TheRedBaron

What Do You Miss About "the Good Old Days&quo

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Air Travel has changed a lot in the last 40 years, yes its a lot cheaper than before but the wow factor and the "jet set" no longer exists, in fact with the Concorde gone, travel as an experience has become boring, new introductions and EIS like the A380 or newer seats are the novelty thing nowadays, but so many things have changed, that today seem like legends or tall tales....

share yours...

Mine a lot, like getting as a kid to the cabin to meet the captain, getting my WESTERN AIRLINES WINGS.
Napkins with the logo and all the soaps in the lav, with logos and nice little boxes.
Traveling well dressed and with tie....

heck a lot have changed, metal knives and such, china in First class, big menus...

Getting to the tarmac via stairs and greeting people from the plane door....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

AA737-823

RE: What Do You Miss About "the Good Old Days

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:33 pm

The one thing I miss the most is flying AA, in coach, from Chicago to Dallas, and getting offered A CHOICE of Cajun Chicken OR Lasagne.
In a real bowl. Made out of porcelain. With an actual fork.
Now they charge you $5 for a slice of turkey rolled up in a tortilla, and it comes with a plastic spork, for whatever reason.

m11stephen

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:39 pm

*Trailer trash sticking to Greyhound.
*People dressing up for flights (would it kill people to put on a polo and khakis these days?)
*Wide bodies on domestic flights.
*Booking a ticket on an airline meant you were flying that airline, not blah blah blah operated by xyz airline.
*Flying still had excitement in it. Now a days I show up to the airport and don't even get butterflies in my stomach anymore, and I go what happened?
*Airlines truly caring about customer service.
*F/As who truly enjoyed their jobs. (Kudos to those F/As who still do care, I know they're are still a ton of you out there but unfortunately those of you who hate your jobs stick out like a green thumb.)
*An transatlantic flight meant a wide body aircraft such as a DC-10, 747, L1011.

I know someone will say F/As in mini skirts and hot pants. I'm glad that's gone and I'm glad F/As are (although slowly) starting to get the respect they deserve.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

aznmadsci

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:40 pm

I miss the ability to head to the airport and watch people depart and arrive airside, as well as planespotting.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

seabosdca

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I miss the ability to get airside and watch aircraft from the terminal windows.

I DO NOT miss the ridiculously expensive tickets.

I miss the pervasive cigarette smoke everywhere even less.        To be completely honest, the memory of horrible smokiness basically overwhelms all other memories I have of flying in the pre-smoking-ban days.

[Edited 2009-04-18 14:45:28]

jlbmedia

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:46 pm

I miss being able to just spend a day walking around inside the airport. Going down the concourses to see the planes up close. Watching all the people rushing around to get to their final destinations. I also miss just parking around the airport perimeter without being harassed by the police. Lastly, I miss the sound of a 727 taking off. John.
JLB54061

Baexecutive

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I miss the following:

Getting a real paper ticket in a wallet (saddo I know)
Full meal service on UK domestic flights (usually GLA/LHR)
British Midland
Seeing loads of wee aircraft in BA colours at the airport (again usually at Glasgow)

Quoting M11Stephen (Reply 2):
Trailer trash sticking to Greyhound.

Me too only its called National Express over here  Wink

STT757

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 3):
I miss the ability to head to the airport and watch people depart and arrive airside, as well as planespotting.

+ 1

I also miss not having to take off my shoes and throw out liquids, gels etc..
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Lono

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Seat 4D on a 727 200 drinking jack and cokes and enjoying a smoke...
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

rb211

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Observation decks as well being able to see the rear of a/c hanging over the parking lot @ KATL , being able to sit in coach without getting crushed by the seat in front of me, watching the wings on a 727 "come apart" ,l-1011's and the sound of them starting their engines, the old Hartsfield terminal (KATL) , Whisperliners,Whisperjets,etc., being able to walk all of the way to the gate, the paint schemes on the aircraft, (as compared to the standard corporate liveries today.), i.e. the Delta Widget from the late 80's.Boarding DC-9's ,737's & 727's using air stairs instead of jet bridges.
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

N62NA

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm

I miss on time departures and on time arrivals.  cry 

justlump

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:09 pm

I miss the smell of Jet-A while boarding via external stairs, and printed timetables.

mtnwest1979

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:15 pm

I miss seeing the various commuter airlines and their own independent paint schemes and identities. I long for the pre-codesharing days.

Also, seeing mainline jets at the small cities ( Hughes Airwest DC-9 in Twin falls,ID; various 727s in Amarillo,etc) and so forth.

One vivid memory is transferring from United to Western in SFO and inhaling the mix of jet fuel and sea air outside. I still love that aroma when I can experience it these days.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

shamrock604

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Things I miss:

- Providing a service to be proud of
- Earning a salary comensurate with the responsibility I have
- Not seeing the filth of society boarding flights and acting like animals (sorry to insult animals)
- Not being treated as a threat to national security every time I go to work
- Being able to honestly recommend this industry as a viable career
- Duty Free on flights within the EU!
- People actually being willing to pay at least what it costs to fly them!  Wink

FI642

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 pm

What is missing most IMHO is the cooperation that used to exist among carriers.
Twenty five years ago everyone helped each other out. Got an over sale? No problem
Eastern will take them. Flight to Dallas just went south? No problem, send them to Delta.

We were all sort of family then. Even the customers knew it. "Sorry your flight is
canceled." They would laugh and say "Oh we get to go on an adventure!"

All of that is gone. The bean counters prohibit it.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

DBQ

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 pm

I miss the routine bonuses: 1984, a basic UA flight Boise to Denver, they held a drawing where if you had the oldest penny, you won a bottle of champagne.
I miss when a full flight was considered something disturbing, and about a dozen people were involved in trying to load up the flight.
I miss all the goodies and the free Old Style Special Export and extra legroom that Frontier had on its primitive 737s.

OA260

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:32 pm

*People dressing up for flights (would it kill people to put on a polo and khakis these days?)
*Booking a ticket on an airline meant you were flying that airline, not blah blah blah operated by xyz airline.
*Flying still had excitement in it. Now a days I show up to the airport and don't even get butterflies in my stomach anymore, and I go what happened?
*F/As who truly enjoyed their jobs. (Kudos to those F/As who still do care, I know they're are still a ton of you out there but unfortunately those of you who hate your jobs stick out like a green thumb.)
*An transatlantic flight meant a wide body aircraft such as a DC-10, 747, L1011.

Yes I agree with all of that. I also miss the A300-B4

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 13):
- Duty Free on flights within the EU!

That was the biggest con ever we were fed by Brussels. The excuse was to harmonise prices across the EU. Sure worked  Yeah sure

Bring back duty free within the EU.

shamrock604

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
That was the biggest con ever we were fed by Brussels. The excuse was to harmonise prices across the EU. Sure worked

Bring back duty free within the EU.

Quite. It was complete rubbish.

If the EU wasnt a collection of sovereign states with full control over their own taxation, I would have agreed with it being abolished. Not so the way things are. Of course its fine for me as airline staff, I just get a zed ticket if I want to buy something and I know its significantly cheaper in some other country.. but thats not exactly viable for someone who has to pay full fare!  Wink

comorin

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:41 pm

I miss the First Class experience passengers felt when traveling in Tourist Class. I'm glad however that air travel has become affordable, but it's tough to travel Economy with today's seat pitch for long flights.

Having said that, I'm glad it's not the good old days. I don't know how many of you have had your fillings come off with the drone of a DC-3, or realize how essential the toffees and airsickness bags were in those days. The worst aspect of it was indeed the pervasive cigarette smoke - as fashionable as flying was in those days.

Air travel pre-INS, pre-turbine and pre-weather satellites was also not very safe. Airplanes got lost, banged into mountains, and flew into thunderstorms. Thank god for all the safety advances since that time! I am a little surprised, however, that we still fly around in tubes at 600 mph - we should have moved far beyond that!

TrijetsRMissed

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:46 pm

I miss the days when it came to plane spotting, variety was quite the spice. Now variety is which version of the 737NG are we going to see. From the enthusiast point of view, things are way too monotonous now. Starting with the demise of MDC and snow balling after 9/11.

Other than that, my user name says it all.  Smile
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

nycbjr

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I remember several flights in the 70's as a kid and getting served the most salty Salisbury steak, but it was good lol.. ahh full meal service

about all I can remember from the "good ole days"

Adam727

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I miss seeing the 727s around I have never been on them but I sure loved seeing the around.

flymd

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 pm

I MISS:

-The old airline ticket jackets and paper tickets
-Feeling like my business was appretiated
-Flying widebodies on trans-continental flights
-The DC-10 and the 727. God, I loved those aircraft.
-Getting good service in Coach!. Now, Business and First classes are like flying apartments (and priced accordingly) while Coach is the pits!
-Not having to strip at security
-Getting meals on flights (especially 5+ hour transcons and Hawaii runs)
-Themed flights (like special uniforms on Hawaii runs)
-The old UA colors
-The original Midway Airlines, Eastern, TWA, Pan Am and ATA

[Edited 2009-04-18 15:54:15]
Fly the friendly skies of life!. Enjoy every minute.

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:57 pm

I know someone will say F/As in mini skirts and hot pants.

Duh! How could you not miss that!  drool 

I'm glad that's gone and I'm glad F/As are (although slowly) starting to get the respect they deserve.

If anything they have less respect nowadays than in the yesteryear, but that's my opinion only.

malaysia

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:02 pm

jumpseating in the cockpit as a regular airline employee and even as a passenger
food in coach
Most of all TWA
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

NWAESC

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Quoting Jlbmedia (Reply 5):
I miss being able to just spend a day walking around inside the airport.

YES.

Remember right before 9/11 the movement to make some airports a destination all on their own again? That'd be nice to see return...

Quoting FI642 (Reply 14):
What is missing most IMHO is the cooperation that used to exist among carriers.

I dunno, I think it still exists to an extent; certainly at smaller airfields. In my city, we always lend out equipment to other carriers (ie airstarts, towbars for charters, etc.), as well as doing our own borrowing.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

skymiler

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:09 pm

[quote=M11Stephen,reply=2*People dressing up for flights (would it kill people to put on a polo and khakis these days?)
*An transatlantic flight meant a wide body aircraft such as a DC-10, 747, L1011. [/quote]

Note especially "People dressing Up ......"

It may sound strange, but when I travel, and with my kids, it is ALWAYS collared shirts, neat slacks, good shoes, etc. They are now 19 and 17, have each been flying since they were 6 weeks old and have NO problem with that standard. When I go in the Crown Room (sorry, Sky Club) in ATL, the first question I get is "how are the kids". No matter what other standards have slipped, this is one I live by -- and I suspect that many of the experienced airline personnel who remember those days appreciate it!

I also miss the First Class upper lounge dining on the Pan Am 747SP's, (such as were used JFK - GIG) which was only available by reservation and an extra $20!!! Full suit and tie required!

Amd I TOTALLY agree with the other items listed!

Luckily I was able to travel a lot during those great days ...
I love to fly, and it shows!

TrijetsRMissed

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:25 pm

I also miss how between the AA and UA hubs, ORD was DC-10 paradise. To an extent, the UA hub stayed this way up til the late 90's, AA not so much.

The folks who visited LAX back in the day could surely relate.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

flood

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 13):
Not seeing the filth of society boarding flights and acting like animals (sorry to insult animals)

yep, and...

As a kid, actually being asked if I wanted to see the cockpit, without even having to ask myself! The poor kids these days, hehe.

I also miss those neat little soap bars from the lav  blush  I recall proudly giving the dozen or so I would swipe to my grandma whenever I visited her, together with all the little salt and pepper packets I had collected, lol. Heck, I miss my Grandma.

I miss check-in counters manned by humans. I know they're not quite extinct yet, but we're getting there.

I miss being asked "smoking or non-smoking"  Big grin

I miss being able to lock my suitcase using whatever damn lock I want, not having to worry about any stupid liquids in my carry-on, and I miss being able to walk through security fully dressed!

mal787

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):

agree 100% on all these
Real cutlery
Cockpit visits My last was in 2000 on a QF744 as we flew over India on way to Singapore from london
Kids with manners now days most are spoilt bratts and make flting hell
727's
and finaly Ansett a great airline

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

KRIC777

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 1):
Booking a ticket on an airline meant you were flying that airline, not blah blah blah operated by xyz airline.

Hallelujah....living in a city (Richmond, VA) with rather limited mainline service, I get tired of having to carefully book my flights and arrange my travel times to ensure that I'm not stuck on a CR1 or CR2 for two hours.

QantasA333

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Quoting SeaBosDca (Reply 4):
I miss the ability to get airside and watch aircraft from the terminal windows.

In fact, the local airport ADL still allows you to go airside even without a ticket  Smile

I'm 15 so I have basically grown up in today's air travel state. At least I have QF still, still giving out free drinks and food  Smile Flying them tomorrow to MEL.

pnwtraveler

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:57 pm

The aircraft seating chart on the wall at the gate that they marked when a seat was assigned. The stickers with your Aeroplan number on that you placed on both the boarding pass and one copy of the flight coupon. Champagne as you sat down while the flight was boarding. Hot everything. The mini bottles of everything that flight attendants would freely hand out - giving you some for "later" just before they packed up before landing. Actually good meals (except my first flight as kid they served Lima beans).

captaink

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 pm

I miss BWIA West Indies Airways and riding the MD83 from the Caribbean to New York. I miss that upon take off, over a beautiful Caribbean sunset, I would smell the dinner that was being warmed. I miss the actually tastey inflight meal.

I miss American Airlines Luxury Liners and Jets, and their inflight catering. Oh yeah, AA did serve pretty decent meals back in the day.

Hey lets just go all the way, I miss the only beef dinner I ever had on a US Airways flight, BGI-PHL. Oh yaeh I had a hot delicious meal on a US Airways flight, and unlike the first two examples this was around 2002, so not that long ago. HAHA.
There is something special about planes....

m11stephen

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 23):
If anything they have less respect nowadays than in the yesteryear, but that's my opinion only.

Yes, they were nice to look at but id rather have them be treated as a valuable member of a crew rather than the sex item they were portrayed as back then. After US1549, CO1404, AF358, etc. all accidents in which F/As saved lives, people are slowly starting to get the idea that they are primarily there (Although they still have secondary service responsibilities) for the safety of the passengers.

I also forgot to say I miss the on board lounges! Of course they're entirely uneconomical but I still miss them!  Smile
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

rw717

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:15 am

The little toys I got when I would non-rev on Hughes Airwest, i.e. the puzzle where you had to get the little ball bearing in the holes and the blow up "Top Banana" planes. My dad waiting at the edge of the jetway when i stepped off of the plane and driving me to the bag room at LAS on a tug, it was the coolest thing ever to an 8 year old. In fact I think the first vehicle I ever drove was a baggage tug at LAS. Those are GREAT memoriesI
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

jetplaner

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:26 am

I miss mainline service. Regional airliners air polluting airport. And yes, I know, they give more flights and frequencies, but I miss mainline aircraft. Also, I miss variety of aircraft. Spotting used to be really exciting, but, as stated, above, spotting is which 737NG, A320 or CRJ is coming.

-Jetplaner

ARGinLON

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 am

Yes, the meals in short haul flights is something a miss big time. I remember doing BA LHR-FCO and getting a full hot meal on a try with dessert followed by coffee service. But as many said, the average pax has changed a lot. Even 15 years ago, there was glamor out there with pax dressing properly for a flight and behaving appropriately. These days they board with their fast food junk, watermelon dresses, unclassy accent... I can't afford club class (unless I travel for work or do the odd upgrade with miles) so not much i can do.

mrcoffee

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:42 am

Non-rev on TWA.
Going from employee parking at TWA SFO (By the hangar) to the employee crew bus, right to the TWA gates.
Widebodies from PHX - STL (Usually an L-1011, but had a red-eye 767 a few times.)
First class.
Dressing up for flights. (Even used to wear a suit when we flew Southwest non-rev. We really stuck out.)

lincoln

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:01 am

My first flight was in Feburary of '89 (the Friday before the Superbowl, to be specific, FAT-SAN on Westair DBA United Express) -- I was talking to a coworker last week when I realized that I've been flying for 20 years, between that and my impending 25th birthday I'm feeling OLD, but I realize that I started long after the true "good ole days" but....

* - Agents who really seem to enjoy what they're doing-- there are still a lot of them, and on CO I've yet to meet one who was unprofessional, but a lot of agents, for every airline, are just "there" and going through the motions.

* - Paper tickets. There's something tangible -- a sense of adventure -- about a paper ticket that I don't get from an eTicket, even if I do print the itinerary page. Loose a paper ticket... it's a big deal. Loose a eTicket itinerary/boarding pass/etc no one thinks twice. I remember having to be home and sign for FedEx deliveries of tickets the first couple times I used this new-fangled service called "Travelocity"

* - Paper timetables. I remember when I was 10-ish sitting at the gate at FAT waiting to fly home and spending hours flipping through the time table (which there were stacks of in a little holder at the gate) learning about ticketing policies, legal connections, code sharing and building imaginiary trips to far away cities. I've been to most of those cities now, at least the ones in the US, and yeah you can get the electronic versions, but again... flipping through page after page of flights from cities you've never heard of to cities you've never been.

Quoting Theredbaron (Thread starter):
metal knives and such, china in First class,

CO still has both of these in First.

People dressing up for flights (would it kill people to put on a polo and khakis these days?)

I think this is a society as a whole thing... But set the example  Smile. I dress like a complete slob in the office, but anytime I go near an airport (or a client, don't worry) I do slacks and a button-down shirt. Aside from the trips to the drycleaner, it really doesn't take much effort.

(My boss told me during my interview not to ever let him catch me with one of those (pointing at my tie) again... very casual office. I wish I had a reason to own a decent suit)

+1
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

L1011Lover

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:12 am

What I miss the most:

- Lockheed TriStar L1011's
- Trijets in general (Boeing 727, DC-10...)
- the varietey of different aircraft types and manufacters
- Delta's old red and blue widget and their 30 year old corporate ID
- printed timetables
- free of charge food, snack and beverage service in all classes on many US domestic flights
- the absence of carriers like Ryanair
- Pan Am, TWA
- US carriers flying intra-Europe and especially PA's/DL's FRA hub
- the visitors terrace in FRA... I wouldn't go there anymore, I'm a FA now and see enough planes inside and out on a daily basis, but I feel sorry for the younger generations. What are they going to do, where can they go to feel the exitement and to live out their enthusiasm for aviation???

On the other hand I'm very glad that air travel has become affordable to most people, however if we think back ONLY 10-15 years - to the early, mid 90's - air travel was already affordable, but it was still a bit different from nowadays. Even when I first started working as a FA almost 13 years ago it was different. I believe 9/11 was the final blow to the glamour in commercial aviation. Although from my perspective as a FA I still feel the jetset and the excitement... flying around the world as a FA is still something very special... I still feel like part of the jetset... London today, Paris tomorrow, Los Angeles next week... breakfast at home, dinner in New York... it's still a heck of a ride... I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Best regards

L1011Lover

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:27 am

A top 20 favorite Airliners.net chestnut. At least this time we're mostly talking about onboard service, the air travel experience, the charms (and disadvantages) of older airport terminals, instead of having a shouting match about the merits of USA deregulation. But since one point was raised that needs response, I'll offer a tentative answer (with no shouting  Smile ).

People actually being willing to pay at least what it costs to fly them!

With respect, Shamrock, this argument is faulty. Air travel in the USA was over-cost and over-priced before deregulation, and the market has rationalized the cost of air travel. Airline unions had helped make the cost of air travel excessive, and it was right and proper that deregulation and competition have rationalized the cost.

Airline employees who are not happy with pay have one very simple way to cast their vote: get a different career. Management designs the operations and sets the prices, consumers comparison shop, and employees choose to offer or not offer their services. Everyone has a way to cast their ballot to shape the structure and cost of air travel. Employees can choose to exercise, or not exercise, theirs.

Aas a consumer, I buy any low fare an airline offers without apology and with the knowledge that I am doing a good, just thing by doing so.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

mainMAN

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:27 am

A trip to the travel agent/airline office, sit down, discuss my travels plans, pay and get a paper ticket.

I used to book all my LHR-MAN-LHR shuttle tickets at the BA office on Regent St, in person, back in the days when flying somewhere was a bit of an adventure....  Wink

acabgd

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:32 am

Someone mentioned the cooperation between airlines. As I flew non-rev more than often, I must say I really miss that.

There was absolutely no question whether I could board any flight as a colleague, unless it was really 100% fully booked. Many times I've been accepted on a flight (SR, LH, AZ, AF, PA...) and they bumped me to Business because Economy was full or sometimes just "almost full". They simply wanted to provide a good service to a colleague, hoping they will get it back when they needed it, and they sure did. Flew many times in cockipt on other airlines as well, kinda simple courtesy to a colleague.

JAT was one of the cool airlines back in the 70s and 80s and I really can't recall we ever left a "foreign" non-rev from another company. If the flight was really full we sat them in the cockpit.

I also miss that feeling of "boarding whatever happens", at JAT. There was no way a colleague would be left behind, so it was either cockipt, jumpseat or (a couple of times) - lavatory (takeoff and landing, not the whole flight). I know, I know... but that's the way it was.

However, I am happy to have flown on some great and truly legendary airplanes such as the Caravelle, B727-100, Trident, BAC 1-11, TriStar, DC-10, 747 classic and others. Each was a different and special experience and it sounds odd you can meet someone today who never flew on those birds.
CSud,D9,MD8x,D10,Trid,BAC1,A30,31,319,320,321,33,346,B71,72,73,74,75,76,77,L10,S20,A42,A72,T13,T15,F50,F70,F100,B146

kaitak

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:54 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 24):
jumpseating in the cockpit as a regular airline employee and even as a passenger
food in coach

Oh yes; that's certainly my favourite memory. Did over 70 jump seats in various different types; you never got tired of that.

Got to say, I also miss my namessake ... dear old Kai Tak Airport, Hong Kong; the greatest of them all.

flyjoe

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:01 am

I really miss being able to just head out to the airport, just for a day of terminal and concourse walking. I loved going from gate to gate, concourse to concourse, or going up to every airline's ticket counter collecting timetables and luggage stickers. It was well worth the $4 of $5 for several hours of parking. I got more money's worth than a day at a museum.

About a year ago I got a LH timetable and was so excited, feeling nostalgic.

I miss the days of walking out on the tarmac to board a mainline jet on the airstars. Boarding an RJ just isn't the same.

jeffrey1970

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 am

There are some things I miss like ticket jackets. I used to collect them. However, I think we often look at things in the past through rose colored glasses. I remember when airlines offered free meals on many flights. People used to complain all the time that the food was so bad they could not understand why airlines even bothered to serve food. I remember when I was a kid we used to fly from IAD to PHX a lot on American Airlines 707's. There was no IFE from what I can remember. I am very happy to take today's IFE over nothing on a 4 or 5 hour flight. Plus, I am grateful for the trailer trash that fly today because they are far nicer then the snobs.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

tymnbalewne

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:14 am

I miss the days when overhead bins were just hat-racks and people only put hats and coats up there, vs. the Samsonites full of bricks that are stowed there today.
C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

7673mech

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:18 am

I know someone will say F/As in mini skirts and hot pants. I'm glad that's gone and I'm glad F/As are (although slowly) starting to get the respect they deserve.

I will be lazy and say:  checkmark 

cpd

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:20 am

That's not just for planes, but for long distance trains too. The trains I use everyday, back in the old days, everyone would be wearing their best clothes (suit and tie). It was a much more refined period. And no mobile phones to wake you up.

Out of the old days for planes, I'd say the full service, proper cutlery, Concorde, visits to the flight-deck - and not being treated as a terrorist by over-zealous security people rigidly following bureaucratic check-list security procedures. (my thoughts anyway).

And the final one - legendary old Kai-tak and the famous (or even infamous) IGS13 approach.  Smile