ammunition

Stopped Flying FR Since Card Fee Changes

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi, I know it is still only a few weeks into the new charge policy at FR, I was a frequent traveller prior to this; probably not the highest yielding passenger as most of my trips were just for the sake of a weekend/day away because of the cheap £1 deals. Im wondering if anyone else has changed their behaviour as a result of this.
Since the changes, I no longer visit the FR website, I have no intention of getting a prepaid mastercard and my future journeys will have more of a purpose and I will probably select Easyjet unless there is a marked difference in price. Easyjet also tend to fly to the destinations I actually want to go to (AMS, CDG e.t.c).

Has FR marketed themselves sufficiently to make do without the low yielding (although potentially contributing- in ancillery revenue) passengers such as myself, or is there sufficient demand to fill the planes from other pax? Am I just being a tight-arse in not paying the card fee? Environmentally, this has had a positive impact on my behaviour- that £5 card fee is the difference between my decision against going on any non necessary trip.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

Vasu

RE: Stopped Flying FR Since Card Fee Changes

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 pm

I am like you in the respect that I use FR a lot for short trips / days away, and have not yet booked anything with them in the past few weeks...

I must say that I'll probably go for one of these prepaid cards - by the sounds of it, you just top it up with the relevant amount and spend it on the FR website... much as I did with my Visa Electron account.

airtrainer

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 pm

I haven't booked a FR flight over the last months, how did they change their policies ?
Life is short : eat dessert first !

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Darn, do they now charge for Visa Electron cards as well? Mine has been useful in saving me money, but now I'll just switch to whatever is free if they have started charging for them too. I seem to recall that they have to have at least one form of free payment in order to advertise fares of £5 all in legitimately, otherwise the OFT will fine them.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

signol

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:47 am

I now have a Caxton FX currency card in EUR, this will qualify, but they charge a fee for non-EUR transactions. About £3 I think, and per transaction. Downside is they minimum loading of the card is 150EUR, so I have to find some cash or a flight priced in EUR cosing less than EUR0.19 - my current balance!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Vasu

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:07 am

This is the currency card I've been advised to use:

http://www.fairfx.com/travelcardl

Can anyone confirm that it'll do the job? Is there a better one?

FlyKev
Crew

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:23 pm

PrePaid Mastercards come in all different shapes and sizes.

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/prep...s/mastercard/mastercard-cards.html is a useful website for comparing the costs of cards etc.

Some cards charge per transaction, others a one of charge for getting one, and others per month.
I never had a visa electron, so FR changing the free visa electron policy hasn't affected me, and in some ways I could see a prepaid Mastercard as a slightly better option for me, mainly because I don't have to open a bank account to get a visa electron. A one off £5 for a card is much simpler.

Alternately, they could be "kind" and allow both types for free, then more people will be happy.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

02hilliert

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

I usually try and avoid Ryanair anyway, but this additional card charge is ridiculous. I've never had an Electron card to begin with, but it still annoys me that they feel that they can treat passengers in this way. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who will keep using them, despite the more comfortable, and enjoyable alternatives. I really hope that we see Aer Lingus and a number of other European flag carriers return to somewhere close to their former glories, and win back passengers with quality services instead of what we're offered with Ryanair. I'm fed up of being asked to board an aircraft that isn't on the ground yet so that I can stand in a freezing cold annex at DUB or STN, it's just not on!
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

Vasu

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Some of us can only afford to take as many flights as we do because of Ryanair's special offers!

SAA738

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 8):
Some of us can only afford to take as many flights as we do because of Ryanair's special offers!

Agreed. My friends over in South Africa always say 'your so lucky' when I tell them I'm off to Dublin (or any other FR destination) for the day. The only reason I go is because the Ryanair flights are so cheap, when I'm over in Africa I hardly fly at all (on airliners that is) because it's always expensive !

Although personally I've been on 11 FR flights, on 9 of these I have had to pay the £5 booking fee for as I don't have a Visa Electron card. I last flew with them last Tuesday on the DUB-LBA route. I haven't got any future flights booked with them as I'm returning to SA next month !
''To fly as fast as thought you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived'' - Richard Bach

Vasu

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Quoting SAA738 (Reply 9):

Out of interest, how expensive are airlines like Kulula and Mango over in SA?

SAA738

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 10):

Quoting SAA738 (Reply 9):

Out of interest, how expensive are airlines like Kulula and Mango over in SA?

Kulula currently have some R299 one way flight offers (that's £25), I've never seen it that cheap before. As for Mango they only fly to four destinations and are just like SAA but a bit cheaper
''To fly as fast as thought you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived'' - Richard Bach

raaadek

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 am

Ryanair is the airline I have flown most. However, it is only due to almost all of those trips being a daytrips motivated only by price. Looking through my flightlog proves that whenever I actually HAD TO or REALLY WANTED to go somewhere, I flew several times with BA, LO, LH, AF, KL, TP, OS, IB, U2, W6, EI but never Ryanair. Sometimes FR is not an option because it doesn't fly the route I need, but also it had never been the cheapest option on those routes / dates I had to fly! Kind of strange!
I also lost my interest in Ryanair since they introduced handling fee for electron cards. (Not that they'll miss me much as I never paid more than £15 for a flight, with 90% of my FR bookings costing £1 or £2 Smile

raaadek

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:27 am

Forgot to add: Thank you, Ryanair for taking me to all these places I would probably never go to otherwise (NYO, PIK etc... Smile) . It was great fun and interesting experience. It is also worth noting that for over 30 legs that I have flown with FR I have never had a slightest problem with them and not even 1 flight was delayed more than 15min. I guess I'm lucky but this alone is an achivement in itself. (2 of my last 3 short-haul flights with BA were late 1,5h each).

skyone

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:04 am

Flew with FR about 30 trips this past 2009. Luckily, I moved back to America in January, so I wont be looking for a Prepaid Card in Spain, where I used to live. Of course I have a Visa Electron, but now it is only worth something at Easyjet. Well, at least it worked with FR when it had to. Thanks FR for letting me tour Europe while on sabatical and letting me know all those places around. MAD a great base with Metro access to the airport and bus access when flights departed at 6 am.