DTWLAX
Topic Author

Least Efficient Legacy Managements In Last 5 Years

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:13 pm

In terms of overall performance in the last 5 years, which legacy airline management has been the least efficient?
This involves management decisions, customer service, onboard services, etc.

I think US Airways has been the least efficient in the last 5 years. Starting from the failed attempt at a hostile takeover on DL to charging for water on flights, US Airways has made more than a few poor decisions.

Has anybody fared worse than US Airways and Doug Parker?

kcrwflyer

RE: Least Efficient Legacy Managements In Last 5 Y

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:45 pm

I'd probably go with United......

Flighty

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:46 pm

US 5 years ago was massively unprofitable and a dying airline. Today they are hugely more stable and have a relatively healthy business. I do not really see where you are coming from... It sounds lke hype, not reality. My vote would be UA with AA honorable mention.

caleb1

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Glen Tilton at UAL wins my vote. $40 million taken as compensation during a time when UAL was in the throes of bankruptcy. Moving United's headquarters downtown while leaving the bulk of the employees in Elk Grove. How much money did this move cost? Was it necessary? Glen Tilton wins hands down.

JetBlueAUS

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:17 pm

AND THE WINNER IS:

United Airlines and their head-honcho, Glen Tilton!
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Viscount724

Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:13 pm

I would argue that the worst airline managements in the last 5 years are those of airlines that have gone bust and ceased operations.

Two U.S. examples. Very different airlines -- one survived almost 50 years and the other less than 11 months.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Timo Breidenstein
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gordon Gebert JR

Two (of many) non-U.S. examples (7 years and 18 months, respectively).

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ondrej Smrtka
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Revel

LAXintl

Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd give the price the management teams that that came up with the unsustainable concepts such as MAXjet, Eos, Silverjet which even with 100% LF's would have been loosing money.

I'll also give tha management Bozo award to the ExpressJet which dreamed up the branded scheduled service operation using RJ's that nearly took down it, and for which debt the company will be operating under for quiet a while.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Airstud

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:13 pm

I too was nauseated by Glenn Tilton's self-indulgence (wasn't the company paying $17,000/month for a residential suite for him at the Four Seasons?) except nowadays we also have to accept the fact that the airline emerged from bankruptcy and became profitable-like.

Delta's half-/$$ed paint-scheme changes over the past six or seven years, none of which were improvements on the sturdy, muscular, futuristic titles of the 70's and 80's, satisfies me that their top brass are the dumbest.
Pancakes are delicious.