Yflyer
Topic Author

When Are Meals Served On Long Haul Flights?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:48 pm

This might sound like a silly question, but I haven't done much international travel and I can't quite remember when we got our meals the last time I was on such a flight (which was several years ago).

In just under a week I'll be on LH455 SFO-FRA and then LH754 FRA-BLR. It looks like I'll be getting two meals on SFO-FRA, I assume dinner and breakfast. I understand when you're crossing several time zones it can be difficult to time meals with traditional "meal times", so I'm wondering when when I can expect to be eating dinner. (I'm trying to decide whether I want to grab a lunch at SFO before the flight or just wait to eat on the plane).

TK787

RE: When Are Meals Served On Long Haul Flights?

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 am

LH 455 leaves SFO at 2:20pm, it is kinda late for lunch. If I were you I would grab something beforehand. You never know, there could be some rough air and it could be hours before you even get water. Trust me, it happens. If all is fine, you will get lunch an hour or so after take off, and a breakfast 1.5 hours before landing and probably a snack in between. (could be a self serve option at the back galley)

iairallie

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:03 am

In general meals are served as soon as they are cooked.

On a longer flight FA's turn the ovens on after about 18,000ft. Then they will do a beverage service with a little bag of pretzels(or snackmix). When that is done they will then start the main meal service. It can take a while to actually get your food but usually the entire meal service is done and picked up between 1.5-3 hrs. after take off.

A lot of times I will either pack or grab a snack but not eat an entire meal. That way if I do get hungry I have something to tide me over.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

rsrik

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi Matt
I frequently fly long hauls... and from that experience I will tell you this - do take sufficient food/snacks along with you  Smile. If you are anything like me, the food they serve on the plane isn't going to remotely fill you, especially in Y. I'd say eat something at the airport, and pack up something to eat mid-flight.
To answer your question: I flew LH from SFO - MAA once, and recall that they served lunch or dinner or whatever it was around 1.5 - 2 hours into the flight. There was another meal service before landing in FRA. I slept the entire FRA - MAA leg, and can't recall what they served or when.
Have a nice flight!