adools

United Domestic First Class "Snack"?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:50 am

Hi All,

I'm flying on UA flight 925 IAD-LAX, which departs at 10:05p from Washington DC. The First class meal lists "snack." Does any one know if this means something more elaborate than a bag of snack mix? I'm think of upgrading, and would like any info on first class on this flight. It's listed as an A320. Thanks!

adools

WROORD

RE: United Domestic First Class "Snack"?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:53 am

I'd say do not expect much. I flew recently ORD-SFO-ORD in AA first class and the highlight of the service was a choclate chip cookie.

ikramerica

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:11 am

First, booking engines often get the First Class meal wrong, though not this time it seems. Second, since it's after 10PM, it's not a meal time, so it won't be a meal. And third, it is going to be more than a bag of chips. It may be the "Minimeal" box though I would imagine you'd be allowed to request a different snackbox if you asked.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51257,00.html
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N104UA

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:27 am

It might be a cheese and fruit platter, that is what I had on my recent HNL-SFO redeye flight in F.
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:52 am

It's a long haul, and the same "Snack" on the former UA ANC-DEN was cheese and fruit, and there was plenty for a night ride to DEN.. . . . not bad at all.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

uaord2000

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:59 am

You can expect a fruit and cheese plate with deli meats.

warreng24

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Quoting Uaord2000 (Reply 5):
You can expect a fruit and cheese plate with deli meats.

Correct.

You may have more luck getting something more filling if you request a low-fat meal.

The low-fat special meal that is served on "snack flights" is usually a nice broiled/baked salmon fillet (or chicken breast) accompanied by a chutney of some sort, served with a side of fruit.

thebatman

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:15 pm

That cheese platter with the deli meats is actually pretty good, I think. If you have to pick one of those "snack boxes", pick the yellow one. It's got tuna, crackers, some cheese...not too bad if you HAVE to eat one.
Aircraft mechanics - because pilots need heroes too!

Alitalia744

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Not sure but believe snack box on UAL is fruit/cheese, crackers and a meet - either tuna or deli meats.

I usually fly Delta however, their snack is a turkey sandwich, salad and brownie.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

theengineer

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:42 pm

You should be happy with a snack. Fly first class with US and the only thing you get is a bottle of water for 3 hours.

LH4116

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:50 pm

I assume that you should might expect to get one of those infamous ExPlus, snack boxes, or a small pasta salad served in a paper cup. Or do they only serve that on UA Express flights?
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

BostonBeau

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm

As someone who has been flying since the 60's, it's almost painful to hear people waxing poetic about a "snack box" in First Class on a coast-to-coast nonstop flight on one of America's largest airlines. In the "good old days" you'd be getting a champagne moonlight hot supper even on a late evening departure. Have we really sunk this low? I can understand snack boxes in economy class...but in First Class?

BostonBeau

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm

As someone who has been flying since the 60's, it's almost painful to hear people waxing poetic about a "snack box" in First Class on a coast-to-coast nonstop flight on one of America's largest airlines. In the "good old days" you'd be getting a champagne moonlight hot supper even on a late evening departure. Have we really sunk this low? I can understand snack boxes in economy class...but in First Class?

zrs70

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:18 pm

No snack box. As reported, a nice fruit/ cheese/ deli plate. Perfect for a late light snack.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

flyboy80

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Pretty certain the "ExPlus" box is only offered in UnitedFirst on Express flights, hence the "ExPlus"

spirtofalaska

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Quoting BostonBeau (Reply 12):

yes well, this is the result of people demanding low fares... Airlines have had to change....
you fo'Coffee?

swaluvfa

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Quoting BostonBeau (Reply 11):

Have you noticed recently that this country is in a recession and that companies have to cut back a little bit to stay reasonable and competitive. Why on earth would an airline serve champagne and "moonlight suppers" in first class on a flight leaving at 10:05 pm that is full of frequent flier upgrades who probably had dinner earlier? Airlines don't have the money to splurge like that anymore.....

The fruit and cheese plate on UAL F/C redeyes is a perfect snack and PAX get to choose whatever beverage they want to accompany it. What's wrong with that?

ManchesterMAN

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Quoting Swaluvfa (Reply 16):
Have you noticed recently that this country is in a recession and that companies have to cut back a little bit to stay reasonable and competitive. Why on earth would an airline serve champagne and "moonlight suppers" in first class on a flight leaving at 10:05 pm that is full of frequent flier upgrades who probably had dinner earlier? Airlines don't have the money to splurge like that anymore.....

Maybe if they provided a bit more then it would be full of revenue F pax and not FF upgraders. It is a vicious circle - first you cut back the amenities and you lose revenue pax so to compensate you reduce amenities even further and lose more pax until F class becomes nothing more than 8 seats at the front of the plane to keep your economy paying frequent flyers happy.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

AirNZ

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:26 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 17):
Maybe if they provided a bit more then it would be full of revenue F pax and not FF upgraders. I

No matter what they provided it would still be mostly those looking for freebies. Until that mentality stops at an airline, it won't change. Simply put.....why pay for F when you can buy a much cheaper ticket and get it free?
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

twinotter

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Quoting Spirtofalaska (Reply 15):
yes well, this is the result of people demanding low fares... Airlines have had to change....

Actually it is a result of deregulation. When fares were fixed and the same for all carriers on a route, food and service were the only way the airlines could differentiate their product, so they went over-the-top on those. If airlines were reregulated and fares again fixed, you would see a return to fancy food in all classes. Of course, you would also pay a much higher fare.

dw9115

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:07 pm

You know United at one time was probably my favorite airline but they just keep going down hill last time I was on NWA first MSP to TUS we had a very good toasted sandwich with chips and fruit salad or you had a choice of a grilled chicken Casar I believe and the other way we had a good breakfast option of scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon and muffin and fruit salad and the other was I believe a bagel muffin granola option far better then the last few times I have been on United first but neither still can beat Continental

kurt

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 pm

A late-night or redeye snack in F will consist of a fruit (grapes, strawberries, melon or pineapple) and cheese (cheddar, jack) plate with some deli meat (usually ham or turkey). This comes with some Pepperidge Farms crackers (whole wheat, sesame, butter). A chocolate-chip cookie is the most likely dessert. It's fairly filling and the quality is usually pretty good. Most folks don't expect nor want a full meal at 10 p.m.

It's not a snack box - it's on a plate with a tablecloth underneath, with drinks and and nuts served beforehand. This is standard UA domestic F catering, folks. I love all the hand-wringing based on speculation. No, it's not SQ nor an American airline circa 1968, but it's not as dire as some would have you believe.

If you would like something more substantial, I'd suggest ordering a low-fat meal, which is a cold chicken breast or salmon filet served on top of a bed or orzo or seasoned rice. It comes with a side of fruit, a prepackaged bit of bread and a prepackaged cookie (like a Snackwells-brand).

[Edited 2009-04-08 11:31:33]

ikramerica

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Nobody is waxing poetic. We are just providing the information requested. He didn't ask "what do you think about only getting a snack?"

If he had, I'd have said it's ridiculous to say the least.  Wink

But he didn't ask, so I won't say that...  Smile

Quoting AirNz (Reply 18):
No matter what they provided it would still be mostly those looking for freebies.

Until people stop calling elite fliers who are filling seats that would otherwise be empty, allowing the main cabin to be oversold, "Freebies" then no real discussion can take place.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

laca773

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:33 pm

I believe the only redeye flights that have a more substantial snack in F & C are the p.s. flights.

hrc773

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Working as a f/a before and after 9/11, I saw first hand the cutbacks in catering. I always loved serving a nice meal in f/c. When I saw myself serving a cold deli plate on a reclosable plastic container in f/c at 6:00pm and wine in plastic cups (this is a legacy carrier), I knew it was time to dust off the resume.

USAirALB

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm

I believe UA has 2 types of "snacks" in F, a small fruit and cheese platter in a styrofoam basket for medium haul flights. I've see this on ORD-ALB mainline flights. They also have a larger snack plate which you'll probably see.
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

wntex

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Quoting Twinotter (Reply 19):
Actually it is a result of deregulation. When fares were fixed and the same for all carriers on a route, food and service were the only way the airlines could differentiate their product, so they went over-the-top on those. If airlines were reregulated and fares again fixed, you would see a return to fancy food in all classes. Of course, you would also pay a much higher fare.

checkmark 

you beat me to it  Smile

Awesome airline food is about the only good thing that could result from government regulation of the industry  yes 
"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now." -Zig Ziglar

irelayer

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 20):
You know United at one time was probably my favorite airline but they just keep going down hill last time I was on NWA first MSP to TUS we had a very good toasted sandwich with chips and fruit salad or you had a choice of a grilled chicken Casar I believe and the other way we had a good breakfast option of scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon and muffin and fruit salad and the other was I believe a bagel muffin granola option far better then the last few times I have been on United first but neither still can beat Continental

Does anyone remember UA serving McDonald's as the kids meal? It was awesome!

By the way...Dw9115, have you heard of punctuation (E.G. periods, commas, etc...)? Your post gave me a headache  Smile

-IR

UA772IAD

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 am

Be sure to eat before you leave, because what's offered probably won't fill you if you plan on skipping dinner.

Quoting Kurt (Reply 21):
A late-night or redeye snack in F will consist of a fruit (grapes, strawberries, melon or pineapple) and cheese (cheddar, jack) plate with some deli meat (usually ham or turkey). This comes with some Pepperidge Farms crackers (whole wheat, sesame, butter). A chocolate-chip cookie is the most likely dessert. It's fairly filling and the quality is usually pretty good. Most folks don't expect nor want a full meal at 10 p.m.

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. Having flown QF, NZ, SQ, AF, LH during late evening departures, a lot of folks do sleep as soon as they get settled, but there are still plenty who choose to eat. Think of those travelling on business who didn't have time to grab dinner before heading to the airport. 10 P.M. certainly isn't a 'normal' dinner time, unless you're in Southern Europe, but that doesn't mean people won't eat.

I had a deli plate on a SFO-IAD redeye, and it was a bit disappointing. Not because it was just a fruit plate, but the presentation was disappointing, as was the quantity. The bowl of fruit, consisted of ONE piece of pineapple, ONE piece of melon, a small cluster of grapes (6-7 total) and TWO strawberries. In addition, we got two packets of small crackers (looked like they came out of the Red Carpet Club since they were the same kind) and a small (2 x2 inch) pre packaged brownie of some unrecognizable brand). On descent, literally, 10-15 minutes before landing, the flight attendants came around with a tray of OJ or water. No coffee was offered (not saying they didn't have it), and no pre-arrival meal (biscoffs, crackers, anything). Following the 'main meal service' water was not distributed. And this was First Class.

I think there's lots of room for improvement...

warreng24

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:14 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 25):
I believe UA has 2 types of "snacks" in F, a small fruit and cheese platter in a styrofoam basket for medium haul flights. I've see this on ORD-ALB mainline flights. They also have a larger snack plate which you'll probably see.

Not exactly correct.

1) Small snack plate with fruit and cheese only (1 slice of cheese, 1 package of crackers, 1 fruit item)

For a short time these were served on the short-haul west coast flights (SFO-SEA, SFO-PDX) mainly to compete with AS.

2) Large snack plate with fruit and cheese only (2 slices of cheese, 2 packages of crackers, 2 fruit items)

This is the mainstay of the short-haul flights.

3) Ex-Shuttle snack plate (served in a black plastic box as USAirALB mentions above).

This is served only on the 737 aircraft in the old "Shuttle by United" configurations. Those aircraft have drawers, no carts, and no refrigeration (only ice).

4) Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat plate (2 slices of cheese, 2 packages of crackers, 2 fruit items, 2 slices of deli meat)

This is served without dessert on mid-cons and former Business1 routes (ORD-DCA, ORD-BOS, ORD-LGA, ORD-IAD, ORD-BWI, etc...)

This is served with dessert on long-hauls, redeyes, and Hawaii. Dessert is usually a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie.

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 23):
I believe the only redeye flights that have a more substantial snack in F & C are the p.s. flights.

Red-eye P.S. flights in F & C have snack plates similar to #4 above. There is a seperate pre-arrival snack for breakfast flights.

Quoting Kurt (Reply 21):
If you would like something more substantial, I'd suggest ordering a low-fat meal, which is a cold chicken breast or salmon filet served on top of a bed or orzo or seasoned rice. It comes with a side of fruit, a prepackaged bit of bread and a prepackaged cookie (like a Snackwells-brand).

Yup. That's been my experience as well. Mid-con flights will not get dessert. Only long-haul, redeye and Hawaii flights get dessert.

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 14):
Pretty certain the "ExPlus" box is only offered in UnitedFirst on Express flights, hence the "ExPlus"

The "ExPlus" box is now gone. United First class on United Express ExPlus flights (CR7 and E70 flights) now choose from a MiniMeal for Lunch/Dinner or a Smartpack for Breakfast.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51501,00.html

ytib

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 am

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 27):
Does anyone remember UA serving McDonald's as the kids meal? It was awesome!

They stopped doing that about 10 years ago. I still have some of the toys around somewhere. Food loading truck as well as a baggage cart with some McDonalds characters driving them. Ronald was in the plane, which I don't have but knew someone who got it. It was always interesting to see the flight attendants search for the kid.

usafret

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:44 am

On AA X Class up to DCA from STL, on the 0640 departure I was surprised we were offered cereal and a banana plus a fruit cup AND a biscuit or bagel. That is more than on previous flights as they added the cereal. AA serves a meal on X class flights around meal time with a schedule of 2 hours gate to gate. Otherwise we on morning flights we get the small cookie biscuit or on later flights we get the hot nut mix and baked cc cookie on flights below 2 scheduled hours at non meal hours and on flights below that, just the bagged "premium snack mix" with F/As giving two or more out to the passengers. Longer flights in first at meal time get a more elaborate hot breakfast or hot entree lunch or choice of a nice salad with cheese and crackers and the baked cc cookie. Like the others, I remember meals being more elaborate in the 1960s and 1970s even in coach.

57AZ

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 am

Yes. The low fares and the affordability (and convenience) of private aircraft have degraded the overall pool of people traveling "First" Class in the US to people traveling on airline rewards, airline employees, government employees and lower level business people. The high rollers have left the airliners and won't be back. For domestic travel, why should I pay the airline to travel when I can travel by private aircraft for a comparable cost at my convenience and to airports that are much closer to my destination than the few that the airlines serve? Face it-the Golden Age of US Airlines is gone. It's been gone for years and isn't coming back.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

mauiman31

Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 27):
The bowl of fruit, consisted of ONE piece of pineapple, ONE piece of melon, a small cluster of grapes (6-7 total) and TWO strawberries.

Thanks for that detail. . . it made me laugh. Sounds like the fruit plate I got on AA for breakfast a few weeks ago. It looked silly on the plate. It was evident the FA was embarassed serving it.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 32):
Face it-the Golden Age of US Airlines is gone.

Ah, but it was fun. . . too bad it's gone. O.k. one more "whine" from the past lol. . . . I used to fly BN a lot in the 70's- pre-dereg, of course - DAL to MCI -- usually a later departure, say 9:00 p.m.'ish. In coach, as we called it then. We got dinner and free wine. Less than 2 hours gate to gate. Unbelievable now, of course. But standard for every legacy then. Fun times.