Stretch 8
Topic Author

From LGW To LHR On NatExpress Coach

Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Here is the scenario: Arriving late in the evening (23:10) on a Friday flight into LGW. Need to get to my hotel at LHR and rest up for flight back to the States on Saturday morning.

The schedule for the National Express coach has the last bus departing LGW North at 12 midnight. It's 19.50 GBP. A private car with driver is around 70 GBP. A no-brainer, maybe, but I need to know if 50 minutes at that time of the night is enough time to get from the plane, through baggage claim, HM customs,etc. to make it to the coach.

Thoughts are appreciated!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

02hilliert

RE: From LGW To LHR On NatExpress Coach

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:16 pm

That depends where you are arriving from and who you are flying with.

If you are arriving from within the UK, Ireland or the Channel Islands, there is a good chance you'll make it. Arriving from anywhere else and you might have problems.

Why not stay at an LGW hotel and get the National Express in the morning?
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

readytotaxi

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:51 pm

More chance of traffic delays on M25 in the morning.
If your flight arrives at South Terminal and you have to get to the North more chance of delay, the airport this planning to replace the tram link with a shuttle bus while they update tram service. Be aware.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

PlymSpotter

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Depending on your finances, I'd say book it anyway, knowing you might lose it. If that does happen, take the next train/bus into London and then a coach from Victoria out to LHR. Sure, it would take a lot longer, but it is at least a back-up should you miss the bus you want.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Qantasistheway

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm

In case you don't make it:

Take the NORMAL (non Gatwick Express) train into the city, it costs roughly 6 pounds if i remember correctly. After arriving in Victoria take the Circle Line (Yellow Line) to Paddington and then you either overnight in the Paddington area and catch the Heathrow Connect (for 6 pounds) the next day or the Heathrow Express for like 15 pounds. Or if you manage to get to Heathrow at the late hour you can always sleep at a hotel there.

Here are the Heathrow Express and Connect Websites:

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/index.asp?SID=%7B5D87D45E-C103-4225-8CBC-BD7A2B4DC4A0%7D

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/index.asp?SID=%7BF3D2C617-08AC-47D9-9BE6-E8EFB0DD2446%7D

PlymSpotter

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 4):
Take the NORMAL (non Gatwick Express) train into the city, it costs roughly 6 pounds if i remember correctly.

It's a little bit more than that I'm afraid:

Without any Railcards it's £10.90 for a single to Victoria on a regular service, or £23 on the Gatwick Express, then £16.50 for the Heathrow Express.

I seem to recall National Express is cheaper, and there are dozens of Victoria-LHR busses, which would also save you having to transfer over to Paddington.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Qantasistheway

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):

Without any Railcards it's £10.90 for a single to Victoria on a regular service, or £23 on the Gatwick Express, then £16.50 for the Heathrow Express.

Really? I swear when I took it last it was only six or seven pounds.
But 10.90 is still cheaper than the Gatiwck Express Price. And he doesn't have to take the LHR Express, the Connect takes roughly 20 mins more and costs only 6.90. But if ther are busses from Victoria to Heathrow then that is a better option.

Hopefully you make the bus though! The regular train to Victoria Station runs until about 1.30 am or so. You can check on www.nationalexpress.co.uk.

Cheers

Qantasistheway

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):

But 10.90 is still cheaper than the Gatiwck Express Price. And he doesn't have to take the LHR Express, the Connect takes roughly 20 mins more and costs only 6.90. But if ther are busses from Victoria to Heathrow then that is a better option.

Hopefully you make the bus though! The regular train to Victoria Station runs until about 1.30 am or so. You can check on www.nationalexpress.co.uk.

Cheers

BCAL

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 7):

Fares were increased effective January 2009.

There are three train operating companies on the Gatwick Airport to London line:

The Gatwick Express is the fastest but the single fare valid all day is GBP 16.90.

Southern also operate from the airport to London Victoria and fares vary from GBP 16.90 at peak periods (i.e. normally any train arriving in London before 10.00am) to GBP 10.90 off peak.

First Capital Connect is the cheapest (slowest and have the most uncomfortable trains) but they only operate to the City (London Bridge, City Thameslink, Farringdon) and the single fare is GBP 8.90.

Quoting Stretch 8 (Thread starter):
The schedule for the National Express coach has the last bus departing LGW North at 12 midnight

There are services at 01:50, 03:50 and 04:50 from Gatwick South to LHR after which services become more frequent.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."