LDIkaros
Topic Author

LH Or AC From SFO To Germany - Help Me Decide

Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 am

Hi everybody,

I want to take advantage of the great fares that are currently offered between the US and Europe and decided to visit my home country, Germany, for 2 weeks starting at the end of May.

I have narrowed my selection to 2 choices.

1.) Air Canada from SFO via Montreal and Frankfurt to NUE and then back from Berlin via Frankfurt and Calgary.

2.) LH nonstop to MUC and then on to NUE. From Berlin it's via MUC nostop back to SFO.

AC is only about $425 whereas LH is about $630 when booked directly on the airline websites.

I can't quite decide what carrier and routing to take.

Advantages of AC: $200 cheaper, new routing (I have never been to Montreal or Calgary).
Advantages of LH: A346 with IFE, nonstops SFO-MUC-SFO, shortest trip time, better flight times.

Normally I would fly LH, despite being somewhat more expensive, but I have flown them quite often on the SFO-MUC nonstops so I would like to try something different.

How does AC compare to LH? Do you get free booze on AC and what is the meal quality like nowadays? How reliable is AC considering I have connections in Montreal and Calgary on the outbound and inbound trips? What about seat comfort and IFE? The AC international segments are schedules to be on 77W and A330 aircraft.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

LDIkaros

jetplaner

RE: LH Or AC From SFO To Germany - Help Me Decide

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:38 pm

As I haven't flown Lufthansa, I can't give much of an opinion on it, but I have flown Air Canada. Assuming your plane is in the new AC interior, which it probably will be, you will have a PTV with TV shows, movies, and all that stuff. The seat is relatively comfortable and pitch is good. According to Air Canada's website, there is free booze on international flights in economy.
Also, here is a link to a trip report comparing AC's 77W and LH A346. A very well written trip report, by the way, but the AC connection is through YYZ, though.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/134129

-Jetplaner

LDIkaros
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:58 am

Quoting Jetplaner (Reply 1):
As I haven't flown Lufthansa, I can't give much of an opinion on it, but I have flown Air Canada. Assuming your plane is in the new AC interior, which it probably will be, you will have a PTV with TV shows, movies, and all that stuff. The seat is relatively comfortable and pitch is good. According to Air Canada's website, there is free booze on international flights in economy.
Also, here is a link to a trip report comparing AC's 77W and LH A346. A very well written trip report, by the way, but the AC connection is through YYZ, though.

Thanks, Jetplaner.

Air Canada it is! I just booked my AC flight with connections in Montreal and Calgary. The cabin pics of the 77W plus the trip report convinced me that I should finally try them out.

ZBBYLW

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:50 am

Quoting LDIkaros (Reply 2):

Probably a good choice. LH is a great airline, but traveling AC you will get a chance to fly to new destinations, and the deal is pretty good!

On a side note - $425 dollars round trip to Germany! Jesus the airlines must be hurting REAL bad right now!
Keep the shinny side up!

Continental

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 3):
On a side note - $425 dollars round trip
to Germany! Jesus the airlines must be hurting REAL bad right now!

No fair! I booked AC/LH from MSP to VCE last week for about $1100! I bought it at night which was a mistake, as it was about $100 cheaper in the morning. I'm glad I did it, because it's much cheaper than any other airline currently.

Regardless, I too cannot wait to fly the 77W.