spokemd

Baggage Fees And Mixed Coach/First Class Travel

Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi,

My daughter and I have some domestic US travel coming up using frequent flier miles. Each of us has a routing where the first leg is in coach and the second leg is in first class. The first routing is on Continental and the first flight segment is fare class X (coach) and connecting to fair class I (first class). Coming back on Delta the fare class is N (coach) connecting to fare class R (first class). How do the baggage fees apply on each airline where there is a difference in service levels?

I know the Continental webpage states "The service fee will not apply to customers seated in First or BusinessFirst, OnePass Elite members, customers traveling on full-fare economy (Y) class tickets, or active military personnel." but for the first segment is coach or does the rule apply for any segment on the trip? What are the rules on Delta?

Thanks for your assistance.
kjot-kgai

trojanclipper

RE: Baggage Fees And Mixed Coach/First Class Trave

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:35 am

I have to be real honest with you here....

Baggage fees are charged and collected by the originating airline at the originating airport and the money collected at the airlines I have worked for remain locally (i.e. they profit the airline at that station and don't go toward a general fund for the airline).

Having said this, you are likely to get charged, but I would certainly state my case if they try to charge you when you check in. As they are retained locally, you won't get a straight answer by calling reservations, nor will a reservations agent waiving the fee help you when you get to the airport. However, it is a local decision that can waive the fee, so if they try to charge you, I would state your case and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Good luck!

deltairlines

RE: Baggage Fees And Mixed Coach/First Class Trave

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:48 am

Is there First Class on your first legs for both flights? If no, then you shouldn't be charged for a bag at all.

Best place to ask this question might be over on FlyerTalk...those guys have the nuances of baggage fees down to a science.