DC10Widebody
Topic Author

Iceland Air Economy Special Fare Service

Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:03 am

Hey Everyone!

I just booked a r/t with Icelandair from SEA-AMS in November, I couldn't believe the deal I got it was only $634 including all taxes. Anyway I know I deserve nothing but a seat and that is all I expect, I did see I get to check two free bags which I think is generous of them on this sort of fare and very helpful because I will be gone for two weeks. Anyway when I selected the fare I noticed it did not have a box checked next to complimentary food and I am perfectly fine with this but just want to know what to expect so I can prepare. I had expected a buy on board sort of program for KEF-AMS, but I was wondering if I would have a more traditional international service SEA-KEF. I am extremely excited, I never ever thought I would be flying Icelandair so I am excited to experience it. So if anyone could provide any insight I greatly appreciate it!
Cheers thanks a lot.

Airstud

RE: Iceland Air Economy Special Fare Service

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Quoting DC10Widebody (Thread starter):
just want to know what to expect so I can prepare.

Expect, schmexpect. Never expect anything; just totally prepare.

I always bring some snick-snacks in my carry-on (a baggie of almonds, couple of protein bars, and maybe pick up a sammich at Peet's Coffee post-security).

Raisins (or other dried fruit; like dried apricots mmmm yummy apricots) might be good too; not as dry as almonds.
Pancakes are delicious.

PI4EVER

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Linc:
More specific to your request for information other than the recommended "just totally prepare", all food and beverage is buy-on-board for the US-Iceland and Iceland-Europe segments in Y.
Use the Information link on their website for menu's and pricing.
SEA offers a wide choice of food outlets, so maybe consider eating your dinner at the airport and enjoy a beverage or snack on the aircraft. Bring along some snacks (almonds are great washed down with a cold beer or glass of wine) but enjoy a nice meal in the terminal if you're hesitant to consider purchasing a meal on board. You should have time and opportunity to purchase food in KEF during your stop - coffee, sandwiches, and pastries are very good and reasonably priced.
Take the train from Schipol to Centraal Station to get into the heart of AMS easily, and a fun way to get around is to use the "Canal Bus" instead of just relying on the trams...or your feet. It is a hop-on, hop off service and you can purchase multi-day passes that includes unlimited use of the trams as well. A gazillion bikes to rent as well, but learn the "rules of the road" first for bike use.
AMS can be pricey, but great food and very nice people make it a great city in Europe to visit.
Good Luck and Safe Travel,
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

Pe@rson

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:09 pm

My American relatives are flying SEA-KEF-LHR in October. They too haven't hitherto flown FI.

Enjoy!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

DC10Widebody
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:15 am

Thank you for the responses, particularly PI4EVER. Yes SEA is my home airport and I think you make a good point about having a nice meal before hand, I will probably just end up bringing pre packaged snacks and eating at Anthony's or something before! Anyway thanks for the help again!
Cheers thanks a lot.

Baexecutive

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I had no idea that you had to pay for food/drink on Icelandair...huh...Very strange for a European airline to be doing this on Long Haul.

DC10Widebody
Topic Author

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:27 pm

@ Baexecutive, it's only because I picked the bare bones fare, there were more options with free food and drink as I have come to find out...but this works well for me, the next least expensive option was almost $200 more and with that $200 I'll happily take $20 of it and bring food with me  Wink.
Cheers thanks a lot.

GrinddalCPH

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 5):

As far as I know, FI Y class is ALWAYS buy on board?

I have flown them a couple of times, and it's always been like that?

That is why you can get such cheap tickets with them!

Quoting DC10Widebody (Reply 6):

I Believe the more expensive options are economy comfort ?

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, All Y class is BOB
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway!

AFGMEL

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Err, why not buy on board? Roast chicken dinner is €9 which is about US$13. Generous sandwich is US$6.

Don't know about you, but that's seems very reasonable considering how much you're paying for your flight. I can't remember how much the charge in US airports for food, but that sounds very reasonable to me.

Click here for details http://www.icelandair.us/information/on-board/meals/
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

PlymSpotter

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 am

The on board meals situation must have changed from this February when I flew them, as whilst food was not complementary on the LHR-KEF flight I took, I'm sure it was offered free of charge on the longer flights onwards to North America.

Please excuse the self plug, but you may find this report I compiled useful: IcelandAir LHR-KEF-LHR in New Economy Class

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Thule

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:57 am

Hey DC10,

I was on KEF-SEA on Wednesday, just confirming that meal service is buy-on-board for that flight. Plenty of passengers (almost all American) sitting next to me complained about this, then after 3 hours bought sandwiches and devoured them.

There are two drink services during the flight.

You'll be fine if you decide to pack food with you, or if you eat at KEF. The prices at the airport are pretty good and they have a big selection of snacks, sandwiches, soup...

Have fun, it's a great airline and a great country.

DC10Widebody
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 pm

@PlymSpotter, I did read your report. I found it very helpful in my decision making process and it was nice to see a little preview of what I would be experiencing  Smile.
Cheers thanks a lot.