eastern023

Lay Over At CDG In Transit To FRA Questions

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:30 am

Flying IAD-CDG-FRA on AF, lay over at CDG 8 hrs. We want to leave the terminal and go see Paris for the day. Can we leave the airport (I am a U.S. Citizen so I don't need a visa)? Can we check the bags all the way to FRA at IAD and dont worry about carrying them around?

Thanks, I'm a CDG virgin.

R
AA will Rise Again!

antonovman

RE: Lay Over At CDG In Transit To FRA Questions

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:34 am

Quoting Eastern023 (Thread starter):
I am a U.S. Citizen so I don't need a visa)

I thought US citizens did need a vis for France. I know they used to, Maybe things have changed

runway23

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 am

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 1):
I thought US citizens did need a vis for France. I know they used to, Maybe things have changed

No visa required at all for any Schengen country.

Quoting Eastern023 (Thread starter):
Can we leave the airport (I am a U.S. Citizen so I don't need a visa)? Can we check the bags all the way to FRA at IAD and dont worry about carrying them around?

Yes to both. For the first you will pass immigration at CDG regardless. So you might as well do it early and enjoy your long layover in Paris. Remember to give yourself plenty of time on the RER as delays are frequent.

planeguy727

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 am

I will be doing the same on Monday - you should not have any trouble checking the bag through.

In addition to the RER you can use the Air France bus (20 euro return) to get downtown and back.

And as others have noted, no visa is required.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

eastern023

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 am

I am a little confused. I have flown IAD-FRA-GVA in the past and I had to do customs and immigration at GVA not FRA. Since CDG is technically a "lay over" (but we are leaving the airport) do we have to do customs in both CDG and FRA? Our bags are supposed to be checked all the way to FRA so will be on AF's custody all the way to FRA.

This Schengen thing is a bit confusing. Thanks all!

R
AA will Rise Again!

Charles79

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 am

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 4):
I am a little confused. I have flown IAD-FRA-GVA in the past and I had to do customs and immigration at GVA not FRA. Since CDG is technically a "lay over" (but we are leaving the airport) do we have to do customs in both CDG and FRA? Our bags are supposed to be checked all the way to FRA so will be on AF's custody all the way to FRA.

The reason you did it in GVA is because Switzerland became part of the Schengen agreement just recently (Dec 08) thus you had to clear both customs and immigration at GVA then again at FRA. The same as if you were flying to PPT via LAX from CDG for instance...you clear customs and immigration at LAX then again at PPT.

At CDG, though, you won't have that problem because not only are both France and Germany Schengen countries but also they are EU members. At CDG you will have to go through passport control (don't worry, it's nothing like the US, the lines are usually short and fast!) but since you will have your bags checked through to FRA at IAD you only have to clear your bags through customs in Germany, your final destination.

P.S. I just checked this info with my partner, he works for AF at IAD and should know as he deals with these kind of questions all the time! Have fun in Germany!