brons2

Is There A Limit To Nonflight Loyalty Miles?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:55 am

Hello,

Just curious I am an AAdvantage member and have the AA credit card. I do my best to earn miles any way that I can eg, restaurant, hotels, rental cards, etc. I do pretty well with this and generally earn enough miles for a free trip to Europe every year.

Well last year due to health issues and this year due to other vacation plans, I'm not taking a Euro vacation. So I thought I might book a domestic award trip, but then for the trips to PDX and to ONT that I wanted to take, the available fares were so cheap that I just paid for them rather than to burn miles.

So now my AA miles balance is in the high 5 figure range and I'm wondering if there is a limit to the number of miles that I can earn that don't involve flight. I don't think I've ever actually flown more than 25,000 miles in a year as I generally take only a handful of flights a year.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

MAH4546

RE: Is There A Limit To Nonflight Loyalty Miles?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:06 am

I believe there is a limit to how many non-flight miles you can earn in one year, but not a limit to how many miles you can earn total.
a.

Boston92

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:13 am

There may be a limit with the credit card, but other than that, there shouldn't be any limits.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

aznmadsci

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 am

Didn't AA place that limit because a guy basically earned 1million miles just from purchasing and eating nothing but a particular food brand because they were offering 1K vouchers for every 5 UPCs turned in and then cashed in 2 F tickets without having stepped onto an airplane?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

brons2

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 am

A million miles would get you more than 2 F trips, check out AA's award travel booker.

Thanks for the info MAH4546.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

jetstar

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:33 am

Quoting Brons2 (Thread starter):
So now my AA miles balance is in the high 5 figure range and I'm wondering if there is a limit to the number of miles that I can earn that don't involve flight. I don't think I've ever actually flown more than 25,000 miles in a year as I generally take only a handful of flights a year.

As per AA.com

The maximum number of American Airlines AAdvantage® miles you can earn from purchases using the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® and the Citi Select® / AAdvantage® American Express® card is 100,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year and 150,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year with CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® MasterCard® . AAdvantage® bonus miles are excluded from this mileage cap. AAdvantage Executive Platinum® , AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members are excluded from these limits. AAdvantage® miles are only earned on eligible purchases.

JetStar