chase

FL Connections At IND, Now (and Future?)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:14 pm

FL's routemap out of IND has always seemed a bit strange to me - a couple cities out West, ATL, and Florida. It makes me question the non-O&D usefulness of the IND-LAX, IND-LAX, and former IND-SFO flights. Not a whole lot of point in going XXX-IND-ATL since you could fly XXX-ATL nonstop. LAS/LAX-IND-Florida is a longer trip than LAS/LAX-ATL-Florida. So, I'm wondering:

1) Does FL sell itineraries that connect in IND? Anybody know approximately what % of FL's IND customers are connecting there?
2) It would make more geographical (as opposed to economic or operational, which I have no idea about) sense to connect LAS/LAX-IND-Northeast than LAS/LAX-ATL-Northeast. Does anybody think that FL will ever add flight(s) from IND to the Northeast?

I guess I'll give my own answer to #2. I don't think it's likely, since FL now has so much going on in MKE. There's not much point in adding LAX-IND-BOS since they're already running LAX-MKE-BOS, for instance.

mke717spotter

RE: FL Connections At IND, Now (and Future?)

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:43 am

Quoting Chase (Thread starter):
Does FL sell itineraries that connect in IND?

Just the other day I was looking on FL's site for a flight from MCO and one of the options had me connecting in STL. If FL offers connections at STL (FL only flies to MKE, MCO, and ATL from STL btw) then I wouldn't be surprised if IND has some as well.

Quoting Chase (Thread starter):
Does anybody think that FL will ever add flight(s) from IND to the Northeast?

BWI is the first one that comes to mind. Its one of their focus cities after all and WN is the only other airline on the route with 3 flights. It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard for them to add that one.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Jeremy

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:49 am

BWI has been a rumor for years but I don't see it happening.

As for connections in IND, I have not seen any on FL, but I have seen passengers riding through to ATL from the west coast.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

vatveng

Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 1):
Just the other day I was looking on FL's site for a flight from MCO and one of the options had me connecting in STL. If FL offers connections at STL (FL only flies to MKE, MCO, and ATL from STL btw) then I wouldn't be surprised if IND has some as well.

It's possible to book a connection from LGA-PHF-ATL. And a connection LGA-MKE-ATL. And a direct flight LGA-CAK-ATL. This despite the fact that they fly nonstop LGA-ATL 9x daily.

They do all kinds of weird connections outside of ATL. Even if you're going to Atlanta.

zippyjet

Mon May 04, 2009 4:41 am

The connection derby in the Mid West seems to be MKE. From Fall to this week if you wanted to get to LAS or LAX from BWI you could connect through MKE as well as ATL. But, this week we resume our nonstop BWI-LAX flights. There's some rumor of BWI-LAS and possibly SFO. But, in our industry the rumor mill flies at warp speed.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Cubsrule

Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Quoting Jeremy (Reply 2):
BWI has been a rumor for years but I don't see it happening.

Seemingly as a rule, FL does not fly routes that WN flies ex-BWI unless they are to Florida.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more