September11
Topic Author

Do You Rent Luggage Cart At Airport?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:13 pm

I see a lot of people rent luggage carts at airports. I think they are popular. When I was a kid, I wandered around inside airport looking for unused carts and return them to cart location for 25-cent refund....
Airliners.net of the Future

AA757MIA

RE: Do You Rent Luggage Cart At Airport?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:10 pm

I almost never need one, but when I do (travelingI with family, etc) I usually try to find unused ones in the parking lot so I dont have to pay the ridiculous fee  Smile

ohthedrama747

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:12 pm

I love how random this topic is!

In the UK (or at least the airports I've been to in the UK) have the carts for free so they are very popular. My suitcase has wheels and a handle so I don't bother with them personally!

HT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Most (almost all ?) airports in Europe I have been to (and where I was looking out for it) had no charge for those baggage carts; some run them on a deposit-system like you find in many supermarkets for their shopping carts.

In the U.S. things often are different:
Unless you are at some smaller airport, many charge for using the baggage cart, but most often, when you arrive internationally, they are supplied for free.

Quoting September11 (Thread starter):
Do You Rent Luggage Cart At Airport?

No, I only use them (if needed) as long as their use is free of charge (deposit is okay with me).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

YXD172

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 am

It depends where I am. I never rent from YYZ because of the $5 fee (I think you get ~$1 back), and usually I travel light enough to avoid them. However, I have used them on international trips, because most European airports seem to either use a deposit system or have free carts.
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

TK787

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 am

Quoting HT (Reply 3):
some run them on a deposit-system

That is how they do it at IST. I travel there about 2-3 times a year and every-time I leave I make sure I have some change left in my pocket for the next trip. After going through customs I go get one for 1 or 2 Turkish Lira ( about a dollar). I am usually too tired to return them back to get my money back.

planeguy727

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 am

What I love are the people that pay to rent them and then only put a backpack or other smaller bag on it... Makes me laugh every time.

And the people tend to be younger and appear fit.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

MSPNWA

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 am

Quoting September11 (Thread starter):
I see a lot of people rent luggage carts at airports. I think they are popular. When I was a kid, I wandered around inside airport looking for unused carts and return them to cart location for 25-cent refund....

Haha!! Once I saw your thread title, the memories of doing the same thing popped into mind! Those days are the only times I've ever used a cart. Ah, the days of roaming the concourses when going to pick-up/drop-off family or friends. Too bad today's youth don't have the same opportunity that I did. It was fun to find abandoned carts and pocket the quarter!

goldorak

Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:44 am

The USA is the only country I've been where you have to pay for a luggage cart. It's a shame and especially when you see the price. I was at SEA recently and now it's $4...
no comment  Angry  banghead 

hamad

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:32 am

Quoting HT (Reply 3):
Unless you are at some smaller airport, many charge for using the baggage cart, but most often, when you arrive internationally, they are supplied for free.

checkmark 

i totally agree, i almost never used one when i travelled domestic, however when i travel international in and out of the USA, i usually never travel light, so i have to rent one. Usually they are provided for free when you have an international arrival, but if you are departing it is never free whether international or domestic
PHX - i miss spotting

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:53 am

All of my baggage has wheels, so there's really no use for a luggage cart. I did run around collecting carts from baggage claim and parking garage when I was young to earn the refund though.

thegman

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 3):

This is during international arrival because you must collect all belongings, pass through customs, and then recheck the items. Often times airlines have rechecking agents posted just at the exit of customs so not to clog up the lines at the main ticket counters.

OHLHD

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:57 pm

No i always carry my backpack on my back or I have my trolley.  Smile

The only time I use one is when I have a long transit time and I cannot check in immediately.

sw733

Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Only used one one, and it wasn't even really my choice. I was gong to the airport in XMN (Xiamen, China) early on a Saturday morning and the taxi driver grabbed a cart and started loading our (me and 2 coworkers) luggage on it. Didn't cost us anything, which was nice!

Bongodog1964

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Where are the US airports that provide free carts for international arrivals, because the ones that I've used have all charged. And I note that it has now been bumped up to $4.
Compared to free trolleys in Europe it seems a bit of a liberty to demand money from people who have little alternative.

limpingduck

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:31 pm

never- why waste that money?

deltairlines

Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 am

I've only used it when I've had a ton of luggage.

There have been times though that I've (barely) managed to navigate from curb to First Class check-in lines with 2 26" rollers and a set of golf clubs to be checked, plus my carry-on 22" rollaboard and my briefcase. Was interesting and a bit difficult, but I managed!

Bongodog1964

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:47 am

Additional moan coming up !

Where do they think that foreign visitors are going to get the 4 dollar bills necessary to rent a cart ?
Most of the foreign currency bureau, adjust your purchase to hand out as few small denomination notes as possible. Thus we have to remember to retain dollar bills from our previous trip.

goldorak

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 17):
Where do they think that foreign visitors are going to get the 4 dollar bills necessary to rent a cart ?
Most of the foreign currency bureau, adjust your purchase to hand out as few small denomination notes as possible. Thus we have to remember to retain dollar bills from our previous trip.

you don't rent a cart with bills but simply with your credit card

Bongodog1964

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 18):
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 17):

you don't rent a cart with bills but simply with your credit card

On a typical machine at a US airport with only a slot for dollar bills. quite how do you use a credit card ?

goldorak

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 19):
On a typical machine at a US airport with only a slot for dollar bills. quite how do you use a credit card ?

I used one only once at SEA (because I consider this as a racket...4$...) and there was just a slot for your CC (no slot for bills)

dl767captain

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:01 pm

It's strange, my family has not in almost 12 years since I can remember, maybe becuase i became old enough to help with the luggage or we just didn't bring as much.

Bongodog1964

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 20):
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 19):

I used one only once at SEA (because I consider this as a racket...4$...) and there was just a slot for your CC (no slot for bills)

In the past year I've suffered at MCO SFO & LAX all cash only

fxramper

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:30 pm

This is what I use luggage carts for at the airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hL6n...aynext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=55

Cheers.  drunk 

SGSPL

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:38 pm

No, I never rented a luggage cart. As I am traveling light or with just 1 suitecase with wheels!  veryhappy 
None