vtmaa

Questions On Stopover Options In Helsinki

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Hello all
I am planning to travel JFK-DEL on AY (Coach) in June and am looking at the 17:40 departure from JFK, arriving @ 8:xx AM. This flight gives me a 10 hr transit in HEL and I was planning to head to the city for the day. My onward flight from HEL is at 18:40.
I would like to ask for your suggestions on

1. Are there showers I can use (maybe for a fee) on arrival, before heading to Helsinki?
2. Are there storage lockers to keep my carry on roller for the day?
3. How long before the onward flight should I arrive back at the airport - considering security lines, passport control times etc.

Thank you all for your help

VTMAA

andaman

RE: Questions On Stopover Options In Helsinki

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi,

perhaps you know it already but you don't necessarily need such a long transit at HEL, Finnair have added flights to JFK for the summer season, flying 11x weekly. The new later departure from JFK cuts the transit time to half and on the DEL-JFK the quickest transit at HEL takes only 40min. But of course June is a good time to visit Helsinki.

Your questions:

1. Yes, perhaps the most easy option is the Scandic Gateway Hotel inside the terminal (landside), some friends have taken there a shower for fee, maybe someone can confirm they still have this service? Later this year the non-Schengen terminal will get a spa, but unfortunately not open in summer yet.

Scandic Gateway:

2. Yes there are storage lockers.
Services at HEL: http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/home?

3. Usually the security and passport control goes quickly and smoothly at HEL, I would arrive the airport something like 1h before, with the boarding pass.

It takes around 45min from the airport to the city, an other option is to visit the Jumbo shopping mall & Flamingo Spa close to the airport:

In English:
http://www.jumbo.fi/find_your_way_to_jumbo
http://www.flamingospa.fi/en/p2-in_english.html
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

andaman

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

vtmaa

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks Andaman for your suggestions. I will try out the Scandic.

I actually booked this flight on purpose so as to have a 10 hr stopover. but if we have a long delay or it rains in Helsinki on that day, i will end up looking like a fool!! but you got to take your chance Smile

BTW: what are some must see's in Helsinki during my stopover. I reckon i have about 6 hours after taking travel, customs and immi etc into account.

sandrozrh

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Quoting VTMAA (Reply 3):
what are some must see's in Helsinki during my stopover

The girls!

Sorry, couldn't help it Big grin