chootie

Lufthansa.com Livery

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi to all!!!

Is it just me, or is it that LH is really trying to go the way of LCC´s?

Saw two A320´s with the wording "Lufthansa.com" painted above the last few windows of the fuselage.

To me it looks cheap, and awful.  ill   ill 

What are you thoughts?

BTW who doesn´t know how to find a website these days....go figure..  thumbsdown   thumbsdown 
chootie

shamrock350

RE: Lufthansa.com Livery

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

It always looks a bit tacky to me and unfortunately more and more airlines are choosing to do it.

Aer Lingus started adding them during their low fare airline transformation but new aircraft are being delivered without the logo and older aircraft and being repainted without it:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Knut Raddatz

Emirates is another airline that does it:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mehdi Nazarinia

Etihad also has a website logo:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bastian Ding

Shamrock350

LTU932

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:18 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin Von Wedelstaedt

I don't like that sticker either.

Viscount724

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 am

Quoting Chootie (Thread starter):
who doesn´t know how to find a website these days....

It's probably a good idea for airlines with a URL that's not the one you would guess, like Olympic or SAS, where the "olympic.com" and "sas.com" addresses were taken first by other companies. That used to be the case for a few other airlines also. I remember when "delta.com" took you to the large U.S. plumbing fixtures company. DL made a deal to take over their URL, mo doubt for a significant payment. If memory correct, CO had the same problem at one time.

HorizonGirl

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:25 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
It's probably a good idea for airlines with a URL that's not the one you would guess

I agree, this is a good idea. But for airlines with simple URLs that anyone would easily guess, it just looks tacky. Even the classiest looking liveries can't pull this one off.  Sad

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

soon7x7

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 am

Same goes for Air France new look...I would not like to see that junk grace those wonderful schemes...If you don't know how to book a flight on either, perhaps you should be on the "no fly list"...  confused 

Luke

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm

It does often look tacky, but since airline websites are usually now one of the main booking channels for airlines they are a crucial front end of the business and need to be solidly promoted by the airline.

planeguy727

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Despite the progress in booking engines housed in the airline sites, many people still use other sources for finding airfares - especially if s/he is seeking the lowest possible cost. As such a company needs to remind travelers there are benefits to booking directly with the airline. And I firmly believe that airlines are doing this to try and keep traffic away from the other sites.

If you remember, many airlines offered bonus ff miles for booking on their website (at least in the USA). US brought this back recently, though only for the first flight booked on the new site and only if you registered for the bonus.

Quoting Luke (Reply 6):
airline websites are usually now one of the main booking channels for airlines they are a crucial front end of the business and need to be solidly promoted by the airline.

Exactly - it's a business decision. And by putting it on the plane it can, potentially, be seen by a wider audience.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

na

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Webadresses usually look tacky, cheap and like an afterthought on aircraft.
But LH does it in a subtle way, same colour, same typeface as the logo.
Not that I think this is necessary. To find LHs website is the easiest thing. Someone must be quite stupid to need the webaddress on the plane to find it on the net.
Anyway, as much as I heard every LH mainline aircraft will soon carry this sticker.