bps3458

Domestic Travel In Brazil

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 am

Hi all,

have just booked return business class trip on LAN from Brisbane to Sao Paulo in April next year. Will be attending the 15th Intermodal South America at the Transamerica Expo Center in Sao Paulo.

Am well travelled but have never been to South America before so am looking for some input from our South America experts in this forum:

1) Need to book domestic flights from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro. Which is the most reliable/safe domestic carrier in Brazil and will I be able to book on their website using an Australian credit card ?

2) Which airports are preferable for domestic travel. Noticed that both Sao Paulo and Rio have 2 airports.

3) After my second conference in Rio have approx. 4 free days before my return flight on LAN leaves from Sao Paulo and am looking for a place to relax and switch off before I need to head back to Oz. Anybody have an idea ? Wouldn't mind flying from Rio 2-3 hours.

Looking forward to hearing from you as this part of the world is unknown to me.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

debonair

RE: Domestic Travel In Brazil

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:40 am

Quoting BPS3458 (Thread starter):
am looking for a place to relax and switch off before I need to head back to Oz. Anybody have an idea ? Wouldn't mind flying from Rio 2-3 hours.

Well, I am not an SouthAmerica "expert", but...

Low-Cost-airline http://www.webjet.com.br is offering great deals between RIO - Galeão and Salvador. Now it is getting difficult... If you are looking for a great Ultra AllInclusive resort, check out the "old" Iberostar BAHIA Praia Do Forte (top rated on tripadvisor) or the "brand-new" Iberostar Praia Do Forte 5-star-deluxe resort. If you are looking for a a small B&B, you are should look out for one of the many Pousadas (guest-houses)- but I don't have any recommendations.

bps3458

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am

Quoting Debonair (Reply 1):
Ultra AllInclusive resort, check out the "old" Iberostar BAHIA Praia Do Forte (top rated on tripadvisor)

Excellent info. Am certainly more on the lookout for such an all inclusive resort.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

morcegoa330

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi all,

Hi Peter,

I'm Brazilian althought living abroad for quite a while. Tickets from GRU (or CGH) to GIG or (SDU) can be really cheap. Check www.voegol.com.br, www.tam.com.br and www.oceanair.com.br. I think they accept credit cards issued abroad. At least TAM does as I recently booked some internal flights using my UK credit card.

As Debonair mentioned above, Salvador is quite close and there are cheap flights from Rio.

BTW, I have some Brazilian friends living in Brisbane, they are really nice people and if you want to speak to them I'm sure they will be glad to answer any questions you might have about Brazil - so e-mail me and I can give you their phone number. Or if you have any other question I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Ricardo
There's no place like around the world

LipeGIG

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:35 am

3) After my second conference in Rio have approx. 4 free days before my return flight on LAN leaves from Sao Paulo and am looking for a place to relax and switch off before I need to head back to Oz. Anybody have an idea ? Wouldn't mind flying from Rio 2-3 hours.

You can try to book tickets using TAM website (select United States).

What i suggest:

- From GIG fly to SSA as many suggest, or just drive 180Km and go to Buzios and Cabo Frio, very nice cities closer to Rio de Janeiro.
- Instead of doing another RIO-SAO, just call LAN and change your return ticket to GIG-SCL or GIG-GRU-SCL instead of GRU-SCL. Depending on your fare, you can got it for free.

I'm from Rio but now live in New York, but if you need any other info, you can contact me thru private message.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

bps3458

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:04 am

Quoting Morcegoa330 (Reply 3):
Or if you have any other question I can help you with, please let me know.

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 4):
but if you need any other info, you can contact me thru private message.

Hi Ricardo and Felipe,

thanks to both of you for offering assistance. Will check my exact timelines and see what I actually want to do in my spare time and shall contact you directly.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter