DL787932ER
Topic Author

Finding Cheapest Departure City For A Destination?

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:18 am

A friend just presented me with an interesting travel question, and I'm not quite sure whether it's possible to find this info.

He wants to go to Hawaii in June. He has two free tickets on United from a denied boarding that are good to anywhere in the continental US. So he wants to find what city has the cheapest round trips to Hawaii, use his United passes to fly to that city, and then fly to Hawaii. He knows that wouldn't be a single itinerary, he'd have to recheck his bags, United's not responsible if he misses his connection, etc. He'll probably plan to fly to the city the night before.

So how does one find out what city has the cheapest fares to Hawaii? He doesn't care which city in Hawaii he flies to, and his travel dates are completely flexible. The only problem is that his United passes are about to expire, and he has to book that part of the flight by 3PM tomorrow. Any ideas?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

Sancho99504

RE: Finding Cheapest Departure City For A Destinat

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:22 am

I would just got to United.com and search the different HNL/OGG/KOA to mainland flights and see which is cheapest and then take a look at the rt in a reverse order and go from there.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

FlyASAGuy2005

RE: Finding Cheapest Departure City For A Destinat

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 am

For me, i've found that competitor flights even if it requires a 1-stop are cheaper than flying the bigger carrier (not always true obviously). I.E.: I actually live in Atlanta. I'd look for a flight to STT. ATL-STT-ATL might be 600+ on DL but ATL-CLT-STT is might be about 400+. Converse, I look up CLT-STT-CLT, it was much more expensive than DL's CLT-ATL-STT. It doesn't work out like this all the time but it works for me for the most part.

Not sure if this will help in your case but just a thought.
What gets measured gets done.