FWAERJ
Topic Author

Small US Airport Dining/Concessions

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:36 pm

We talk about dining at the big airports, the likes of ATL, LAX, ORD, DTW, and such, all the time. But what about the small airports (less than 1 million pax/year)?

I'll start with two: SWF and (my hometown airport) FWA. When I flew out of SWF on (defunct) Skybus, the choices were decent. There was a Quiznos before security (I like Quiznos-no problem there), and a small cafe attached to the Hudson News after security that had decent but expensive food.

FWA on the other hand, is a different story. There's two options, both run by the same company (Air Host, not to be confused with HMSHost/Autogrill). There's a sit-down restaurant before security that is so-so with dated decor, and a small snack bar after security that's not that good. However, First Class Concessions (which handles food at OKC, PIE, and some stands at PHX T2, among others) is taking over in May, and plans on revamping the menus, atmosphere, and seating. One of the Fort Wayne local papers has an article here: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091222/LOCAL/312229971

What about your hometown small airports/other small airports you have visited?
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

BMI727

RE: Small US Airport Dining/Concessions

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:47 pm

BMI has a small sports bar type place in the terminal, and it is outside of the secure area which is nice. I've never been there because of other nearby options. The old terminal there has been partly turned into an Italian resturant which is pretty good and there is a Buffalo Wild Wings literally across the road from the terminal about 1/4 of a mile away, which is my eatery of choice when I'm in the area.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PiedmontINT

Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:01 pm

MHK has some first rate vending machines in the main lobby!  Wink

There had been talks of a restaurant or coffee shop or something coming in for the longest time but have yet to see anything.. There had apparently been a few mom & pop type eateries in the terminal at one time or another, but none lasted very long (not because of lack of business, but just mom & pop trying to run a business  Yeah sure ) so it seems like every time theres a rumor of someone coming in, they see that they had all failed and never get past the planning stage.

deltairlines

Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:45 pm

FAI had a small bar/cafe post-security. There was that and a newsstand/gift shop there - not a whole lot.

GSO has a Sam Adams Celebrates, a Quizno's and a Dunkin Donuts in each of their two concourses.

HPN has a sit-down restaurant in the terminal (pre-security) that has your basic burgers/sandwiches/quesadillas - I've eaten there a few times driving from Boston to New Jersey.

flymia

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:58 am

Well I have not been through many small airports but.

MSN1.6 million passengers close enough. I remember has one sit down, bar restaurant and a quiznos sub. Pretty nice little airport.
LGB I think it is less then 1 million. Anyway it is small and I never been in the terminal where passengers board but there is that bar restaurant upstairs by the observation deck that looked pretty good.

I been inside Ithaca airport they just have a cafeteria looking place to eat and nothing looked good.

Other small airports I been too are Chalks Old Sea Plane bases and of course all they had were vending machines.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

lincoln

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:22 pm

PLN - Pellston, MI. Everything is before security as security is closed until about 30 minutes before each flight is scheduled to depart and the literal hold room is only sized for ~50-60 people.

Before securiity you have your choice of 3 vending machines (coffee, soda, "food") and there's a restaurant/bar on the 2nd floor that is suposedly fairly good and run by the same family that has a restaurant "in town"
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Maverick623

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:17 pm

HPN has a nice little diner-type restaurant.

And little-known PRC has a burger joint next to the gate, cash only!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

FWAERJ
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 6):
And little-known PRC has a burger joint next to the gate, cash only!

Even McDonald's takes credit cards... hope they have an ATM for those cashless passengers.

I forgot to mention tiny LAW, which only has Eagle to DFW. I never ate there, but there's a small snack bar, "Betty's Airport Cafe", before security... didn't eat there while arriving or departing through there, though. (And yes, it does take credit cards.)
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

texan

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:14 am

LEB had a couple of vending machines. The Perfect Landing at APA (Centennial Airport, south of Denver) is excellent, best food I've ever had at an FBO. Drinking wine and eating steak while watching planes land in front of the mountains and setting sun.

HDN only has a sandwich shop open during winter season. It is not open in summer.

BTV has a snack bar and a restaurant. I haven't used either.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Yflyer

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 am

At tiny LSE (La Crosse, Wisconsin) there's a bar/restaurant outside of security on the upper level called "Vinny's Runway". I haven't eaten there, but it looks like a typical Wisconsin tavern.

Beyond security there's just a vending machine, but that doesn't really matter because the sterile area is so small they don't let you go through security until just before it's time to board your flight.

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:21 am

Continuing off of what Texan said, BTV as a sit down restuarant pre security with good food and a nice place to watch planes they also have a little snack bar/coffee bar near the Hudson News area. Post security they have a snack cart along with a varity of vending machines in both terminals (North and South).