Fuzzman777
Topic Author

A Real Question About Travel Preferences

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am

I have found a trend on youtube concerning the videos taken during takeoff/landing. It seems that the premium class pax is usually sitting on the right side of the plane(with camera looking into the engine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KtN8k9q-2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLwoumQhHc&feature=related

All the videos shot from economy are normally on the left side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7Qe41KbiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey98KbAnuGM&feature=related

Id like to ask this question- How much thought does the average enthusiast put into the seat assignment when booking a flight?
For me, it depends on the airport Im flying into, or whatever side I think will give me the best views of other planes(at gate, or moving)
Whatever airline I fly into LAX Im always on the right side so I can see the city, California Speedway, and even ONT.
Heres a short list of what side I would sit on arriving at these airports(normal runway ops):
SFO-left
DEN-right
SAN-right
PHX-left
OMA-right
ORD-right
ATL-right
LHR-right
LGA-right
DCA-left
MCO-left

Elite

RE: A Real Question About Travel Preferences

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:20 pm

I don't think it matters what side you are on, just as long as the seat you are in has an "advantage" compared to other seats.

CXB77L

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:35 pm

PER-HKG on CX is the route I fly most often, and I'd prefer to fly on the left. The sun will rise about an hour out of HKG, and since the sun rises from the east, I sit on the left to avoid having the sun straight in my eyes, so I can still comfortably look out the window.

On the HKG-YVR route I will fly at the end of the year, I'm not even sure I'll see the sun at all during the flight, with an 0200 departure and 2045 - 1 arrival. Having said that, I'll probably sit on the left again, because in the northern winter, the sun isn't directly overhead, but rather somewhat over to the south, which the right side of the plane will be facing if the sun does indeed rise during the flight.

I like to keep my window shades open to look outside and not be affected by having the sun directly in my eyes.
Boeing 777 fanboy

flymia

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:11 pm

I will sit on either side and I have some videos on you tube and they are from both sides. Actually all my videos are from economy class and it is 3 to the left four to the right. The only time I really care what side of the plane I sit on is when I fly into DCA. I like the left side in case we fly the runway 19 River Visual approach what I view of DC! I have a video of it flying that approach on MSN-DCA on NW CRJ.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

airtrainer

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 2):
I sit on the left to avoid having the sun straight in my eyes, so I can still comfortably look out the window.

Same here, I try to avoid the sun when it's possible...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

PI4EVER

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Sun in the eyes...or window. To avoid, I sit right on westbound and left on eastbound. I never think of seats related to city/airport traveling to. I love the Potomac river approach around "the bend in Georgetown" at DCA, but you never know which runway/approach is operational for your flight.
I definitely do the left and right bit for transatlantic, but then on long-haul you're either at night most of the way, or the F/A's ask you to lower the shades so its mostly a toss up.....
Interesting to see how others post. I might learn something cool to try next flight.
watch what you want. you may get it.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:30 am

if in economy I always try for an aisle seat as I am one of those restless annoying people who drink lots of water to keep hydrated and therefore make lots of toilet visits in the night - if I have to be down the back I would rather that people stepped over me as I am usually awake , than for me to have to climb over people and possibly disturb them .

Up the front it depends on the airline - if on NZ all their J beds are on an aisle so I prefer one that is also a window , if on a carrier where only some of the J seats are aisle then I prefer aisle . Most of my flights are overnight, overwater longhauls - so the window is usually only of interest for arrival/departure .

CrimsonNL

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:16 pm

I usually sit on the right when flying to the west, (facing north) and on the left when flying east (facing north again) to avoid staring into the sun, it can get annoing after 8 hours.

[Edited 2009-07-22 05:33:00]
Always comparing your flown types list with mine