Ps76
Topic Author

Airports With Observation Terraces.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Hello(!),

Thought I'd try to ask for people's knowledge about airports in the World with observation terraces or good opportunites for the spotter when visiting. I live in London so was more interested in places in Europe I might be able to visit for cheap but really anywhere in the World is good. Here in Europe so far I know London Gatwick and Heathrow used to have viewing galleries but they both closed years ago although Heathrow has the visitors centre. Besides that Shannon has a viewing gallery (though not too many planes), I heard Munich has a viewing gallery, Dublin has planes visible from airside though no official gallery, Frankfurt Hahn has a viewing terrace (though not too many planes), Friedrichafen has a viewing terrace, Nice has a cafe with quite good views of the runway.

That's pretty much all from me. But any suggestions as to airports known with good apron/runway views or viewing galleries are welcome.

Many thanks,

Pierre.

signol

RE: Airports With Observation Terraces.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Amsterdam has a larger openair viewing gallery landside, on the terminal roof.
Norwich has a landside cafe with good views onto the apron (not huge amounts of traffic though!)
Durban (South Africa) has a small viewing gallery upstairs, but the airport will be demolished this year for the new one - not sure if that will have a gallery.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Severnaya

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:47 pm

DUS also has some decent spotting possibilities, especially the one at the railway station is nice.
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

rogerbcn

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Hola!

HAM has one of the best, you can have a snack or lunch outside, in summer  Wink, and watch the planes come and go.

If you are lucky enough you can see some of the Airbuses, even A380s, doing a turnaround when being tested from the Airbus factory nearby.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Travelling is Living)

sectflyer

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Its small, but there is a good one at HPN.

richcandy

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:50 pm

AKL has an airside viewing gallery.

BFS had a landside viewing gallery but I am not sure if its still open.

BHD has a cafe on the first floor with good views (ok not a viewing gallery as such). From what I can remember this is now airside (used to be landside before recent building work)

airtrainer

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Pierre, you can also consider ZRH, it's really nice for spotting. Just have a look at the related threads in the non-aviation section (search for ZRH meet) to find more info / photos...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Braniff747SP

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:53 pm

LAX, ontop of the Encounter restoraunt, the "UFO thingy"
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

YXD172

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:49 am

There's a great one at FNC that runs along the terminal's roof. Half is airside, half is landside, and I think both sides have cafes open in the summer. All the aircraft are ground-boarded, and the runway is at most 250m away. Not the busiest airport, but a good variety of traffic and a great backdrop for photos.
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

grozzy

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:59 am

SYD international has a decent terrace landside above a bar. View is restricted a bit due to extensions, but you have a good view of the northern part of the main runway across to the domestic terminals.

rsrik

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:24 pm

People seem to be talking of airports around the world... so I will pitch in with my observations: NRT and Haneda both have large observation decks. HND especially is awesome because the surrouding port, the bay, ships, the skyline, the perpendicular runway activity etc. Great backdrop! It also aids the spotting experience that there is a lot of wind, and almost every aircraft is a Heavy! NRT, on the other hand offers impressive views, but not an impressive backdrop.
Here's a clip of the HND observation deck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpfV21bJzE
Sri

airbuseric

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:43 pm

RTM has a good viewing deck overviewing the whole apron and you can also picture the runway with some bigger lens.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

SAAB900

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:50 pm

MAN has a great viewing area,the Aviation Viewing Park although its a short bus ride/drive from the terminals! Actually at the airport the top level of the multi storey car park gives a good view if you can't make it to the Viewing park!
FRA has a good observation deck at T2 & I believe they still do ramp tours! Unfortunately the better T1 deck has been closed for a couple of years now & nobody knows if it will reopen!
Most German airports seem to have a viewing area/observation deck at the terminals,TXL, CGN,DRS,HAJ,LEJ,NUE,STR the list goes on!
PRG has a small terrace between the piers but a better view can be had from the top of the multi storey car park behind the terminal!
BUD has a viewing terrace at both T1 & T2!
WAW also has a good viewing terrace.
MXP doesn't have a official viewing area but most spotters gather behind the Benetton shop(near McDonalds) in T2 which gives great views over much of T2 both runways & I think a bit of T1? Although the police here can sometimes be a bit of a pain in the a*se!

Dave(SAAB900).

P3Orion

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:37 am

Albany Intl' in upstate NY has a nice viewing area. It overlooks the RWY 1/19-10/28 intersection. There is an art gallery that is also on the same level. ATC is piped in so you can listen to ALB Approach, Tower, Ground and Clearance.
I will have a Manhattan.

PGNCS

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:44 am

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 11):
RTM has a good viewing deck overviewing the whole apron and you can also picture the runway with some bigger lens.

Not only that, but Rotterdam as a destination is one of the most underrated in the world. Great people and amazing architecture. The Erasmusbrug ("Erasmus Bridge") is my favorite bridge in the entire world; what a beauty! Can't wait to come back, although I normally fly into AMS and take the train to RTM as it's much easier to get to from the US (and requires no connections from my home airport of MSP).

fiscal

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:07 am

PER (Intl) has a small but enclosed viewing floor - no airconditioning though, and a very nice BBQ area next to the apron with kids play equipment etc - nice and close to the first air bridge.

Ps76
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello(!),

Just to say many thanks for the suggestions so far etc. Should definitely keep me busy with a list of places to go, and even if I'm not going somewhere just to watch planes, it's nice if they have a viewing gallery when waiting for a connection etc.

Many thanks,

Pierre.

RAFVC10

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Fuerteventura has a great terrace once you are awaiting to board your plane, at the right of the main terminal and near to FresCo restaurant.

The views are amazing and in summer season is open an ice cream store.

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

Tobias2702

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:29 pm

TXL has a nice visitor platform (the whole rooftop of Terminal A). Especially good for taking pics of planes pulling into gate, but also side view on the runways. SXF features a visitor terrace, too, but since the northern runway was closed, there aren't so good views anymore.

Note that they are closed in bad weather. Opening ours can be optained from the airport webpage.

Tobias
PA, AF, UK, BA, AB, DL, LH, FR, BD, A3, EZY, DY //// A319/320/346, B733/735/73G/738/744/763, AT4, 146, CR2, DH4

vhqpa

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:48 pm

CHC has a very good open air landside viewing area over the Domestic Pier however close range photo ops are limited to NZ/DJ/JQ 737/320 and NZLink BEH/DH3/AT7.

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"