FWAERJ
Topic Author

AA Trans-Atlantic Y And CDG Questions

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:52 am

I just booked AA FWA-DFW-CDG, returning CDG-ORD-FWA, departing in August. However, I have some questions:

-Both CDG flights are operated on B763ERs. Although I know that there's no AVOD or seatback IFE in Y (which is fine for us iPod users), are the Y seats comfortable enough for sleeping? Also, does AA offer pillows and blankets in Y on trans-Atlantic flights? (I know that they don't on their domestic MD-80s.)
-I haven't had AA's food (not counting pretzels and soft drinks) in over a decade. Is AA's normal food any good on their trans-Atlantic flights, or should I request a special meal?
-Is the RER station within decent walking distance from CDG2A, or should I take the shuttle bus?
-All I saw on the Aeroports de Paris website for CDG2A (the terminal AA uses at CDG) was some newsstands, a couple of small shops, a few bars, and a McDonald's(!). Does CDG2A offer any decent dining or shopping?
-Does the currency exchange at CDG offer competitive dollar-to-euro exchange rates, or could I do better in the city?

I could use some advice before I take off. Thanks!
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

PI4EVER

RE: AA Trans-Atlantic Y And CDG Questions

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 am

FWAERJ:
I flew AA via MIA to CDG two years ago. The 763 is a reasonably comfortable airplane...seat pitch is about the same as everyone else. Select a seat row away from the movie screen for your flight over....it is on the entire flight and sitting close is bothersome for sleep. A pillow and blanket will be in your seat, and headsets are distributed as well.
Dinner service was choice of beef or chicken. Again, an OK meal. No free alcohol but other beverages are free. Bagel/fruit and coffee/juice before landing. On return you'll get a lunch service and a pizza snack before landing. I felt the F/A's kind of disappeared for long periods of time, and then rushed the final meal service. Maybe just my flights. Overall, AA service was fine. I had a great fare, flights were on-time and baggage arrived promptly at both ends. I somehow expect (or want) AA to be something more, but won't discourage you before you fly to your own expectations.
I only noticed food outlets once we cleared security coming back from CDG. Plenty of choices for sandwiches, pastries and beverages. I remember very good croissants and robust french coffee in a cafe near our gate.
I took the Air France bus into Paris and found it more convenient than the RER. I did use the RER back to CDG and it was crowded during rush hour periods as it is also a major commuter line to stations prior to CDG. Trains arrive/leave from the Gare du Nord, but the Air France bus has stops in central Paris that were more convenient to our hotel. The Metro (subway) is very easy to use and be sure to purchase a multi-day pass for unlimited travel. The passes include train service to Versailles and the RER to CDG and station maps are easy to understand. I found Parisian's were quick to offer help and were very nice.
Purchase a Paris book (I recommend Frommer's guide) so you can understand how the city is laid out, and learn key French words for food. You can't order a salat with your baguette if you don't know what you're ordering. Menu's are readily available in English, but restaurant sign boards are in French naturally so you don't always know what the "blue plate" special is.
A beautiful city you'll remember forever. The best views of the city are from the Eiffel Tower of course, the Arc de Triomphe and Grand Place. My favorite? Top of the Arc at night!
I hope you have a great trip.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.