sq_ek_freak

Multi-cultural Or Single Nationality Crew?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:01 pm

As someone who works for an airline known for its multi-cultural crew (indeed we advertise it) I have always wondered whether passengers prefer having crew from all over the world on their flight, or whether they preferred that if they flew with a certain airline, that crew would be from that country, so as to enhance the cultural experience of it all, so to speak. Like some people really like the laid back jovial service attitude of say Hawaiian Airlines or the formality of SQ crew. Some further suppose that having such a varied crew on a flight means that sometimes cultural differences conflict resulting in sub par service, while others feel that having a flight attendant on a flight from Bangkok to Sydney from their home country is a great thing.

What say you?
Keep Discovering

ayubogg

RE: Multi-cultural Or Single Nationality Crew?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 am

I must say I'd rather have a national crew so as to "enhance the cultural experience" as you put it. I wouldn't mind a multi-cultural crew but if I had to choose, I'd say keep them local. I remember how thrilling it is to board a foreing airline; experiencing a new culture the moment you leave the jetway and step in the plane (and at the same time thinking you are still sitting in US soil). It's like an extension of the country you are heading to. I don't know, it's just special for me I guess...

I understand the Mid-East carriers having a very difficult time finding locals to work their flights so it's reasonable they go elsewhere to find their crew. I guess it's what makes flying carriers like EK, EY, etc, special, so for me, flying them means I expect multi-cultural crews. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the reason why these airlines hire such worldy crews? Because they have difficulty finding locals? Or is it because of another reason?

Happy flights!

Ayubogg
Alba gu bràth

andaman

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 am

I love to try new airlines with multi-cultural crews, done that a lot especially in Asia. But sometimes it's great to be able to communicate with the crew in my mother tongue Finnish, like last Nov on an AY flight from NRT to HEL, after spending a month abroad.

Quoting Ayubogg (Reply 1):
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the reason why these airlines hire such worldy crews? Because they have difficulty finding locals? Or is it because of another reason?

In the countries like Arab Emirates the whole service sector is occupied by foreign immigrant workers.
Of course it can been seen as good service also. Global Mid-Eastern carriers like EK, QR and EY promote how their multi-cultural crews are able to to serve the passengers with dozens of languages and I can understand there are lot of passengers who appreciate that.

Finnair have always had multi-cultural crews on their scheduled service to Asia, usually meaning 2-3 FA's based in the destination country on each flight. AY say it is for 'safety and better service'.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

LAXintl

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:44 pm

My personal preference is that crews should be reflective of the airline countries they work for and for good of bad that is part of the local national experience.
Being a very frequent traveller, I often find multi-cultural crews at times out of sync with social or linguistic practices for the countries or airlines they work for which frankly can lead to some odd situations, or poor customer service. In some cases foreign multi-cultural crews don't oven speak the home language of the carrier they work for!
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

nqyguy

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I flew on VS between LHR and HKG- I can't say I held the Asian crew members with much regard, so not totally impressed.

sq_ek_freak

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Quoting Ayubogg (Reply 1):
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the reason why these airlines hire such worldy crews? Because they have difficulty finding locals? Or is it because of another reason?

Mostly due to the fact that the local population is not only small compared to the scope of EK, but also most are unwilling to "stoop" to a job that has a large service component to it, so to speak. Besides, I doubt most on these boards would want to be served by an Emirati  
Keep Discovering