hamad

International To Domestic Connection At IAD

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:27 pm

I leave in less than 24 hours, i leave dubai on United Business class flight 977. now when we land into dulles (IAD) the flight switches from international to domestic, meaning that we have to disembark, clear customs and re-check our luggage and reboard, not necessarily the same plane, but a smaller plane.

Dulles has always been a final destination for me, and this is the first time ever that i land into dulles as a transit passenger to use the immigration at terminal C. my question is would landing at 6:37 AM and having a departure to chicago at 8:00 am give me a sufficient time to clear customs, claim and recheck my bag, then board?
PHX - i miss spotting

kgaiflyer

RE: International To Domestic Connection At IAD

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:19 am

Quoting HAMAD (Thread starter):
I leave in less than 24 hours, i leave dubai on United Business class flight 977. now when we land into dulles (IAD) the flight switches from international to domestic, meaning that we have to disembark, clear customs and re-check our luggage and reboard, not necessarily the same plane, but a smaller plane.

Dulles has always been a final destination for me, and this is the first time ever that i land into dulles as a transit passenger to use the immigration at terminal C. my question is would landing at 6:37 AM and having a departure to chicago at 8:00 am give me a sufficient time to clear customs, claim and recheck my bag, then board?

People do it every day of the week. There is a small FIS / Customs station built into concourse C so it will not be necessary for you to visit the International Building.

As for your IAD-ORD flight, there are nine a day (after UA977 at 8am there is UA141 at 8:44). That's the least of your worries since United will re-ticket you automatically if you misconnect.

yes 

LAXintl

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:14 am

Quoting KGAIflyer (Reply 1):
People do it every day of the week. There is a small FIS / Customs station built into concourse C so it will not be necessary for you to visit the International Building.

I dont believe the Terminal-C FIS is used for the AM flights including DXB, and everyone must clear at the main terminal.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SA7700

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
I dont believe the Terminal-C FIS is used for the AM flights including DXB, and everyone must clear at the main terminal.

I believe they do. SA gets in at 06h00. The last 2x times I flew into IAD with SA, transferring pax were separated from O&D pax. Only JNB-IAD O&D pax go through the main terminal FIS now.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 3):
I believe they do. SA gets in at 06h00. The last 2x times I flew into IAD with SA, transferring pax were separated from O&D pax. Only JNB-IAD O&D pax go through the main terminal FIS now.

This is true.

EZE and GRU *also* arrive in the wee hours of the morning, and their flight numbers do continue on to BOS and LGA on smaller planes -- not really time to run back and forth to/from the International Building.