe).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

ERJ135

RE: HOW Is VN And HOW To Book

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:56 am

Although I have never flown business on Vietnam Airlines I had flown several times since they started services to Sydney. Their Product was acceptable on the 767 flights but since the introduction of the 777 they are on par with the best Asia has to offer. Although I have only passed the businees class on my way back to cattle the seats and pitch look perfectly good and while PTV's are available like you I prefer a window and book and a puzzle book. Service is excellent and food is very good especially out of Sydney and out of Vietnam, was not so thrilled with food out of Europe. In my case the connection to a European destination required a 4 hour stop in Ho Chi Min but I understand this is not the case for every destination, probably best to check first.
My first trip I booked through Flight Centre but I prefer Zuji for most of my Travel planning, like you I found the Vietnam booking facility rather difficult at best.
Another thing you may need to remember is that in some cases I was required to buy a transit Visa in Vietnam and while I don't believe I paid this every time it is worth remembering that you may need to carry some US dollars for the privelage of passing through Vietnam.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

bps3458

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:05 am

Hi Ron,

thanks for the excllent advise. Have found business class fare on Zuji for just a little over A$ 5000.00 which is in my budget. Really looking forward to my trip.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

VN777

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am

Peter,

Below a link to the German website of VN airlines where you can find some details about their business class.
http://www.vietnam-air.de/an_bord/business_class.htm

For the visa information i advise you to check this with the VN boking office. Be aware that the flights to Australia/Europe sometimes contain a domestic segment with the same airplane and flightnumber like HAN-SGN-SYD. of SGH-HAN-FRA. This could change the visa requirements.

Food on VN is average. Service depends on the crew, had good and bad experiences on my HAN-FRA flights in Y and Y+.

VN777

bps3458

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi Ron & VN777,

luck is with me once again. Turns out I need to attend a meeting in Germany the day before my 20 year class reunion so this short trip is suddenly turning in to a business trip and I do not have to pay my own air fare any more.

Wasted no time and found excellent first class fare on Etihad from Sydney via Abu Dhabi in to Frankfurt. Booked immediately and now can't wait to fly first class on EY in September.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter