B-787
Topic Author

Most Popular Spotters Area?

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:44 am

I'm here at Clutters Park at LAX and it is almost midnight, but there are quite a few people. I'm just wondering what is the most popular spotters area in the United States and the world?
722,732,73G,738,739,739ER,752,753,762,763,764,744,772,788,D10,M80,300,332,320

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Most Popular Spotters Area?

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:49 am

LAX's In 'N' Out Burger has to be one of the more famous ones - closely followed by Maho Beach in SXM.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

B595

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:52 am

San Francisco Bayfront Park should probably be on the list, although it's not in the same league as In 'N' Out Burger and those kind of places.

C767P

Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:03 am

I like Gravelly Point at DCA. It is fun to sit there for both arrivals and departures.

rgreenftm

Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:42 am

Not sure this is classified as one of the most popular ones, but there is a great park next to the north approach at SEA that is great - adjacent to Employee parking lot. The land holds a Seattle City Water tower/tank, but the land is open to anyone as an open area, and it even has parking for a dozen or so vehicles.

zeke

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 am

Quoting B-787 (Thread starter):
I'm just wondering what is the most popular spotters area in the United States and the world?

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/aviation_photography/
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

petertenthije

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:20 am

In random order:

Schiphol
Sint Maarten
Los Angeles
New York (JFK, LGA, EWR)
Washington (DCA, IAD)
Frankfurt
Heathrow
Miami
Attamottamotta!

727LOVER

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 6):
New York (JFK, LGA, EWR)

The spotting area at EWR is just as good as the one at MCO!  banghead 
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

Cadet57

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:39 pm

In random order:

Hmmm including a few of the most spotter UN friendly airports in the US....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

whappeh

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 7):
The spotting area at EWR is just as good as the one at MCO! banghead

EWR runs a spotters prison too?
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

brilondon

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:43 pm

I have been partial although you have to pay for the privilege, The Renaissance Hotel at LHR.

Quoting C767P (Reply 3):
I like Gravelly Point at DCA. It is fun to sit there for both arrivals and departures.

I would have to say that of the ones I have visited this one would rank high up on my list. The Wendy's parking lot at YYZ is good for spotting arrivals and the road that parallels 33L at YYZ also has my vote.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

petertenthije

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):

I've been to all but MIA and LAX and had no real problems. EWR could have been more spotter friendly for sure, but not terrible either. LGA is great if you don't mind not seeing wide bodies, and JFK is also very good if you got a car. Been to Washington last month and, despite iffy weather, had a great time.
Attamottamotta!

borism

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
In random order:

Yes, and those are not really spotting places, but airports. AMS is the size of a decent city, but every spotter in the world knows Polderbaan.

It would be helpful if there was a list, or better yet GPS placemark collection of spotter places.

JHCRJ700

Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:58 am

DCA is great. You never see anything big. But, seeing those maddogs thunder out is great.
RUSH

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:05 am

ZRH is very open to spotters and photographers.
FRA has a nice viewing deck (shame it's against the sun) and they are fairly open the us enthusiasts - especially with the detailed arrivals information citing type and registration which is available to the public.
AMS is amzing, photographers heaven you could say.
MAN has a good attitude towards enthusiasts.
BHX isn't too bad, although the viewing area could be better.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

KPHXFlyer

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:08 am

Quoting Borism (Reply 12):
It would be helpful if there was a list, or better yet GPS placemark collection of spotter places.

Ohh, but there is,  Smile

http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I've used this on my spotting trips to PHX and LAX. a really good resource, IMO.

thomasphoto60

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:26 am

Let's not forget li'l ol' Houston.

IAH- Has a official viewing area (Lee Rd), in addition to several other off airport venues (just give security a ring first). In addition to the "off airport" locations, spotting is allowed from 3 of IAH's 5 terminals, again give security a heads up that you are up there.

HOU- Hobby has 2 official "off airport" observation parks. Although, I have yet to participate, every 3rd Saturday, the ramp at the 1940 Museum opens up to the public for the increasingly popular "Wings & Wheels" event. Check out the numerous photos of this event in A.Net's DB for some samples. Granted, you'll see a huge selection of WN's fleet, but if you are a General Aviation buff, HOU has more than it's share, as well as an occasional visit from a B-17 and other warbirds.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

clickhappy

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:44 am

For my money I would have to say the Avis lot @ YVR

Woof

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:45 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 10):

I have been partial although you have to pay for the privilege, The Renaissance Hotel at LHR.

I'm with you there. Many times I've made an excuse to get an upper floor runway view room when on business in London.

Spotting not 200 yards from one of the busiest runways in the world (27R / 09L) with a completely unobscured view at the perfect height. Haven't been for a few years, but you used to be able to undo a screw or two and pull the windows nearly full open.
Deleted

Adam T.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:55 am

CLT has an airport overview park where you see spotters, plus it's very popular with the general public!

vv701

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:24 am

Great for spotting but not so good for photography as it is on the north side oif the airport looking into the sun (when it shines). But a significant advantage of the Renaissance (that offers special weekend deals to enthusiasts guaranteeing a top floor room with rumway view) is that it is good for either arrivals or departures on 27R and many arrivals on 09L. (There are no departures on 09L.)

The photographers will either be on the open space at the end of Myrtle Avenue ('A' on the map in the link below) when aircraft are landing on 27L or in the field adjacent to Stanwell Moor Road ('D' on the map) if aircraft are landing on 09R. A per

LHR" target=_blank>http://www.plane-mad.com/guides.php?guide=LHR

Then scroll down to 'United Kingdom' and click on 'London Heathrow Airport'.

jeffrey1970

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:12 am

If you hang out in downtown Anchorage during the summer near where they have the weekend open air market you can see everything from 747's to twin engine otters, and of course lots of 737's.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

flylku

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:33 am

On business I have had rooms 384 and 386 on separate occasions in the Holiday Inn Ariel which is the circular hotel just down the road. These two rooms have a view that is abeam the numbers on 27 Right and you are eyeball level with the flight crew; loads of fun.

MyAviation.net:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photographer © Mike Atherton

...are we there yet?

caetravlr

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:07 am

Has anyone ever stayed at the Renaissance (IIRC that's the one) at ATL? It's been a few years but I have driven up there for the weekend before to watch planes. I'm not a photographer, I just like to watch, so I don't know what shooting is like from there, but the view of at least half of the airport was great.

I checked the wiki mentioned above, but I didn't see any info on spotting at CHS. There isn't really much to see, but I would LOVE to get a closer look at the Dreamlifter coming and going. I have seen it on approach and on climbout but never on the ground. And apparently in a couple of years I will be able to see fresh new 787s in the area.  Smile
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

HAL

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:41 am

Quoting Caetravlr (Reply 23):
Has anyone ever stayed at the Renaissance (IIRC that's the one) at ATL?

That was our crew hotel for a while when I flew for America West. It was a great spotters hotel if you got a room on the airport side. They normally put us on the north side per our contract for quiet rooms, but I often asked for one overlooking the airport. I only got it about half the time - they are popular rooms. I don't know if the hotel can guarantee you one on that side when you make reservations - you'd have to ask them when you call.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

brilondon

Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 24):
I don't know if the hotel can guarantee you one on that side when you make reservations - you'd have to ask them when you call.

You can by reserving a plane spotter break on weekends or by paying a premium for the rooms.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

isitsafenow

Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 9):
EWR runs a spotters prison too

So does LaGuardia. Its call Rikers Island..............
 duck   mischievous 
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

wcs

Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:33 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 24):
you one on that side when you make reservations - you'd have to ask them when you call.

I think this property offers Aviation Enthusiast from time to time, directly via its booking engine/site. These are rooms on upper floor, airport side obviously.

I was lucky enough to spend some times there at the bar some years ago with fellow member ImperialEagle. Lot of fun and good memories there.

WCS
FLY SKYTEAM JETS

gmonney

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:37 am

I am surprised that no one has said LAS, i had a blast there, although the traffic wasn't so great, but coming from YYZ there was a lot of variety that I haven't seen or ever get to see from Canada. Anyway, I was there in November, around this time and the light was simply amazing... best i have ever shot in.... great guys there too, Dave Bud, and Shane. I think the company has something to do with the experience and in LAS if you contact Dave, you will have a great time...

I also agree with Royal, YVR in the winter with the back drop, just stunnning!

G
Drive it like you stole it!

elbandgeek

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:48 am

Despite the lack of variety these days, the neighborhood around MDW is still a great place to go and get some good up close shots. It used to be better when the wall was only a fence, but it's still fun.

SESGDL

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:48 am

MSP is one of the most spotter friendly airports in the US:

-Post Road (parking area for spotters)
-Dog Park located between the 12/30s with great views of activity
-Parking ramp at Lindbergh Terminal
-Parking ramp at Humphrey Terminal
-Observation deck on Concourse C

Just to name a few of the best ones...

Jeremy

LASoctoberB6

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:55 am

Quoting Gmonney (Reply 28):
great guys there too, Dave Bud, and Shane.

And me!! I know, I know, I'm not that important, it's okay.. Big grin
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

LASoctoberB6

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:02 am

http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.ph...ternational_Airport_%28LAS/KLAS%29

This needs to be changed where it says:

"You will see just about every common jet here except a 777. Virgin Atlantic and Japan Airlines use 747-400s . Champion Air uses 727s. Lots and lots of US Airways 737s and America West 737s, A319s, and A320. Also neat to see EG&G 737-200s that fly to/from Area 51 on weekdays. Northwest & Continental also put the stretched 757-300s in here. bmi uses the A330."
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

mrskyguy

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am

LAX being my home airport (and one I fly through very frequently), I've got to admit that Clutters Park (call it Imperial Hill.. Clutter was *not* a fan of commercial aviation and would have shuttered LAX if he'd so had the chance, so don't utter his name here  Wink ) and the Sepulveda In-and-Out locations are phenomenal spotter facilities. Unfortunately both have obstructions, so it's advisable to bring along a scanner and a pair of decent bincocs to keep on the up-and-up, as the unique birds will sneak up on you.

Last week I was sitting at Imperial with my son, when the Raytheon 727 departed.. followed not long after by a Southern Air 742 which landed so hard I thought he'd bent a wheel truck. The smell of burnt Goodrich was everywhere after that one.  Smile
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

CMK10

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm

The roof of the Terminal 4 parking garage at PHX is a good one. I've gone up there to smoke cigars (and consume the occasional illicit beer) and I've never been hassled by security even though they drive around fairly frequently. The only drawback is that you have to pay for parking.
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

desertjets

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm

ABQ has two official viewing areas.

The north one is off of Girard right next to the WN side of the terminal. You can watch much of the ramp activity and if they are arriving on RWY 21 you get a good view. Otherwise it isn't the best of locations. If 17/35 was used at all then you'd see some action. Only thing I ever saw was a NMA Caravan departing.

The south one is right at the touchdown point for RWY 3, just south of the cargo ramp. Seems like a good location when they are landing on 3 or departing 21. But the volume can be hit or miss. Especially if they are using both 3 and 8 for arrivals.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

YVRLTN

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:35 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 17):
I would have to say the Avis lot @ YVR

YVR in general! This is indeed a great spot, but you can also park unrestricted on Templeton on the approach to 26R, further along mid way along 26R/08L and at the end of 08L. Then theres the south terminal parking lot which is great when 26L is in use and for the south terminal, bizjet & GA traffic, and even Airport Road at the end of 26L is OK if you have decent lens.

LTN also has a famous spot at the crash gates on the east side which is awesome for photography.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

seb146

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Quoting MrSkyGuy (Reply 33):
Sepulveda In-and-Out locations are phenomenal spotter facilities.

I finally got to do that one last May! It was so much fun.

Quoting MrSkyGuy (Reply 33):
both have obstructions, so it's advisable to bring along a scanner and a pair of decent bincocs to keep on the up-and-up, as the unique birds will sneak up on you.

That is the whole fun, for me. Not knowing what comes next.

No one has mentioned PDX, yet. There are pull-outs along Marine Drive that give great views of 28R/10L. The shopping area (IKEA, Best Buy) is good for 28L/10R. Plus, no need to worry about parking since Red Line has two stops there plus the airport itself.

I have always like BFI as well, but that is only good during the week, it seems. Cargo flights come and go more often during the week there. It is a good place to see what is coming or going to SEA, too.

I live under one approach for STS, but the only scheduled service we have is QX. There are a few corporate flights during the week, but not much else.
Life in the wall is a drag.