burnsie28

How To Lock-in Airfares For Groups

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi All,
I am trying to figure out how one can lock in airfares for extensive amounts of time for groups. My school group here at college is looking to go to Italy for spring break on a photography assignment. We are looking at flying to Naples and flying out of Milan. Now here is the problem. We are just putting out information to tell people how much it would cost before they sign up, now I know there must be a way that people lock in airfares as many groups i have seen publish this information and even the iten when handing out information regarding trips. But how would one go about this? Any travel agents on here know how or anyone for that matter know how this is done?

andygarrett

RE: How To Lock-in Airfares For Groups

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:33 pm

Your best bet may be to call a couple of airlines that fly the routes you want. Also check their websites. As I recall seeing something about group sales on Delta and maybe USAir.

I have treid on a few occasions to get booking / planning help on this site but pretty much got zero help and response.

Good luck.

PacNWjet

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:40 pm

If your college is large enough it likely will have either a travel office or a contract with a travel agent that handles bookings for college personnel (e.g., administrators and professors attending conferences), groups (e.g., varsity athletics teams playing away games), and events (e.g., arranging for speakers to come to campus). In fact, your college may even require college-affiliated groups to use the approved travel office or travel agent (that's the way it is at my college). Why not ask around on campus about what the customary arrangements are for travel for student groups?

Viscount724

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:44 am

Major airlines probably have a group department and there's likely a link with related information somewhere in their website. Following is one example for AC with general information on their group booking policies.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/grpexpress/

burnsie28

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:00 pm

problem is I don't think that we can get 10 people were not sure of course it all depends on price.

PacNWjet

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 4):
problem is I don't think that we can get 10 people were not sure of course it all depends on price.

As I mention in my previous post, your college likely either has an in-house travel office or a contract with a travel agent (and your college may in fact require you to use that resource for university-related travel). Even if it is just for one person your college's travel office or travel agent most likely has arrangements with preferred providers that offer discounted travel at group rates. Check with your office of student activities before you act on your own.

burnsie28

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Ok we will likely get over 10 people. Here is the probelm when it comes to group travel alliances are worthless. Delta can't even do anything, US will only get it there but book us on LH at full fare. United can connect us, and so can AA, but thats it. NW/DL can't book us on Air France and so on. Its been 2 hrs of pain, finally went to a travel agent so they are looking into it.

As far as the school haveing a travel office the answer is no, the school just books right through NW for flights and Athletics handle all the charter and flights group travel internally.

PacNWjet

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 6):
As far as the school haveing a travel office the answer is no, the school just books right through NW for flights

Well, gee, then I guess I am a bit confused. If your school books right through NW, doesn't that mean that the school has an account with NW and gets preferred rates from the airline? Perhaps your school doesn't have a "travel office," but if it books right through NW doesn't that mean that someone at the school takes care of university-related travel, and why not ask that someone to make the arrangements for you, and won't you get in trouble for not using the school's account with NW to get group rates for university-related travel?

burnsie28

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:53 am

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 7):
Well, gee, then I guess I am a bit confused. If your school books right through NW, doesn't that mean that the school has an account with NW and gets preferred rates from the airline?

The account is for Athletics travel only. It's not available to anyone else at school. The rest of the people just use money within the department to pay.