twolz2rn

CAI-DXB Flight Options

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm

In May I will be taking a trip to DXB to meet my parents, one of whom is speaking at a conference, and I was mulling over my flight options...

Currently my options are Singapore, Gulf Air (on the 77W), Qatar, EgyptAir, and Emirates. I'm not worred about layovers and that stuff...no matter which I pick, I will be doing a Trip report!

opinions??

Thanks!

HT

RE: CAI-DXB Flight Options

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 pm

As I have not experience any of the mentioned carriers lately, I can no comment from a comfort point of view.

Quoting Twolz2rn (Thread starter):
opinions??

1. Are tinings okay for your personal preference ?
2. Are you member of any FF-program ?
3. Fares ?

And then the A.nutter's questions ...:
a) Any new airline to fly ?
b) Any new Aircraft type to fly ?
c) Any new airport to use ?
Having checked random dates in May, fares for oneway flights (to DXB) appear to be okay for the sector length involved. And there are many attractive connections possible (incl. Damakus, Sanaa, KWI and AMM to name but a few ...).
Might even be an option to fly into/out of AUH on one leg.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

sq_ek_freak

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Well SQ out of Cairo will be on one of their older B773s (9V-SY_ series) that usually ply the South East Asian routes and EgpytAir is probably EQV but you will probably end up in a narrow body Airbus (and also have a code share flight with SQ, MS 9251)

With Qatar if you play it right you can get a pretty exotic mix of aircraft on the DXB route, they fly pretty much everything into Dubai, they have the B77W and A346 on certain flights on top of A330s and A320/A321s (DOH-CAI-DOH is served by the A330 as far as I know).

Gulf Air will be interesting as you'll get the Jet B77W as you say (though I didn't know that these aircraft were being flown on this route).

Emirates is the probably the fastest/easiest way for you to get to DXB, we have two flights on certain days of the week (I think we have an additional evening flight on the weekends?) on top of a daily morning flight. The aircraft type varies depending on the day of the week, ranging from a B772, B773 or a B773ER. All offer similar levels of comfort.

Another consideration - what class are you flying?
Keep Discovering

twolz2rn

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 am

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
1. Are tinings okay for your personal preference ?
2. Are you member of any FF-program ?
3. Fares ?

1. Timings don't really matter.
2. Skymiles/Worldperks, MilagePlus, and AAdvantage
3. Qatar, GulfAir, and EgyptAir are within about $30 of each other. SQ was cheapest by about $50 but have to go on different days (which doesn't matter).

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
And then the A.nutter's questions ...:
a) Any new airline to fly ?
b) Any new Aircraft type to fly ?
c) Any new airport to use ?

All the airlines would be new, but I've flown on the available aircrafts (with different airlines) and I've been to CAI and DXB.

Quoting SQ_EK_freak (Reply 2):
what class are you flying?

Y

OHLHD

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am

MS will fly a A330,A340,77W to DXB and EK has a 77W or 772 and SQ a 773 on this route.

Other direct flights could be with QR where you have A332 or A333 to DOH and a mix of 320,332,333,346 or 77W to DXB depending on the day and time you travel.

Other options are:

KU with A300, A320, A340 or 777
EY via AUH with a A346 and onward with the bus
GF with B777 and A320´s

sq_ek_freak

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Quoting Twolz2rn (Reply 3):
All the airlines would be new, but I've flown on the available aircrafts (with different airlines) and I've been to CAI and DXB.

Quoting Twolz2rn (Reply 3):
what class are you flying?

Y

So really in this case it seems as though it's really up to you, what airline are you personally itching to try the most? Between Qatar, Etihad, Emirates, and Singapore you have the choice between four world class airlines all ranked probably within the top 10 best airlines the world...what airline intrigues you the most?

Are you more inclined towards flying one of the big players or on a more "exotic" airline like MS or maybe even RJ?
Keep Discovering

ojas

Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:28 pm

he aircraft type varies depending on the day of the week, ranging from a B772, B773 or a B773ER. All offer similar levels of comfort.

Similar level of comforts?? In the 'Y' of B777 (3-4-3)??. LOL
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

sq_ek_freak

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting Ojas (Reply 6):

Similar level of comforts?? In the 'Y' of B777 (3-4-3)??. LOL

Hey hey now, I meant similar levels of comfort AMONGST each other, I actually I think our A330s that have the normal 2-4-2 layout are less comfortable! Besides, loose some width here, gain some pitch there? It's not all bad!  Wink
Keep Discovering

gardermoen

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 am

If you don't mind layovers, have you considered SriLankan Airlines KWI-DXB? They fly daily A330s and from what I have heard, they have some of the best fares on offer, and their service is pretty good too( I think someone did a recent report on this sector in Trip Reports)

So you'll need to take either KU or MS to KWI then.

raffik

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:11 pm

You could do ME CAI-BEY A320/A321 then BEY-DXB A330/A321 which would be quite nice.
Service is very good on MEA with PTVS, generous leg room, great food and service, and ofcourse, BEY airport, which is new and sparkly and provides great shopping opportunities.
- Alec