relaxitsfedex7

NYC Trip Questions Tips

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Hello I'm planning to go to New York next month and I want to try to save some money on booking a hotel room. It seems to me that rates in Newark new jersey are the cheapest but I'll be flying into JFK. So my question is how do you get to Newark from JFK? I don't want a taxi cab to expensive. Is there a train that goes from new york city in to new jersey? any one who has been or live in new york please share your thoughts.

wilco737

RE: NYC Trip Questions Tips

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Quoting Relaxitsfedex7 (Thread starter):
So my question is how do you get to Newark from JFK?

There is a bus from JFK to Grand Central. And then you can take a bus from there to New Jersey.
Train? I don't know, I always used the bus. Then you see a bit from the city as well Big grin

wilco737

relaxitsfedex7

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 1):

thanks, Do you remember the bus number? if you don't thats ok.

wilco737

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Quoting Relaxitsfedex7 (Reply 2):
Do you remember the bus number? if you don't thats ok.

The bus from JFK to Grand Central is the JFK Airport shuttle. The bus to New Jersey? no clue... sorry

wilco737

flymia

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Quoting Relaxitsfedex7 (Thread starter):
Newark new jersey

Rates in Newark are lower for good reasons. Where is Newark is this hotel? Newark can be a dangerous area. Are these hotels close to EWR?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

relaxitsfedex7

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):

yes

planeguy727

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:57 pm

From JFK take the Airtrain to the MTA subway (A train toward Manhattan). Take A train to 34th Street, Penn Station - transfer to NJ Transit train to Newark (or Newark Airport - two different stops).

Airtrain + Subway = $7.25
NJ Transit = $15 (if going to airport - less to Newark)

There are decent hotel prices to be had in NYC - where do you want to be? What budget?
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

relaxitsfedex7

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the information I really needed that  Smile .

Quoting Planeguy727 (Reply 6):
There are decent hotel prices to be had in NYC - where do you want to be? What budget?

Anywhere from $70-$99 dollars. Either close to JFK or in queens, brooklyn,or bronx.

planeguy727

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Doing a quick search on hotels.com I found a few hotels near JFK for under $100

Because Brooklyn & the Bronx don't have NYC mailing addresses (Bronx, NY or Brooklyn, NY) try searching those cities. Results come up in your price range. Also hotels like the Ramada in Long Island City will come up.

One of the tricks to NYC hotels outside of Manhattan is to know what terms will help you narrow your search.

The hotel rates may be lower in Jersey, but you will pay the difference in ground transit getting into and out of the city (assuming NYC is your destination).

If you are willing to do hostels, there is a decent one uptown on Amsterdam avenue a few blocks from Columbia University. There are some smaller hotels in that area as well that have reasonable rates, are safe, and easy access to public transit.

As a NYC resident do let me know if I can offer further assistance.

PG727
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

signol

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:53 am

Someone in a trip report on here once stayed in a hotel right on the Hudson on the New Jersey side, with fantastic views across to Manhatten and right by a PATH subway station. I think it was the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. A quick search shows rooms for $300, but there may be other, cheaper hotels in the area.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

andygarrett

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Having been to NYC numerous times, I suggest you stay in the city if that is your destination. Otherwise, you’ll end up wasting a lot of time getting in and out to NJ. Also, you need to be very careful as previous posters have mentioned Newark isn’t the safest place to stay. The JFK Airtrain to Jamaica station for an E train, Long Island Transit and a couple of others or the other Airtrain direction takes you to an A train. Both A and E will get you to Penn station, 42nd street and Times Square. Very easy and about $7. Hope this helps.

danvs

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm

In case you're still interested in staying near EWR:

Newark Liberty Airport Express:
The ride from Newark costs $12.50 round-trip, or $14 one way (with discounts for kids, the disabled, and seniors). The busses run from about 4am to 1am between:

* Newark Liberty Airport (terminals A, B, and C)
* Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street between 8th Ave and 9th Ave)
* Bryant Park (NW corner of 42nd and 5th Ave)
* Grand Central (120 East 41st between Park and Lex).

They run every 15 minutes, and the trip is 45 minutes to an hour. Tickets can be purchased online, but not from the bus drivers. Call (877) 863-9275 for the latest information. (last updated 2007-07).

Source: http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/NWK.htm

So I guess you can take a bus JFK-Grand Central and another one Grand Central-EWR. Then you walk to your hotel, since it's close to EWR.

71Zulu

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Can also stay in Secaucus, NJ. There are several nice mid priced Hotels there and there is a mall nearby with food and shops. I have stayed at the Amerisuites (now called Hyatt Place) and it was nice, with free breakfast and internet, and the NJ Transit bus stops directly in front of the hotel and will bring you to Port Authority bus station in Manhattan for less than $2. The heck with Newark if you are flying into JFK, Secaucus is a short ride directly across the Hudson through the Lincoln Tunnel.
Clickable links only please!

relaxitsfedex7

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:29 pm

man sounds complicated i'll just book a hotel in the city.

thanks to all of you who posted information.