JRicco7X7
Topic Author

United 777 Flights To Dubai.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 am

Hello All,
In December I am taking a flight to Dubai out of IAD on United. The website says the flight is on a 777 and from the pictures I have viewed on A.Net, the coach cabin doesn't look "that nice". Small PTV's and and old, crowded 5-2-5 layout. Please let me know what to expect on a coach flight on the long haul to Dubai.

j Ricco

BMI727

RE: United 777 Flights To Dubai.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:21 am

Quoting JRicco7X7 (Thread starter):
Small PTV's and and old, crowded 5-2-5 layout.

That is about right, but it is 2-5-2, but I think that is what you were getting at. Of course Emirates goes 10 wide, so that may not be so bad. In fact 2-5-2 is equal to or superior to 3-3-3 up until the load is something like 80%, so just choose your seat wisely. I don't think that any of them have AVOD though.

I read a rumor here a while back that UA was going to revamp Y in the 777 and add AVOD and that the retrofit would also include a transition to 3-3-3 seating since each AVOD box could only serve 3 seats. I haven't heard any more about that, so it may be shelved or cancelled.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

United1

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):
I read a rumor here a while back that UA was going to revamp Y in the 777 and add AVOD and that the retrofit would also include a transition to 3-3-3 seating since each AVOD box could only serve 3 seats. I haven't heard any more about that, so it may be shelved or cancelled.

Not a rumor, UA converts the first aircraft in February.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

BMI727

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:43 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 2):

Excellent. Hopefully this will help them compete with airlines that already offer state of the art IFE. Heck, some of those planes are about 14 years old so a revamp is about due. Will this refit also extend to the two class Hawaii planes, or just the three class ones?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

N104UA

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:53 am

I don't think that any of them have AVOD though.

No they do not but you have 5 Channels of Movies and 5 Channels of TV and a Map plus Gate to Gate Audio

Quoting United1 (Reply 2):

I have not seen anything from UAL about this
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

bananaboy

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Quoting N104UA (Reply 4):
I have not seen anything from UAL about this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...erience-new-c-f-cabins-update.html

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Detroiter

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:51 pm

if you have option you can try to upgrade to Premium economy it is much better, even at the airport they do have special deals sometimes, just ask. also, maybe you can go with QR, they fly out of IAD via DOH, very nice aircraft and service.

bananaboy

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:15 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
Will this refit also extend to the two class Hawaii planes, or just the three class ones?

The two-class 777's will not be getting any major upgrades.

Please let me know what to expect on a coach flight on the long haul to Dubai.

You'll get two meals, complimentary soft drinks and a trolley service if buy-on-board snacks like shortbread, pringles etc. I don't think you'll get complimentary alcoholic drinks as it's an "Atlantic" service.

QR is a great airline, although for me, UA Y+ and the extra legroom is king. Their entertainment is much more basic than QR. I wouldn't do that flight in Y, but if you purchase Economy Plus, it's pretty comfortable.

It's worth checking out the Ecomony Plus Annual Access option against the one-off purchase that you may be offered checking in online. YOu should expect to pay $100-150USD each way for economy plus, or you can get access for every flight for one year from $349USD.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Qatara340

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:41 pm

In December I am taking a flight to Dubai out of IAD on United. The website says the flight is on a 777 and from the pictures I have viewed on A.Net, the coach cabin doesn't look "that nice". Small PTV's and and old, crowded 5-2-5 layout. Please let me know what to expect on a coach flight on the long haul to Dubai.

Hi there!

If I were you, I would choose Qatar Airways, well since they have 3-3-3 layout, huge PTVs, AVOD, bigger seats... QR also codeshares with UA, so you can still get the points. They are MUCH better than UA.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

Brick

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 am

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 8):
QR also codeshares with UA, so you can still get the points.

Better check that fare code to make sure it earns UA mileage and Elite Qualifying Mileage (EQM). Some Star Alliance fares do not earn 100% EQM on United. Also by flying QR you are giving up the miles that count toward earning upgrades (assuming QR flights are UA mileage earning) and status on UA.

Sometimes it's worth to take a "less comfortable" flight in order to retain/earn benefits in a specific FF program...in the OP's case UA.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...