hestaman

Airline Procedure When Passenger Has Lost Their ID

Sat May 30, 2009 4:25 am

In 2006 my wife and I were interviewing for a position close to TYS. The interview went well, and all was good until we got to the airport and could not find my wife's wallet and/or ID/Driver's License. We thought we were totally hosed, but the woman at the counter (Continental Express) quickly informed us it wouldn't be a problem but we'd have to go through extra screening at TSA. She printed her a boarding pass with the dreaded 'SSSSSSS'. So - I took all of our carry-on stuff, and she went through by herself. The whole ordeal cost us an extra 5 minutes of time if you consider both the extra TSA screening as well as a brief explanation to the counter agent.

Today - a friend of mine posted on facebook that he lost his DL while traveling in PDX. He said that a friend overnighted his passport so he could travel tomorrow. I relayed my story back to him - but then got to wondering if this is common procedure or not.

So my question - what are the official rules and/or common practices for airlines if a traveler comes to the counter w/o propper ID and a sob story about losing it? Look forward to reading your responses!

durangomac

RE: Airline Procedure When Passenger Has Lost Thei

Sat May 30, 2009 5:02 am

ID is required to fly internationally for airlines to check you in, ID is not required to check in for domestic travel. ID is required to clear security with out extra screening. Selectee status is also now handled by TSA directly.

hestaman

Sat May 30, 2009 5:46 am

Quoting DurangoMac (Reply 1):
ID is required to fly internationally for airlines to check you in, ID is not required to check in for domestic travel. ID is required to clear security with out extra screening. Selectee status is also now handled by TSA directly.

So... doees my story which occurred 3 years ago apply to my friend's issue in 2009?

phljjs

Sat May 30, 2009 5:53 am

Quoting Hestaman (Reply 2):
So... doees my story which occurred 3 years ago apply to my friend's issue in 2009?

Some things have changed since 2006. There is no more SSSS. If you don't have ID, you must prove your identity to TSA before you are allowed through the checkpoint. This is done by giving them info such as your name, address, phone number, etc and they call an operations center and attempt to verify your identity with the info you provided as well as other personal info that comes up in the system. If you can't answer their questions to their satisfaction, you are denied entry and don't fly.

SA7700

Sat May 30, 2009 10:17 am

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 3):
Some things have changed since 2006. There is no more SSSS

Was it a very recent change? I got SSSS on an AS flight LAX-SEA in November 2008.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

phljjs

Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 4):
Was it a very recent change? I got SSSS on an AS flight LAX-SEA in November 2008.

Yes, I believe in March of this year.

thegman

Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 am

Some things have changed since 2006. There is no more SSSS. If you don't have ID, you must prove your identity to TSA before you are allowed through the checkpoint. This is done by giving them info such as your name, address, phone number, etc and they call an operations center and attempt to verify your identity with the info you provided as well as other personal info that comes up in the system. If you can't answer their questions to their satisfaction, you are denied entry and don't fly.

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 5):
Yes, I believe in March of this year.

SSSS is still around, at least for US. My mom almost had it when we were traveling in early May.

hamad

Sat May 30, 2009 2:29 pm

There is no more SSSS

is thier an official reference on the internet that i can look at ?

that would be awesome if they removed it. pointless ....

what iknow for sure is that they removed it from one way tickets.... other than that, not sure
PHX - i miss spotting

Cubsrule

Sat May 30, 2009 7:22 pm

Quoting HAMAD (Reply 7):
what iknow for sure is that they removed it from one way tickets.... other than that, not sure

Yes, that took place in late 2006, I think. AFAIK, there are no longer any automatic ticketing-based triggers for SSSS (o/w tickets, cash payment, or late purchase). It used to be a real drag to get rebooked and then get the SSSS.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more