BRABAZON
Topic Author

London Heathrow And London City Observation Decks

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 am

Hello - can anyone tell me if London Heathrow still permits viewing from atop the Queens Building, or did I read recently that the Queens Building was/is being demolished. If so, what recommendations are there for any aircraft observing from atop any of the LHR terminals. I am travelling alone [no car] so viewing from within the airport is currently my only alternative. Also, is London City Airport receptive to observers such as me? Thanks

HT

RE: London Heathrow And London City Observation De

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 am

Quoting BRABAZON (Thread starter):
if London Heathrow still permits viewing from atop the Queens Building

No. The former viewing terrace has been closed since 9/11.

If so, what recommendations are there for any aircraft observing from atop any of the LHR terminals.

No options from the terminal buildings.
And I leave it to people more local to comment on whether spotting from the multi-level car parks is still tolerated or not.
It certainly is not encouraged from the perimeter fence.

is London City Airport receptive to observers such as me?

No problem.
You can walk into the car parking lot located east of the terminal building. IIRC there even are some park benches.
Alternative would be to use DLR to the north side of the airport, but you'd be facing south/south-west then into the sun (if the sun should be out D: )
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

lhr380

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 am

still permits viewing from atop the Queens Building, or did I read recently that the Queens Building was/is being demolished

Queens Building has indeed been knocked down. (At the Heathrow central interchange there is still a sign for the Observation deck  Sad )
Best place to go would be Myrtle Avenue as long as they are on 27L landings as you get fantastic views of the final approach and can stand under finals as well. Get the bus/tube to Hatton Cross, walk towards the BP garage, keep walking past, and you will see a field on the left hand side, stand in there and get some fab views.
Alternately, get to the Renaissance Hotel on the main Bath Road and you can see the landings/take offs from there as well (There is also a aviation shop nearby)
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

02hilliert

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
is London City Airport receptive to observers such as me?

No problem.
You can walk into the car parking lot located east of the terminal building. IIRC there even are some park benches.
Alternative would be to use DLR to the north side of the airport, but you'd be facing south/south-west then into the sun

The best spot to view every movement at LCY is on the opposite side of the dock as detailed above. Take the DLR to Royal Albert, and there are benches located looking over the airfield. Alternatively, take the DLR to the Airport station, and walk the length of the car park walkway. At the end there are places to stand and watch the movements. Seated locations on the airport-side of the dock are very limited, so the Northside might be better if you are going to be there for a while. To walk from Royal Albet to the terminal would take around 20 minutes around the end of the runway.

Spotting at Heathrow is getting harder and harder, but if you follow the instructions detailed above by LHR380 you should find a couple of good spots to watch some of the movements.
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

EI320

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:04 pm

The Renaissance allows access to their club lounge for a fee of around £20 I think. The view from the club lounge is terrific, there's also complimentary drinks and snacks. Well worth going, take the free Hoppa bus from Heathrow Central. Bus journey takes 5-10 mins.

As LHR380 said, Myrtle Avenue is another great spot.

Vasu

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Is the Heathrow Visitor Centre still around? I remember watching landings from their car park a few years back...?

EI320

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 5):
Is the Heathrow Visitor Centre still around? I remember watching landings from their car park a few years back...?

It's still there but the view from the car park isn't the best.

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 4):
The view from the club lounge is terrific, there's also complimentary drinks and snacks

I agree - it's fantastic.

Re. snacks - I had 3 or 4 (small!) plates of their carbonara for dinner. Yum!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

signol

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 4):
take the free Hoppa bus

The Hoppa bus costs £4 each way - however the local busses around the airport are free.

The link in this report Heathrow And UK Domestics - LHR-MAN-NWI (by Signol Dec 4 2009 in Trip Reports)
has a couple of shots taken from the observation terrace outside the Rennaissance and the aviation hobby shop (taken on a phone though!)

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

alasdair1982

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Question Re: The Renaissance Hotel

If one was to book in there for a night in the summer to photograph evening landings on 27R, do reception accommodate requests for an upper floor room with a view of the airport? and do the windows open enough for shots?

Thanks

signol

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting Alasdair1982 (Reply 9):

They offer a special "Spotters Package", specifically with runway view rooms:

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hot...renaissance-london-heathrow-hotel/

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI