alaska737

Day Trip To LAX, What To Do

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:01 pm

On Sunday April 14th I'll be taking a day trip to LAX, I'll be there for about 12 hours, and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on what to do, I'm not very familiar with the LA area so I dont know whats close by, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

I'd like to go to the beach, and I'm assuming thats a cab ride(?) If theres an air museum or anything like that close by that would be nice as well.

Thanks,
Alaska737

deltairlines

RE: Day Trip To LAX, What To Do

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 pm

1.) In-N-Out Burger on Sepulveda is a must if you post on this site.

2.) If you want a beach, Venice Beach is about 10-15 minutes north of the airport right up Lincoln Blvd - probably about a $20 cab ride.

aace24

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Unfortunately, public transportation in the LA area leaves much to be desired.

So a taxi is pretty much the only convenient way to get around. Like Delta said, Venice beach is a good spot for some nice sunset views.

Also try to visit the Getty Center as well.

HT

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:53 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Thread starter):
If theres an air museum or anything like that close by that would be nice as well.

Not exactly *close*´by*, but there are two in the eastern part of the Greater L.A. area. A rental car is essential:

Planes of Fame at Chino Airport
March Field at March ARB, Riverside

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

flybaurlax

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 am

You can always go to the Flight Path Learning Center by Imperial Hill, too. That's a pretty neat place. They don't exactly have a/c around like a typical museum, but they have some wonderful artifacts there. It's definitely worth a visit. The Santa Monica Pier is also kinda fun too. There's too much to do for just 12 hours, but those ideas and the ones mentioned above are a great place to start!
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

alaska737

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:06 am

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 4):
Flight Path Learning Center

Looked at that, and while it looks great, Its not open on Sundays  Sad

Sounds like Im going to Venice Beach for a while (hope the weather is good) and I'll probably stop by the In-N-out, is that within walking distance to the airport?

Oh and does Venice Beach have good taxi service or will I have to call a taxi company to pick me up?

deltairlines

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:25 am

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 4):
The Santa Monica Pier is also kinda fun too.

Another good idea. In fact, I would recommend paying the extra $5-7 each way to go there over Venice Beach. I find the Santa Monica Pier area to have more than Venice Beach (although at Venice Beach you can see the planes coming in/out of LAX, depending on runways)

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 5):
is that within walking distance to the airport?

In-N-Out is walkable to the airport if you have time. Maybe a 15 minute walk to Terminal 1.

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 5):
Oh and does Venice Beach have good taxi service or will I have to call a taxi company to pick me up?

Venice Beach (and Santa Monica Pier) both should have cabs hanging around for you to just walk up and grab one.