bcoz

Same-day Return Milage Run

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Was thinking of going on an ORD-SEA same-day return mileage run on Friday. Haven't been to SEA in 22 years.... Possibly some Ch. 9 fun.... etc.

How much buffer time would you leave yourself in a same-day return? I wouldn't even leave the secured area of the airport. Just don't want to be all the way out in Washington state without a way back home.

-bcoz

ATCtower

RE: Same-day Return Milage Run

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 pm

For a mileage run, I generally get a connection time long enough to eat overpriced food, and fly back. An hour or two is more than sufficient.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

deltairlines

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Depends.

I did a MSP-IAH-PHX-IAH-MSP same-day mileage run on Saturday (last day to earn DL miles on CO). I flew the same plane IAH-PHX-IAH and was on the ground a total of 35 minutes (enough time to go to the bathroom, grab a newspaper and get back on the plane).

HOOB747

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 am

I did this in July for Premier Exec status with UA (CMH-Philly) and had a turn-around of about an hour 15 minutes. Plenty of time to have some nice Chinese food in Philadelphia's airport before coming back home. Bonus for connecting in and out of LGA. What views of NYC.

Or since you're in Seattle, you can give yourself 7 or 8 hours and visit the Museum of Flight at Renton, I believe, or enjoy lunch at the top of the Space Needle. As long as you're there, might as well enjoy the view.
I love dem planes....

deltairlines

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 am

The reason I like doing quick ones is that if my inbound is delayed, I don't have to worry about missing the outbound - it's the same plane that brought me to my destination. Makes it a lot less stress worrying about getting home that day if doing a simple out-and-back.

So far this year, I've done DEN-GEG-DEN, ORD-GEG-ORD, MSP-MKE-MSP, MKE-DTW-MKE and IAH-PHX-IAH as same-plane turns (and I'm doing a SEA-GEG-SEA in a couple of weeks).