JMackey
Topic Author

ATL Airport Terminal 1961-1980

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:16 am

Friends-

I am searching for any information I can find on this building. From what I hear from a SO/RP/NW retired pilot, this terminal was unique in that it seemed to be added on to constantly, but always over pax handling capacity.

Could you all please provide your experiences ? I am looking for anything and everything.

Thanks in advance-
Jason
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning

dc863

RE: ATL Airport Terminal 1961-1980

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:53 am

I flew into ATL many times as a kid during the 1970s. I remember the light blue trim of the exterior buildings, many times you had no jetway, hallways were narrow, the "roundtable" terminals at the end of the concourses, United had a big presence at ATL back then.
Eastern I think had the western most concourse, United, Northwest had one of the middle ones, then Southern and Delta(eastern most concourses). I'm not 100% on which one Southern had, they may have shared with Eastern.
I flew on Eastern to and from ATL from TLH or JFK on my family's summer trips to Yugoslavia. I think we once flew a Delta L1011 from JFK-ATL and then connected with an EA flight to TLH.
Our Christmas trips to Cleveland from TLH to see cousins were on UA 737s to/from ATL-CLE.
I do remember staying on the Eastern 727 in ATL coming from JFK and continuing to TLH. I actually walked down the rear stairs which were down stood there for a moment and walked back up into the cabin. Nobody said anything or stopped me from doing it. Guess it was a sign of the times back then.
I also have a vivid memory from within one of the roundtable gates of looking up through the upper windows and seeing a Braniff two tone avacado green 727-200 taking off.
Oh and one last memory, little lockers where you put your bags in if your stopover was long, hotdogs from some little restaurant, a very cool shop that had small diecast models, linoleum tiled floors with tiny gold , grey and black flecks in it. So far that's what I can recall.

Ooops one more...........the summer of '76 on an EA 727 I was sitting in the lefthand side window seat as we taxied, I can still see a Delta 727-200 rolling with the 1776-1976 widget through the window across the aisle.

JMackey
Topic Author

RE: ATL Airport Terminal 1961-1980

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 am

Thank you, Sir, for the very detailed response. This is what I am looking for.
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning