vermeer

Risky Business In FCO?

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Dear all,
Before proceeding to booking I would like your opinion on a "short" transfer:

I have the option of arriving in Rome Fiumicino from Brindisi at 12.25 (AP4409) and leaving from FCO for Newark at 14.00 (CO - C Class and no luggage). What are the odds of making it?

The other choice is leaving Brindisi at 07:00 a.m. and arrive at FCO at 08:10 (AP4407). Six hours of wait at the airport. ( which would be fine if this was not my holiday...)

Any recommendations, please?
Thank you!

PlymSpotter

RE: Risky Business In FCO?

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 pm

I'd go for the shorter connection if it's all booked on one ticket. I've arrived half an hour late from JFK into FCO on an 80 minute connection and still made my next flight - just, but made it nevertheless. You have over an hour and a half, it should be no problem.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

vermeer

Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:45 am

HI PlymSpotter,
No, it is not on the same ticket unfortunately. That is why I am concerned about a missing connection. Neither CO nor AZ would have responsibility for it.
With the new CAI AZ/AP it seems that cancellations have become more frequent yet as I do not longer live in Italy I have no way of seizing the situation.

PlymSpotter

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 am

Ah, without being on the same ticket it becomes a bit more risky. Maybe take the earlier flight and spend a little longer enjoying the C lounge at FCO - at least that way you'll also have peace of mind in the run up to your trip.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

toptravel

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Remember you'll have to change terminals to the remote one that handles flights to the US, think I rather have the time in FCO rather than taking chance on missing my flight to the US and having to spend the next 24 hrs of my holiday time at FCO.

vermeer

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Toptravel,
Albeit reluctantly I think that the wise thing to do is to take the very early flight out of Brindisi.
I was unaware of a T5 at FCO!
From the (poor) maps it seems that you get into Terminal C and then touy proceed to an aera handling gates 20/33. Co seems to leave regularly from gates 23 and 24.
Do you have any idea of which lounge would be accessible there? in FCO there are the 6 AZ lounges and there is the AF one ( but in terminal B - which I thought it is managed by ADR like i mosaici).
Thanks in advance for any additional info you could provide me with!

Pe@rson

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:24 pm

I haven't been to FCO for a couple years, but I recall a restaurant in one of the terminals that had a pretty decent view of some of the movements. It wouldn't be a bad place to have a cappuccino, a read and a rest.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."