COEWR2587
Topic Author

Carry On's On ExpressJet

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:54 am

I have a flight coming up on CO with expressjet, and was wondering how big the bins are on those planes. This will be my first time with them. My bag would normally fit overhead on the main fleet, but was wondering if roll-ons are too big with the expressjet. Anyone have experience?
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

NWADC9

RE: Carry On's On ExpressJet

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:57 am

The only thing that'll fit are briefcases, messenger bags, shopping bags, etc. Rollaboards and other large carryons will be checked planeside and returned to you once you get off.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

iairallie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:57 am

In my experience it will probably be too big for the overhead. But you can gate check the bag and collect it plane side.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Yflyer

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 am

Quoting COEWR2587 (Thread starter):
but was wondering if roll-ons are too big with the expressjet.

Yes, a standard roll-aboard is too big for the overhead bins on an ERJ, which as you probably already know is what they fly. You will have the opportunity to gate check your bag if you wish.

COEWR2587
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:59 am

I don't have to pay the fee because of Elite status, but was curious, do airlines still charge to check bags on expressjets? It's not the customers fault the bins are too small to accommodate bags.
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

ridgid727

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:22 am

Quoting COEWR2587 (Reply 4):
I don't have to pay the fee because of Elite status, but was curious, do airlines still charge to check bags on expressjets? It's not the customers fault the bins are too small to accommodate bags.

IIf the bag is checked in at the ticket counter as a piece of checked luggage, and if the passenger does not have elite status, he/she will be charged a checked bag fee. If the passenger is taking his/her allocated piece of carry on luggage, it falls within the parameters of being a carry on, and it will not fit in the overhead bins, or under the seat, it will be "carry on tagged", will be placed in the baggage/cargo area of the aircraft, during boarding, and will be at planeside or on the jetway carry on bin for pick up when you de-plane....you will not be charged for this.

jolau1701

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 am

The same is true for UAX too.

I would think that the gate-tagging of carryons would include all of Continental Connection's flights, not just those flown by Expressjet.

Usually, I am able to put a medium to small duffle bag underneath my seat or I am able to stuff the thing in the overhead bin of an EMB120 or an CRJ200.