COEWR2587
Topic Author

Are Cathy Pacific's Slider Seats Comfortable?

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:09 am

I now atleast CX has adapted to using the slider seats as opposed to reclining seats in the Y on the new configured aircrafts. While the concept seems cool, but are they really comfortable? I can't imagine that sliding and lowering the knees is as comfortable as being able to recline, especially on a long haul night flight. Does anyone have experience on these seats or other airlines using them.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/upload/news/080612_p11_cathay.jpg
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

greenair727

RE: Are Cathy Pacific's Slider Seats Comfortable?

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:21 am

I just flew CX to HK on a 74A--and it was NOT preferable to truly reclining in my opinion....

BA84

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 am

I flew two overnight flights in CX's economy shell seat.
Very uncomfortable. The seat cushion is too thin.
Not recommended for sleeping.

BA84

ManekS

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm

I flew it HKG-YYZ-HKG - never again! It feels really weird and reduces your legroom significantly  Sad

LDIkaros

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 pm

I find the new shell seats much more comfortable than the old reclining seats. However, I usually take the CX day flight SFO-HKG and don't sleep at all. I guess the reclining seats are more comfortable for sleeping. Still, the fact that nobody can recline into your face with the new shell seats is a great plus for me. Plus the IFE is much better, too.

Vasu

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Quoting Greenair727 (Reply 1):
and it was NOT preferable to truly reclining in my opinion....

Undoubtedly preferable for the person behind you though!  Wink

NG1Fan

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:33 am

I've flown on the new Y class (and also new J Class) and unreservedly find the new Y seats UNCOMFORTABLE!!

Reasons: while the seat squab slides forward and with it, the recline of the backrest changes slightly, the headrest stays in position. So the thigh to waist angle on the hips changes (as you'd expect on a traditional chair), but the upperback to head angle on the neck also changes (not something you'd expect). And this last bit makes it, in my opinion, uncomfortable.

I've tried to slide the head support up all the way to make the head fit into the gap between top of back support and the bottom of the headrest, but that doesn't make it any more comfortable.

Finally, the headrest with its adjustable wings is made from a leatherette material which acts like a suction cup on the ears. Padding on the backrest is also thin. And in the unlikely event of several free seats being available, it is almost impossible to spread out since the armrests don't go up all the way, and the seat squab has the hard sides from the shell.

On the plus side, nobody reclines into you (that doesn't really bother me to start with), IFE is superb, and the glasses storage next to the screen is neat.

Overall, this CX Diamond (OW Emerald) flyer is taking his business to SQ for his European flights.

NG1Fan

AirbusA6

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 5):
Quoting Greenair727 (Reply 1):
and it was NOT preferable to truly reclining in my opinion....

Undoubtedly preferable for the person behind you though!

Great during the daytime, but surely on 11-12 hour overnight flights to Europe most passengers will want to recline and sleep at some time?
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)